xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eskimmer

Passwords Passwords

Well using crypt wouldnt "hash" anything i would encrypt it as i understand. I would usually use MD5 to has a password, the only thing is once hashed you cant see the original password, this doesnt matter really though as to validate the password you store the hashed version in a DB and then hash the users input so that if correct the two hashes would match exactly. That way even if the site is compromised by a hacker and they get access to the DB they still cant see the passwords either!

I would use MD5 too, I forget the php function that can actually hash a password to md5, but yea, it's an easy way to do it; however, it's not hard to find a program that will crack the hash if a hacker find the hashed password so don't make the hash easy to find.

Check out the following code:

<?php$password = "PASSWORD";	 // Any password$crypt = md5($password);	   // You will get a md5 hash of your supplied string/* * You can insert the data in to table and check with the entered password during login */?>

md5() returns a 32 character long string which is always unique and same for the supplied argument.

If you need more help the post

Notice from rvalkass:

Any code you post must be placed in CODE tags.