xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ojkatii

How To Create A Photoshop Vortex

Hello, I will be teaching you to make a vortex in Photoshop CS3 or CS2.

(Ugh... My comp froze while I was writing this the first time and lost the whole tut, so I'll try again.

First make an image with any proportions. I prefer 1000x1000.

Next pick a primary and a secondary color. You can use anything, and if you don't know what you want, just use White for primary and Black for secondary.

Now go to Layer -> New -> Layer, and press OK.

Then go to Filter -> Render -> Clouds

At this point, I have:

post-47742-1186535102_thumb.jpg

Now go to Filter -> Blur -> Radial Blur, and select these settings:

Amount: 100

Blur Method: Zoom

Quality: Best

At this point, I have:

post-47742-1186535109_thumb.jpg

Now go to Filter -> Pixelate -> Mezzotint, and select Medium Lines

Next go to Filter -> Blur -> Radial Blur, and use the same settings as before.

At this point, I have:

post-47742-1186535119_thumb.jpg

Now go to Filter -> Pixelate -> Mezzotint, and select Fine Dots

Next go to Filter -> Blur -> Radial Blur, and use the same settings as before.

At this point, I have:

post-47742-1186535129_thumb.jpg

Now, you can change the colors and brightness by messing around with the Hue/Saturation.

And here is my finished product:

post-47742-1186535156_thumb.jpg

Tell me if you liked the tutorial. :P

Edited by Oj'Katii (see edit history)

Can you downsize those Images, please.Some are in excess of 900K which is too large for our Members still on Dial-up.Thank you.Nice Tutorial, by the way.

heyAngad619. In graphic designing it's common that everything that can be used somewhere. Okjati already has given a good example ( a Desktop Background ). IT can be used on any signs too. An Avatar is good too. Even as a part of a sig. But anyway good work okjati hey maybe you should put a small part on ow to change the colors of the vortex for some Photoshop beginners

thank you. I love photoshop tutorials. Learn as you create art itself. You see the results immediately. If you drift away from the tut, you end up with something new!!!

Very helpful guide indeed. It's brief, informative, and the step-by-step screenshots really help newbies get a better understanding of it. Thank you for the tutorial, and I hope that I will find some good use for this soon (probably a sig or avatar as was suggested in previous posts).

wow i did this tutorial but instead of doing the zoom, i did spin first then the mezzotint then zoom then mezzotint and then spin and i came out with like a worm hole looking thing. it's crazy here.Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice and simple, thanks for this small tutorial (even if I know how to make something like this :)), it'll help loads of photoshop starters make their first baby steps into the amazing world of digital art.