xisto Community
Will.Allison

Flaming Flamers People Who Post Bad About Other Things

Ok, first off, this post is extremely hypocritical but it has to be said. What really grinds my gears is when people go out of their way to dis and make fun of people who like certain things. For example, someone goes to a Tv show's website just to post "This show sucks". I mean, why the hell bother? Why not just deal with it, accept what other people like, and get on with your life. But noooooo, these jerks have to go and try to make other people feel bad so they can maybe just feel a little bit better about their pathetic lives. Harsh, I know, but sometimes true. The sick thing is, other people have the common decency to not go and bother that person about what they like. So, they get a feeling that they're better than everyone else and can go around and keep dissing other people. Now, if someone were to calmly explain why they do not enjoy the subject, that would be fine. But it's when people go and just say "This show sucks" or whatever with the intention of hurting people, thats what really gets to me. Ok, now my defense. Some of you might think that I was just describing myself in a very ironic paragraph, but I think I am more justified. You see, I am posting to defend the poor innocent people who get dissed for enjoying something. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, I am just venting my frustration. Thank you for reading.

Edited by Will.Allison (see edit history)

I understand what you are saying. There are always going to be people that do that, they complain and tell you that what you are doing sucks yet they probably like it themselves. Back when I played America's Army, my clan owned our own servers. Time after time again people would come on and tell us this server sucks, and I would ask them why they were still on the server if there were plenty others they could be on. Of course to this they had no answer. Sometimes, I would kick them out just to get rid of them because they usually caused other problems. The same goes with websites and stuff as well, they just think it's fun when really they are wasting their own time. I think it's rather comical.

What's interesting is that the people complaining about the subject usually can't compete with what they hate. For instance; websites. I had a guy in my year constantly telling me my website sucked and how he could make a better one. Unfortunately for him we managed to find his website- hosted on freewebs using a plain template, and found it was pure crap.Same goes for servers. Same thing happened to Pleno- I used to host a CounterStrike server on Linux, and people kept coming on and telling me it sucked. What's more, I decided to make it a surf only server (CS players will understand) and yet a torrent of people; who could easily read it was "Elaks' surf server" would come on and state how much they hated surf maps- even though they continued playing. Why would you bother?

What's interesting is that the people complaining about the subject usually can't compete with what they hate. For instance; websites. I had a guy in my year constantly telling me my website sucked and how he could make a better one. Unfortunately for him we managed to find his website- hosted on freewebs using a plain template, and found it was pure crap.

:P That's funny.
I just ignore these people. They are either bored or needing attention. I almost feel sorry for them because to me, they are losers. Back when I played Runescape(yes I was addicted at a time) people would always call us loser and all other types of words. And now that I've quit, I realize that they are right. Well that's not really the point I'm trying to make :P Just don't bother with these people and laugh at their stupidity.
Edited by husker (see edit history)

Back when I played Runescape(yes I was addicted at a time) people would always call us loser and all other types of words. And now that I've quit, I realize that they are right.

That's kinda harsh. I used to be a Runescape player too, but yeah, you're right.

Back on topic, as elaks said, people who diss other people's stuff usually cannot compete with what they're dissing. I think it is, primarily, a miscalculation on their part. Take websites, for example. They're most probably thinking, "God, this site sucks. Y'know, I could make a better site than this... if I had the time, energy, motivation, etc. In short, the right conditions." Take it from me, I'm speaking from experience :P The thing is, those people they/we diss have managed to come up with that "God-awful" website despite not having the time, energy, motivation, money, etc. In short, the right conditions.

Another possible reason I am aware of but do not practice (No, I'm not being defensive! Stop smirking at me!) is that these people are insecure about themselves that they could only kick where it hurts. I mean emotions here but if you're thinking "balls", you're not that far off :P

Take wealth, for example. How come wealth has become synonymous to sadness? Too many times, I hear people from middle to lower classes scoff and say, "Pah! I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and sad!" Duh? As if it is perfectly impossible to be rich and happy? (No, I'm happy but not rich. Yet.)

How about physical looks? How many times have we heard of those dumb blonde jokes?

Allow me to change my example. I know a lot of you people see gorgeous hunks and sexy chicks in your day-to-day life. (For those living in a monastery, I'd like to add a disclaimer :P) Anyway, we also see a lot of nerds, geeks, goths and, generally, outcasts saying, "I'd rather be a smart nobody that gorgeous/popular but stupid." Again, does popularity or fair looks equate to inferior intelligence? (No, I'm not that drop-dead gorgeous either, but I'm working on it :P)

Really, sometimes, people just diss other people's $#!+, err... stuff, just because they feel immensely insecure not having that $#!+.

Stuff!

Seriously, though, I'd rather be one of those people who diss other people and have fun than those Miss Goody Two-Shoes that mope in their own depressingly gray and boring corners. Ooops! :P

Ignore them. They have no lives. They have nothing better to do than troll and flame. Since they are trolls, the best way to deal with them is to give them no attention for what they do. Ignore them and show that the community could care less about their negative opinions on the subject. Now, there is a place which different opinions can and should be accepted, particularily in boards which discuss political and scientific reasoning. Different opinions are the cornerstone os such sites and should be respected. Sites which are tailored toward people who like a certain subject rather than hate it (for example the Tourettes Guy boards), there is no reason for such opinions to be heard because they are most likely made specifically for the sake of an unwinnable argument for the community (it's not winnable by either side because each side will still continue to have the same opinion no matter the other sides opinion. It's common when talking in terms of Operating system advocacy. Talking to a maccie about how good Linux is will fall on deaf ears and a talking to a Nixer about how good OS X is will fall on deaf ears. This ends up true for religous beliefs as well). To reiterate: don't add fuel to the fire, stamp it out my ignoring them. It ends up being better in the end, because the troll will just end up moving on, as he is given no attention by the community to continue his activities.

I know the people you are talking about, and I frankly agree that people shouldn't go out of their way to make fun of, or negatively criticize something just for the sake of it. It is one thing if someone asks their opinion about a certain subject but to go out of your way is just sad. It really is. I even know people in my school who make fun of just about, or say some sort of comment about, everyone who walks by. It is really disgusting to know that people like that even exist. I don't understand why people can't simple calm down, or keep their mouths shut. Have none of them heard of the saying "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all."? I mean honestly is it really that hard not to say anything! It makes me cringe knowing that people like that often to seem get "back up" from others. I know in my school if you make fun of someone usually there will be at least five other people behind you to back you up on that comment. Even if the person you made fun of has done nothing wrong except be caught by your jerk-radar. But like a lot of people say, what can you do? The best you can do if something like this happens is ignore it, or stand up and do something about it. At least tell them what they are doing is wrong, if they still continue doing it, then let them. If they wont stop then, they wont stop later. I am just hoping that they get taught there lesson when that kind of attitude doesn't work in the "real world" (grown up years). Also to the support they get from their friends isn't exactly helping much either. So to them I am also very disappointed at.-Jester

I think it is stupid to hate on other people when they didn't screw up. I mean, I have got more important things to worry about than your worthless opinion :PYou're just hating because you're jealous.GET A LIFE!

One of the main reason why people do that is because they know that they can get away with it and no one is going to confront them face to face.The internet as it seems in certain cases is almost like a free for all room. In a place where there are virtually no laws, any thing can happen.Yeah certain sites can posts rules of what you can and cant do but people dont care. So what if they get banned, right create another account, use a different IP. So as long as there are people that just act immature this will continue, and sad to say it will never stop.Also another place ive been noticing some bad flamming type issues is with online multi gamming, you cant enjoy playing games anymore cause theres always some one in there mouthing off about something trying to be tough, using bad language.. and it doesnt matter how many times that person is booted from your room or server, they just keep coming back..that is also a very anoying hing that I would say is probably a flamming related issue.

Oh Lordy, if you think it's bad being a gamer, computer geek, or a blonde, you should try being a dog breeder!!!You have thousands of animal rights idiots who think you are the scum of the earth and should die a slow and painful death. Just telling someone they are ignorant is one thing, but when they deliberatly attack you and try to do bodily harm, or destroy your living you really have problems. Thing is, most are completely ignorant of what they are talking about. They read some stupid stories on the internet, and then assume all breeders are the same. Most have never seen a kennel and have no idea of the work and care that the breeder puts into their animals. I guess it's just a "feel good" thing to have a cause and someone's life to ruin.