xisto Community
rajibbd

Need Sugation About Flash

I was informed that in web programing Flash is more afster then Java applets or animated images. So that I am thinking about Flash. Now I know that there are many tutorial are available in www. Now can any body help me from where I should start. However I have some question on my mind

Is it difficult to learn?

What tools do I need to install?

Can you recomended any tutorial?

And finally my question is why flash is so famous, is it because of it is faster or have there any other reason?

Flash is not a programming language in the same way that Java is. Flash could be said to be split into 2 parts: Flash itself, and ActionScript. ActionScript allows you to add extra functionality to anything you make in Flash, and is very similar to Javascript in both syntax and the available functionality.

Is it difficult to learn?

Not really. If you get hold of a good book or good set of tutorials that teach you everything from the ground up then you should be able to pick it up fairly quickly. There are also plenty of examples on the Internet, and lots of help available for ActionScript.

What tools do I need to install?

If you are serious about getting into Flash development you'll need a copy of Adobe Flash. Its not exactly cheap, but there is a free trial download available. You can get a feel for the application and the way it works. Most tutorials, and books especially, will focus around this application alone. There are various cheaper and even free alternatives out there, but they don't offer the same functionality.

Can you recomended any tutorial?

Online, all I can recommend is Pixel2Life as a source to find some good tutorials. However, for starting out, you can't beat a decent book. O'Reilly are probably the best people to be looking at for a book, especially for the ActionScript side of things. You can normally pick the books up pretty cheaply second hand.

Why flash is so famous, is it because of it is faster or have there any other reason?

Flash became the industry standard among web developers and designers, and nothing has ever come close to it in functionality. The fact that most people already have the Flash plugin already installed in their web browser also helps (as people don't need to download something just to see a menu for example) although you may lock-out some of the Linux market by using Flash.

Flash is a very powerful tool in web-designing. It can either make or break your website. Some websites are entirely composed of flash movies everywhere, which in my taste is a bit too much. Think of flash as a program that allows you to take movies or animation and add code to it.

Its not exactly cheap, but there is a free trial download available.

Yes flash is quite expensive but if you are a student or teacher in either highschool or university, I recommend getting it with a educational discount. There is quite a usefull site called creation engine which has a lot of popular software like flash for much less, and all you need is to send in a copy of your student ID card.

The full (non-upgrade) version of Flash CS3 will run you about $699, but with creation engine it only costs $245. Quite a deal!\

If you still don't want to lay down that much money, you can go with some alternatives. Even though Adobe Flash is the "official" program, but there are plenty of others out there that can make swf files, but not nearly as powerful as Adobe Flash.

Thanks both of you. It is very helpful reply. There are many version of Adobe Flash tools. and Alex told about Flash CS3 which cost is $699 and in Creation engine site it is $245 still high :P. May be i need to take the back gear. I better think of the trail version. It may be helpful. By the way thank you again.

If you still don't want to lay down that much money, you can go with some alternatives. Even though Adobe Flash is the "official" program, but there are plenty of others out there that can make swf files, but not nearly as powerful as Adobe Flash.

Could you mention the other programs that can make swf files?