xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soviet

Boy Survives Six Hours At Night Lost In Dead Sea

INFO FROM: HERE
JERUSALEM (AP) -- An 8-year-old Israeli boy spent six hours floating in the Dead Sea alone at night after his father left him there by accident during a family trip, police said Sunday.

They said they would not press charges against the errant parent.

The Dead Sea, the lowest point on earth and one of Israel's most popular tourist attractions, has an abnormally high salt concentration that allows swimmers to float on the surface.

Rescue workers said the boy, Shneur Zalman Friedman, from Jerusalem, was in the sea with his father and two brothers on Thursday evening when currents swept him away from shore, without anyone else noticing.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said the family was part of a large group visiting a beach reserved for ultra-Orthodox Jewish men -- who do not bathe in the presence of women -- away from main public areas.

His father left the water with other members of the group and only noticed the boy was missing as darkness fell, Rosenfeld said.

A major search by police helicopters and volunteers in motorboats finally found Shneur about 2 miles from the shore early Friday after six hours in the strong-smelling, corrosive water, Yehuda Meshi-Zahav of the Zaka rescue organization said.

The boy was dehydrated and frightened but otherwise healthy, he said. Shneur told his rescuers he remained calm throughout the ordeal, saying prayers and thinking about his school friends as he floated in the darkness.

"The boy said that he didn't try to swim, he just drifted with the current," Rosenfeld said.

The mineral-laden waters of the Dead Sea helped keep the boy afloat but could have choked him had he panicked and swallowed large quantities, said Omer Cohen of the Megilot volunteer rescue unit.

After hours of fruitless searching, workers had all but given up hope of finding the boy alive.

"We thought we were looking for a body," Cohen said. "We were surprised to find the boy alive and well."

Notice from Plenoptic:
ANY and ALL content copied from another source or published anywhere else must be put into [ QUOTE ] tags. This also goes for anything not in your own words.

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

Thats amazing. Eight years old and he was smart enough not to panic. I would have FLIPPED OUT. Or at least tried to swim. He must be pretty happy with himself, but the dehydration is louzy :P Although Dead Sea water is about the worst thing you can drink.

Wow. I would have never survived that. I can't believe he didn't panic. Didn't try to swim? I would have swam the whole way back! Or passed out after 5 minutes straight. Weird.

Wow lucky kid. Most people would panic i bet. At least they didn't have to worry about him drowning thanks to the salt in the water.You'd think the father would notice sooner imo

Dang I would of killed myself by then haha. Most would begin to lose hope for about 1-2 hours then get dehydrated and go crazy in the ocean panic maybe can't swim and die. Thats crazy tough I never thought you can just drift with the currents haha I really want to try that sometime. I'm also surprised that no sharks wasnt there well of course there hardly near shore but that 2 miles! I'm with Imtay I would of swam too haha if you were taken by the current it wouldn't been that far so might as well swim back. but ehh floating works too :XD:

Yeah, when you are in a state of xenophobia, you normally react really violently or try to do what you assume is the best option, but somehow the boy managed not to turn into a state of xenophobia and reacted calmly, doing this is better if you are religous, but if you aren't it'll take alot more will and courage. He was really lucky to survive, because if you get that stuff on your eyes goodbye sight