xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

A Golfers Thread

I went without playing and just going to the range a little for a month or so after hitting a 109 at Carrick Knowe despite getting a 105 from my first round in forever.

Bought myself a Tour Golf square headed driver for 30 quid.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Took it to the range and wasn't hitting it great, then moved on to my new 22 degree hybridy wood thing that I got for a tenner which I was hitting well. Not slicing my irons too much either. Went back to driver and I just can't hit it again. Really annoying.

I played the Braids no.1. yesterday. Beautiful golf course but extremely difficult. Lots of lovely views over the city, runny babbits everywhere and surrounded with gorge bushes, wants you to use the iron of the tea.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Some of the greens are extremely elevated which I wasn't used to. I could touch the green but it was at head height, that's just bizarre.

Anyway I went out in 50 which I was delighted with, hitting the ball pure and true about 4/5. When I duffed it I duffed it properly.

Started much the same on my way back in until I hit the 14th hole. Don't know if anyone has played it. Anyway you are up high and can't see where you're driving it to so you have to go about 70 yards to look over the gorge bushes to see the fairway. It isn't the biggest of fairways and a fair smack to reach it. I hit 2 balls and lost them both. Then dropped from the fairway and you stillc an't see the green. Have to hit over more buses. I lose another ball and then realise it's the same green as an earlier par 4. This is without a doubt the toughest hole I've ever played and it really took it out of me. The sun beating down didn't help either.

I then fell apart, was totally knackered and didn't bother keeping my score for the last few holes. Really is an exhausting course and I think I'll have to be fitter to play that one!

It's funny how your mood affects your game. Straight after that hole I couldn't get it together again after taking a proper huff!

I'll play Carrick Knowe again shortly and then I'm playing Baberton for the first time next weekend with a mate.

I hit my personal best today of 96.Amazingly with only 1 par and still a good few scuff shots.I only hit one 7 and nothing worse which was amazing. I holed some great putts to save holes where I scuffed drives, fairway shots or both.My slice starting coming into play once again but my boss showed me that I was standing with the ball too close to me left foot and to put it more to the middle. This made a huge difference with my first shot and a couple later but I did take a couple of huge divots as well playing like that. It seems to be a bit better for my longer irons, perhaps.I still can't hit my driver, need to find time to take it to the range.All in all delighted, I've played better I think but 3 putted too often or just had horror holes but looking at my scorecard I was amazingly consistent. Out in 47 and back in with 49.Meant to be playing Baberton tomorrow morning but my mate is frightened of the rain.only one 7, still cheesing!regards,std

So this has just arrived for me at work. I've opened it up with great excitement and stuff and now I'm just sitting with it because there isn't really all that much you can do with a golf club at work. It's not like when the remote helicopter I ordered arrived and I was alive with excitement watching it charge. Anyway, it looks just like my 3 iron really but a little bit heavier and bulkier. Gives me even more reason to get to the range I suppose, may actually head up tonight as I don't fancy the England Germany game and I'll get back in time for the Scotland highlights. Any thoughts on my new purchase? Totally pointless, should I expect to hit it further than my 3 iron. This is 17o. No other golfers on this forum?

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

So this has just arrived for me at work. I've opened it up with great excitement and stuff and now I'm just sitting with it because there isn't really all that much you can do with a golf club at work. It's not like when the remote helicopter I ordered arrived and I was alive with excitement watching it charge. Anyway, it looks just like my 3 iron really but a little bit heavier and bulkier. Gives me even more reason to get to the range I suppose, may actually head up tonight as I don't fancy the England Germany game and I'll get back in time for the Scotland highlights. Any thoughts on my new purchase? Totally pointless, should I expect to hit it further than my 3 iron. This is 17o. No other golfers on this forum?

I was meant to be playing Baberton with my friend yesterday but the course had made the mistake and thought we were playing on Friday. Was pretty annoyed, hopefully playing tomorrow instead now. It's my friends course so should save me a fair bit if I can go round there with him more often at under a tenner a round instead of forking out nearly 20 quid each week to play the council courses. It's meant to be a very good course as well so it's all looking good xd.gif I'm looking at buying a new set of clubs and have been given this advise for MD irons. The MD iron sets available with guide online prices: Aurora: Budget (c �99). I have no idea how good these are but they'd be better than other �99 sets I expect. Black Hawk: Mid (c �179). Good choice as you can buy them in a hybrid set (which means the 3i and 4i are taken out and replaced with two utility clubs) Superstrong OS: High (c �250). Award winning clubs. Big heads which a lot of people like (beginners and high handicappers). Tungsten ti: High (c �270). Award winning clubs. Smaller heads but excellent strike (these are the ones I'd buy if I was in the market). Superstrong Forged: High (c �250). Always on ebay these for much less. Quite old design now but very highly rated amongst better players (who aren't snobs). Forged EQL: High (c �250). These are new for 2007. Never tried them but I think they're the replacement for the Superstrong Forged. Only the superstrong seem to be on ebay when I look so I'm not quite sure what to go for. At the moment I'm playing with 10+ year old California redwoods so could do with upgrading.