xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
siefwbas

Wireless Networking

can anyone guide me on setting up a wireless networking between two laptops... does wireless networking work just like cabled ones? ethernet for example?i have two laptops with wireless capability and wanting to play warcraft III between them...now i've been using the ethernet cables and manually set ips to:laptop 1: 192.168.3 mask: 255.255.255.0laptop 2: 192.168.2 mask: 255.255.255.0how can i connect these two wirelessly? does it work the same way?

Well first you need to make 1 laptop your primary connection and have a router connected to it, then make sure your second laptop can receive the signal and it should if you have a wireless PCI card installed on to your laptop. Once you are receive the signal your set really, but if you have set up any type of security make sure both computers have the same settings and you shouldn't have any connection problems. To get to your admin panel type in your browser 192.168.1.1 since all routers use that same ip address, as for password usually they come pre-installed with username: admin password: adminTo sum up:-one computer as your main connection with a router-other computer needs to receive a wireless connection-Make sure both computers have the same security protocals

Well first you need to make 1 laptop your primary connection and have a router connected to it, then make sure your second laptop can receive the signal and it should if you have a wireless PCI card installed on to your laptop. Once you are receive the signal your set really, but if you have set up any type of security make sure both computers have the same settings and you shouldn't have any connection problems.
To get to your admin panel type in your browser 192.168.1.1 since all routers use that same ip address, as for password usually they come pre-installed with username: admin password: admin

To sum up:

-one computer as your main connection with a router
-other computer needs to receive a wireless connection
-Make sure both computers have the same security protocals

There are two types of networks Ad hoc and infrastructure....

The infrastructure is eplained above in which you need a router too

But in a Ad hoc connection you can connect between two wireless devices directly.. Might be slower than a router... Around 11 Mbps instead of the normal 54+ mbps when you have a router..... Atleast you will get connected without spending any money on hardware just to play a game...

Set up both the computers on ad hoc my right click on the wireless network and clicking advanced... Choose ad hoc from the list and apply....

Set the wireless connection to connect to the other computer by giving a common name like Home network....

Make sure you have assigned the TCP ip address as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 or any way you want it....

Once you give ssid name for the ad hoc connection on both the computer they will connect with each other...

You can ping and check....

Share files, Share your internet, Share printers, Play games online or offline........