xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Using Web Apps Over Wi-fi Such As Gmail Can Be Hijacked

Well now it seems I am a bringer of good news for everyone these days when it comes to security news, in this case WIFI users be warned that if you don't have secure WIFI connection, uptodate firewall and all that good stuff. You could your personal information compromised; hackers and crackers can use the right tools and in this case a tool called a packet sniffer, which picks up data transferred between a wireless router and a computer, a person can turn those cookies into login info and then go to work on your accounts.

The propose solution to keep yourself and your information protected, "users should never use a Wi-Fi hotspot unless they are using VPN (virtual private networking) or SSL (secure sockets layer) to access their accounts." After checking my router to see if I have some sort of VPN protection and yes I do. So if you have a router that is used for your wifi connection check to make sure you have a VPN option somewhere, and also if you plan to use your computer out in the open use precaution I guess.

SOURCE

Here

My router has a security enabled network option which is what we use. I don't want people using the internet my family pays for anyway because otherwise they should pay me. :P Whenever I go somewhere with my computer I don't generally log into things that have my important information. I ought to start using the Random Password Generator I made with Visual Basic to change my password every two weeks but there are so many passwords I would have to change that it'd be pretty hard. My computer saves all my passwords anyway. I think though that hackers can still get into the routers even with the security enabled but it'd be a lot harder.

Considering my wifi connection seems to run out halfway down my back garden, and in the middle of the driveway, I think we'd notice someone sat outside with a laptop trying to use it :P Still, its protected with WPA, despite the problems that caused getting Linux on my laptop to connect to it. My school is going to open up its wireless connection to the students and public in September, so I'm predicting that a lot of this sort of thing is going to go on. Just to be on the safe side, I'll be checking my emails from home.

Wow, I knew hackers could view data transfered on a network, but it never really occured to me that they could use those packets to get my information. Thanks for the warning, i'll be sure to be much more careful when connecting to a public network.