xisto Community
campusjunk

The Best Linus Distro

Hey, I played around w/ linux about 5 yrs ago but havent done much w/ it since and was just wondering what everyone's opinion was about the different distros. Im looking to get back into it and was wondering what everyone liked?

Hey,  I played around w/ linux about 5 yrs ago but havent done much w/ it since and was just wondering what everyone's opinion was about the different distros.  Im looking to get back into it and was wondering what everyone liked?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Fedora Core 2 is best free distribution now. It's a legacy of Red Hat. Try it.

FreeBSD and Gentoo are pretty good.

I prefer SuSE for ease of use. YaST is very powerful. If you don't mind a command line installation give Gentoo a try. It is extremely efficient.

SUSE, Mandreke, Fedora for beginnersGentoo, Debian, Slackware for advanced users

SUSE, Mandreke, Fedora for beginners

Gentoo, Debian, Slackware for advanced users

49257[/snapback]

Did you say Fedora is for beginners ?????? I beg to differ here.. Even though Fedora rose out of a Redhat backed community-based project - it is not at all meant for the beginners.. Mandrake, Slackware, Ubuntu and even Gentoo are the ones which infact new users should start with.. Fedora has carved a separate niche for itself among the linux distros by its own right. In fact, the coding and features are so good that it's only comparable to the Redhat Enterprise Server series of Linux..no less.. It's as good at handling servers as the RHEL's are, if not more... I've been using it alongwith RHEL for quite a while on my company servers and I'm thoroughly impressed at its performance, even though I'm using FC2 (The kernel of FC2 is thoroughly optimized for networked rdbms systems). Eagerly waiting to get my hands on a copy of Fedora Core 3.

I read through all these discussions on the best linux distro.. If you want to view the most comprehensive list of linux distro's in the market and read loads of reviews on them - goto: DistroWatch.Org - that's the site to be in for all linux users out there... Also check out my other post on Ubuntu Linux - they're giving away absolutely free copies of their distro on CDs including free shipping...

Cheers ;)

Can't find an edit button... must be blind...Seriously though, I've heard both Suse and Gentoo are good, I'd love to give them a try... *wants more computers* *wait a minute, I see a mandrake installation... die*

Did you say Fedora is for beginners ?????? I beg to differ here.. Even though Fedora rose out of a Redhat backed community-based project - it is not at all meant for the beginners.. Mandrake, Slackware, Ubuntu and even Gentoo are the ones which infact new users should start with.. Fedora has carved a separate niche for itself among the linux distros by its own right. In fact, the coding and features are so good that it's only comparable to the Redhat Enterprise Server series of Linux..no less.. It's as good at handling servers as the RHEL's are, if not more... I've been using it alongwith RHEL for quite a while on my company servers and I'm thoroughly impressed at its performance, even though I'm using FC2 (The kernel of FC2 is thoroughly optimized for networked rdbms systems). Eagerly waiting to get my hands on a copy of Fedora Core 3.

I read through all these discussions on the best linux distro.. If you want to view the most comprehensive list of linux distro's in the market and read loads of reviews on them - goto: DistroWatch.Org - that's the site to be in for all linux users out there... Also check out my other post on Ubuntu Linux - they're giving away absolutely free copies of their distro on CDs including free shipping...

Cheers :angry:

52343[/snapback]

Gentoo is easy for beginners? You must be kidding me. It's a distro aimed at experts. It has no installation interface and it requires you to compile the Linux with the available packages. or use ebuild to install stuff into the kernel.

I can't even figure out how to compile Gentoo. I have used Linux for at least a year or 2.

xboxrulz