xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musicfreak

How Turbo Charger Works Turbocharger

i wanna share this will yall...a Turbocharger works with gases that are wasted by the engine and normal air so what it does is puts those two gasses together and sends them in back into the engine...no just because it uses exhaust gasses doesnt mean it uses all of it....it uses only 1/4 of them just so that the combustion will be equal

The reason engines are super charged or turbo charged is to cram or force more air down their "throats" then they could do naturally. So there are two kinds of internal combustion engines: Naturally aspirated and charged, either via turbo or by a supercharger which is belt driven. So, basically, a turbo is inserted into the exhaust stream which spins an internal fan to enormous speeds, like around 15,000 RPMs more or less. This fan is connected to another fan outside of the exhaust drawing in fresh air and adding to the volume of air already being drawn in to the engine through the normal intake. This added air is measured in P.S.I. in America but probably measured in atmospheres in other countries. Basically it's simply a measurement of air pressure being delivered to the intake. All this air gets drawn through the air filter before reaching the combustion chamber, being charged with a small amount of combustible aerosolized fuel, and ejected out the exhaust valve and back into the environment. The result of putting a turbo charger(s) on a six cylinder engine is you're able to retain most of the efficiency of the smaller engine while experiencing the power of an engine that's much larger. It's the answer to the old axiom: There's no substitute for cubic inches. The turbo charger is what makes todays diesel engines much more powerful and palatable to many American consumers. Audi released a "R8" a few years ago to add to their flagship line, the "A8". The only difference in the engine was the "R8" has two turbo chargers and upgrades the power to a very impressive 450 horsepower. The naturally aspirated version in the "A8" only generates around 330 Horsepower.The downside to turbo charging is the physical structure of the engine is often not built to withstand so much torque and power and will often realise a much shorter life then a larger engine with no air charger. Increasing the power output of a smaller engine by 50% or more can cause more stresses on the crankshaft, transmission, cylinder heads and other vital components that it's simply not worth it unless you're planning on it only living long enough to win that race. The reason turbos are more commonly used in diesel engines is because these engines are built of better materials, they're heavier, and just plain more rugged. Turbos have no adverse impact on diesel engines that I'm aware of. Many over the road tractors, most even, get way over 500,000 miles before their first overhaul and they operate under severe loads all day long most of the time. Car manufacturers, on the other hand, use turbos much of the time as a way to save space, to cheat. They want the big power of a big V8 but they also want a light weight car that is small and gets good or better fuel economy. The turbo is a very high stress moving part, too, to add to the potential list of broken parts that can cost money to replace down the road and the turbo requires better motor oil to keep it cool and operating properly. Many people abuse and/or neglect their turbos and sell their cars before they breakdown. Buyer beware! Buying a used car with turbo, even in a diesel, can possibly cost a lot of money down the road a bit. I think I'd stick to Audi for turbos when thinking of gasoline powered cars. I'm not so picky when thinking about diesel engines though. Weather it's German or American I think diesels are far more reliable and much better built then most any gas engines.I hope I've added some much needed insight to the subject of air injection. I forgot to mention there's also the old-school method of injecting air called Ram Injection that's been used for many decades with a lot of success. Basically, you've got scoops in your hood and the faster you go the more air is forced into the motor. Kinda ruins the aerodynamics of the car though...

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Very nice article dude...but shouldnt just copy and paste...the ideas comes off of ur mind not the internet...and where ever u ggot it from please put the link

Notice from truefusion:
You can't state this without proof, or else it's just inconclusive. Until then, this post is off topic. Please remain on topic and avoid any accusations that are without proof. Thank you.P.S. Furthermore, if you find a post that is copy and paste, please report and do not post in the topic saying that it is plagiarism. Thank you.

In this article we will discuss how a turbo charger works and its advantages & disadvantages.
Firstly we shall discuss how a turbocharger does work. In theory it is a turbine spun by the exhaust fumes to power an air compressor that links to your engine. Simple enough? Well let me explain why it makes your car faster. In an engine you combine fuel and air to make an explosion that fires a piston. To make a car faster you can add more air or fuel in the ratio 14 parts air to 1 part fuel. So by compressing the air you are putting into the engine you get more air in the same space and therefore make your car faster.

Secondly we will talk about the advantages of a turbocharger. After installing a turbocharger you usually get a 30% - 40% power increase. Also being lightweight this means you are getting a lot of boost without many drawbacks. However there are a few and i will go on to discuss these.

There are some disadvantages too. When you have a turbocharger installed on your car it creates resistance in the flow of your exhaust fumes and therefore slowing your car down slightly however you are still getting a big increase. Another problem is Turbo Lag, this happens because your turbocharger takes time to get up to optimum speed so it isn't compressing as much air. There are ways to get round this like having 2 turbo chargers, decreasing the weight of it or having a waste gate.

SOURCE: http://www.guyshandbook.com/cars/how-does-rbocharger-work

Notice from Plenoptic:
Giving a link to the source is nice but copying the information word for word is wrong. You must put into quote tags ANYTHING copied from another source or ANYTHING not in your own words.

VERY helpful information here Watermonkey. Until I read this article all I knew was that turbochargers help you go faster. My friend has a turbo charged diesel truck and the turbocharger definately makes a difference and helps with the power, it has lasted him 80,000 miles so far without a problem except for when he ran it dry out of diesel. This helped explain a lot though, I never really knew what they did and how they worked and I sort of wondered. It's just one more thing to push the engine to the limit though. My original dream of purchasing a turbo charged Mustang sort of went down the drain though :P but it will help when I do go to purchase a car or truck. It already helped in my racing game, it explains why I always have damaged cylinder heads.

Very nice article dude...but shouldnt just copy and paste...the ideas comes off of ur mind not the internet...and where ever u ggot it from please put the link

Unless you can find the source please don't accuse of copying and pasting. If you do find they did copy and paste, place a report with the link to the source so that the staff can take care of it. As far as you know until then though is that it is legitament because they may just know a lot about the subject.

he wasnt just copying and pasteing...he wasnt even the Source link from the page he got it from...thats plagirizm

Notice from Plenoptic:
this isn't the place to argue about this, if you'd like further explanation PM me

turbos do not mix gases from exhaust. Turbochargers use the hot exhaust from an engine to spin a turbine. This turbine propeller is connected to a second propeller by a shaft. The second propeller spins along with the first one, but this one is sucking in cool clean air from outside of the engine and it is forcing the air into the engine. This raises the compression and gives more horsepower.

Why is cool air better to use in a motor than warm air? I am assuming cool air combusts more because it expands as it heats - but thats just my logic taking a wild guess.

Why is cool air better to use in a motor than warm air? I am assuming cool air combusts more because it expands as it heats - but thats just my logic taking a wild guess.

Cool air is more dense, thus it contains more oxygen, thus increased explosion in the cylinder when ignited.
Reconraiders: I don't know where you read that a turbo mixes exhaust gasses but if you read my short article you'll see I've described the part of the turbine that is driving the machine as being in the exhaust, but it's turning another turbine (fan) that's outside of the exhaust, pulling in outside air.

Musicfreak:
I wrote up that entire article without using any reference material whatsoever, just pulled it out of my memory and understanding of what I've learned on the topic over time. I've been fascinated with this subject for at least ten years now and I've spent that time thumbing through mags at Wallyworld such as Diesel Power and others reading what I can and continuing to further my understanding. I take it as a compliment, on one hand, that you think I "copied and pasted" the article from somewhere. On the other hand, though, you can not make an accusation like that, EVER, without backing it up. I'd ask you, nicely (for now), to edit your post and retract the accusation. I never would stoop to the level you've accused me of. Put up, or shut up.
Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

Reconraiders: I don't know where you read that a turbo mixes exhaust gasses but if you read my short article you'll see I've described the part of the turbine that is driving the machine as being in the exhaust, but it's turning another turbine (fan) that's outside of the exhaust, pulling in outside air.
I wrote up that entire article without using any reference material whatsoever, just pulled it out of my memory and understanding of what I've learned on the topic over time. I've been fascinated with this subject for at least ten years now and I've spent that time thumbing through mags at Wallyworld such as Diesel Power and others reading what I can and continuing to further my understanding. I take it as a compliment, on one hand, that you think I "copied and pasted" the article from somewhere. On the other hand, though, you can not make an accusation like that, EVER, without backing it up. I'd ask you, nicely (for now), to edit your post and retract the accusation. I never would stoop to the level you've accused me of. Put up, or shut up.

I was referring to the first post by musicfreak. :P Your post was good. Oh and you're not directing that second part toward me are you? I didn't say anything about you copying and pasting. Your post was much more informative then the first post in the thread.

I was referring to the first post by musicfreak. :P Your post was good. Oh and you're not directing that second part toward me are you? I didn't say anything about you copying and pasting. Your post was much more informative then the first post in the thread.

M'kay... I was, directing my hostility toward musicfreak since it's him who's accusing me of plagiarism, right? :P Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)

I just wanted to clarify a couple things about turbochargers, specifically, the names and functions of their parts. A turbocharger has 5 basic parts: Housing, bearing, shaft, compressor, and turbine. The housing just houses the components. The bearing supports the shaft.The meat-and-potatoes of the system is the turbine and compressor. The exhaust gases contain energy that is normally wasted. This energy is in the form of pressure and velocity. In the turbocharged system, we extract the energy from the exhaust gases by forcing it to turn a turbine (15,000rpm is actually slow to some turbines). The gases are then expelled out of the turbocharger to be "discarded".The turbine is connected, via the shaft, to the compressor. The compressor takes in clean air that is at approximately atmospheric pressure (14.7psi at sea level) and compresses it to a certain "boost pressure". When you hear 30psi of boost, it means 30psi above atmospheric, or 44.7psi.This pressurized air charge contains more oxygen than the nonpressurized air for a given volume, and at this point, can be directed into the combustion chamber; however, it also contains more heat. We can increase the amount of oxygen by cooling the air charge, so we send this pressurized air through an intercooler to cool it. This causes the already-dense air to become more dense. This would be the best time to direct that air into the combustion chamber.The faster you spin that turbine, the faster the compressor spins. The faster you spin the compressor, the more boost you get. So how do we control the amount of boost? We use a turbo controller, which controls how much exhaust goes through the turbine and how much gets wasted, or bypassed. When RPM is low, you want it all, but as RPM increases, so does boost, and you can get to a point where there is too much for the engine. A typical stock engine can handle about 7psi of boost. As the charge pressure (AKA intake manifold pressure) reaches 7psi, the boost controller would start opening the waste gate, bypassing the turbine, but keeping it closed enough to maintain the 7psi of boost.There are a couple small problems with turbochargers. One of them is turbo lag. When you hit the gas, you need to burn the extra fuel you just put it, and then it can be used (as exhaust gases) to turn the turbine. This is usually pretty quick, but the turbine takes time to get up to speed. The smaller/lighter the turbine/compressor, the faster it gets up to speed, but it doesn't boost as much as a large turbine/compressor. We can overcome this by using a 2-stage setup, where we have a small turbocharger AND a large one. The small one is used for the initial boost, and then the large one takes over once it spins up. This is called a sequential turbo setup and is used in the 1993-1995 Mazda RX-7, for example.The other problem is that once that intake manifold is pressurized, it needs somewhere to go. Normally, this path is through the engine, but what if you need to let off the gas and go to idle (like after revving up your engine, or getting ready to stop at a red light)? You want your engine to decelerate normally, so you need to release this air, rather than make it go through the engine. That's where we use a "pop-off" valve. Whenever your throttle position goes down rapidly (from you releasing the gas pedal), the pop-off valve opens, releasing the charged air. If we didn't use one, it would actually take some time for the engine to slow down to idle, and you might be suprised how long it actually takes.Well, that's about it for me, and this, too, came straight from my understanding of how turbo systems work. To lend creed to my post, I am licensed to work on Aircraft (Airframe and Powerplant) and I am a soon-to-be race car driver (Honda Challenge) and it was for these purposes that I learned about turbochargers and turbo systems.For the record: In no way did I copy any portion of any text from any source to write this post. It was solely written by myself, Sean G. Foster, for the purpose of educating those who may be interested in learning how turbocharger systems work.

Wow! An excellent post from someone who's actually in the industry. I appreciate all the little details I missed like the waste gate and the release valve. Here's a little subject for you: Talk to us all about Variable Geometry Fans or whatever they're called. I can't recall now, but just as a single engine Cesna or whatever small plane has an adjustable pitch for the prop to vary the amount of air the prop grabs, there are similar features built in to some turbines in higher end turbo chargers...

Turbo Chargers are however just a small touch i've found with enough research you could turn some crap car like a Ford Torus into a sports car really any car can be tweaked Turbo Charge is very well however perhaps the only thing Illegal is the fastest and thats the NItrogen Gas whitch before it was higher priced and stuff my dad got to ride in a car with it and i saw the picture of the speed reader n20 makes huge differences i also recently found with this Turbo Charger that a Celeb's son had a Toyota Supra zup'd up to 1,000 hp and crashed into a cocanut tree his son was actually driving with someone (not with the celeb) they we're both life flighted his son was ok but the friend is actually still in the hospital so basically what im saying is that speed is awesome but if not handeled correctly can be your last thrill if you no what i mean ---> :XD: :)