xisto Community
Ninkul

Whats Important To You When Designing Your Web?

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks is important when they design their website?Personally i like simple, easy to read websites with minimal actual graphics. Most of the websites i make are very graphics light and are usually very dial-up friendly. Just plain but attractive (or at least i try to make it that way :P)

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks is important when they design their website?
Personally i like simple, easy to read websites with minimal actual graphics. Most of the websites i make are very graphics light and are usually very dial-up friendly. Just plain but attractive (or at least i try to make it that way :P)

For me, the most important thing when designing my site is a dialup-friendly interface that is fairly pleasing to the eyes.

Well, let's face it, almost everyone likes good graphics on their sites. A lot of sites I know really take it to the extreme level that, unfortunately, people with dialup connections often cannot appreciate the entire content. (Well, maybe they could, if they cared to wait for twelve minutes or more) Some are even appallingly ignorant to even believe "the more, the merrier" and littering their pages with loads of bandwidth consuming clips from YouTube, online playlists, Google ads and a handful of other plugins, claiming that their pages are Web 2.0. Duh, as if Web 2.0 = Non-dialup

Gah, sorry for ranting but, for me, that is the most important consideration when designing a website.

(Actually, I assume you meant graphical design. Content is, of course, entirely another thing) :P

In our Country Internet connection is not that faster then others. More over I am not that expert to develop web page. But that i believe is that should be small and simple and well planed. I want to make my site like that way so that it is faster. Try to optimize images. or may be small size images. And Every links should be well organize.

Simplicity hands down. Nothing's better than a page being simple. If most of the bandwith is pointless anime pictures and such and it's taking up more data transfer than anything else, consider this: Most people are there for the content. Not the flashy layout.

Im the kind of guy that uses alot of glossy desingz it just feels slicky and alot of people like that but one thing is that when you put slicky web desingz like 2.0 every site is bright.....well i always liked warm colors i mixed web 2.0 with warm color scheme....anf if i get hosted you guys will see what im talking about

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks is important when they design their website?
Personally i like simple, easy to read websites with minimal actual graphics. Most of the websites i make are very graphics light and are usually very dial-up friendly. Just plain but attractive (or at least i try to make it that way :P)

I think the MOST important thing is that the site is accessible to viewers at all times...(no page errors). I also agree with a previous poster who stated that 'simplicity' is important. I think that sites must be formatted in a manner that is user friendly.

I also see lots of nice looking sites that are filled with typos and grammatical error that would otherwise be excellent sites. There is a product review site that comes to mind that I will not mention. The site looks great, has a great layout, is user friendly...the whole nine yards. But, when you look a little closer and begin to read the articles...they are hideously written.

I know that not everyone is a spelling and grammar master, but if you know that you are a poor writer, then PLEASE have someone proofread your content. I'm sure that some viewers of your site won't mind it, but keep in mind that you could possibly lose visitors as a result.

Well, in my opinion it's clean coding as well as simplicity. A while back I used to use nothing but grungy templates that were coded terribly, and never made it through the validators. Recently- when making my layout, I check it with the W3 CSS, and XHTML validator for mistakes. Yes, it took a long time- but it made sure the page was viewable by every single browser. That was another thing; I was always test my site with IE, Firefox, Safaria and Opera before continueing.I think clean cut seperators make a big difference. Having a column for navigation, a column for content, and then a final column if needed for ads and other content really ads to the site. By doing that- you have a 'The more the merrier' approach because all of your content will be evenly distributed. :P

Well, theres two obvious ways to go. When everyone has been saying simplicity, they are talking design. However simplicity can often be complicated to design effectively, which makes it nice. But, sometimes creating that b-e-a-utiful graphical layout that isnt bulky and still amazing... is, well, amazing. I personally dont worry bout dial up users. Anyway, for myself, it depends on the project. If the project contain alot of text, articles, ect... then the site should be developed simple. However, if the content is graphical based... then I believe the site should be heavy. Thats within reason. Of course, good-tutorials.com did a good job, but alot of the sites they lnik to are graphical because they have tutorials. Meanwhile GT is simple, but they depend on a directory which is very textual.So, if you have alot of textual content, then rely on simple. If you have good quality content, then rely on simple. However, if your content if graphical, or lacking - sometimes you have to cover up with a nice layout that makes some "awwweeeeee"'s. In the end, it is in the best interest of the designer. Depending on what you want from your site.

When making my website the most important thing is making all your information easy to access when you need to edit. Cause going in to 100+ pages just to add a new link will take a lot of time out of your design. Another thing is making sure you dont have any loose codes laying around and always validate your html to make sure everything checks out ok.Another thing that is important is making your website template sleek and easy to edit so you can have different style sheets so your sight does not look the same way all the time. Having a web template that is easy to edit will save you a lot of time when making your site. Cause sites that need a lot of work just to change one thing will have a lot of problems in the long one.To sum it all up when designing you should think about functionally,design,and editing your site.

For me, being standards compliant is usually the most important thing. I like to have everything xhtml and css compliant. That should make the html coding fairly clean (which is another thing you need to have). Organization is also very important. I usually start off every website with a root directory and inside of that I will have these directories: "images", "css", "js", and "inc". In college I took a class called "advanced web design" and the teacher recommended that we use only ONE directory for the whole site. Just place all your images and pages inside this one directory. Her idea was to simplify writing code for images and links. With only one directory you wouldn't have to have slashes and dots and relative paths. That was some of the worst advice she could've given though. You MUST organize your website. Keeping a relatively small file size is also important. Keep the graphics relatively small and light. Well, I guess we could sit here all day and talk about what makes good websites, but I guess I will stop now. Those are a few of the most important things in my opinion.

I have to agree that there are still a proportionate amount of dial-up users (old people) but most of the youngans that go to the "pop" websites are kinda broadbandish. I only know a couple of people my age with dialup.I work in technology/stuff shop (*BLEEP* Smith Electronics -- Aus/NZ store) and even then only old people have dialup usually or people that dont use computers much at all that i talk to.

For me, The lay-out of the site. fast or slow loading? the navigations also... easy to navigate that won't take time to find something that you're looking for... and also, but most of all... the content. thats it!

The most important thing for my website is : visitors :XD: The next important thing for me is the way i place my ads, this is very important . most of the users should not be able to identify whether they are a part of the website or jus pure plain ads. So Optimization is very important.after tat i think about the colours and also if its a Register to site , the placement of the register icon plays an important role ,and then but not the least how well my server supports my site., cheers!

I'm a little like the OP on this one. I like simple designs, pretty graphical, but nothing too crazy. I usually use Photoshop to design my main layout and then code it from there and see waht happens. When i'm designing I usually listen to some music or something....get me focused ya know? I've been known to design while a little stoned but that's hit or miss. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not lol. So yea I like pretty basic stuff for now. Haven't gotten too far in terms of glash designing and stuff so I try to keep my stuff simple and easily loadable.