xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

The Story Behind Barry Bonds' Home Run Ball 756

Well I never had heard what had happened to the ball that broke Hank Aaron's home run record. So I looked it up and found an interesting story. Matt Murphy, a college freshman, was the man who made the lucky catch. He was staying in San Francisco before flying out to Australia to watch a buddy's sister's movie shoot. They planned it out and bought the tickets 3 weeks before. He says he wants to half keep the ball but he will be charged taxes on the approximate value of the ball if he doesn't sell it, and will be charged more if he does sell it for more than the approximate value. I sort of think this isn't right because it's a college freshman who doesn't have a job, how is he supposed to pay over $200,000 in taxes for something he hasn't sold? I hope he keeps it though. If Bonds is busted for steroids he can get some money back because the value will go down but if it becomes worth more in time he'll have to pay more. I feel this is wrong but I guess that's the way it works.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yeah I heard about, all I have to say the IRS and the government do enough to take as much taxes out of us as they can, yet they need to make a baseball worth millions so someone who can't pay it could go to jail for it :P. If they were smart I would leave it alone, or if the dude was really smart sell it now to the Baseball Hall of Fame and let it stay there to collect dust. They already got the two helmets there, I think bonds is keeping the bats, and right now the guy who has the ball could get ruin if the government does pursue this venture of theirs. I wonder if the owner of the Honas Wagner 1898 baseball card is paying taxes on it, last time I remember that card was worth over $400,000 dollars back in the 90's. Can you smell British taxation without representation again??

He catches a ball in the stands and he gets taxed?!?! So if I catch a ball am I suppost to report it to the government... they can suck on for $1.50 for that $10 ball.

Wow that is really interesting i guess when someone wins the lottery they are losing a lot more than they won in taxes. Does the 1st class pay these high amount on taxes when they sell there baby photos to a magazine?

Well everybody is inoccent if you can prove the opossite, and in the Bonds case, hes clean, not as Mark McGuirre, but clean at all, he is a good baseball player, but the most important thing is that he helped his team, and not only do the homeruns, he also stole bases, pushes teammates and all that stuff that makes him the best SF player in that sport...

Well the dude is going to auction off the ball because the government wants to make their money to fund a war :XD:, I can't believe the dude is going to give it away like that, hell if I was smart I would partially destroy the ball to make it worthless or give them a fake ball and keep the real one :D. It still sucks the government wants to screw someone like that because of the history behind that ball :).

I seriously think that that tax is ridiculous, all they should charge for it is the real price of the ball no the added value, unless maybe he sells it for a fortune. Which I would still think is unfair to the person who caught it.