xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shahrukhmalik3.142

Media Player For Ubuntu What are the choices?

I am looking for a skinnable media player for Ubuntu. (http://www.ubuntu.com/).Its a Linux distro.I have tried VLC, which is very good but there are 2 problems:1) It cannot be skinned2) When used with Beryl, it does not show any video or visualisations.I have heard of XMMS and will be downloading it soon.Please help me out in getting the best player.Also, is there a P2P client for Ubuntu? Or will I have to continue using Shareaza with Wine?

Personally, my favourite media player on Linux is Amarok, but that would involve you downloading the entire KDE library for no real reason :PMPlayer is also quite good, and plays virtually any media format you can think of. There are also various skins and themes available to make it as busy or simplistic as you like.

The Ubuntu Wiki has a section on peer-to-peer software - just make sure you stay legal with it.

I am looking for a skinnable media player for Ubuntu. (http://www.ubuntu.com/).

Its a Linux distro.

I have tried VLC, which is very good but there are 2 problems:

1) It cannot be skinned

2) When used with Beryl, it does not show any video or visualisations.

I have heard of XMMS and will be downloading it soon.

Please help me out in getting the best player.

Also, is there a P2P client for Ubuntu? Or will I have to continue using Shareaza with Wine?

Do let me know when u get that. Just switched to Linux on my personal computer.

I've been meaning to switch to a Linux OS for... Months now, but I can't get around to it.I have too much crap I'd have to backup before I attempted it because my computer tends to reject almost anything.But, still being on Windows XP, I do use VLC as my media player, and I find it's pretty much prefect.I don't usually bother with skins, and VERY rarely visualizations, so I don't care about either of those. Plus almost every colour in VLC is customizable without a skin anyway.Plus it's got relatively every media feature I'd need.Especially that Search feature since my main playlist has like 2,300 songs (Yeah, I know it's small :P)But yeahI think VLC is relatively my favourite media player I've ever used (And I went on a binge of trying every player I could get my hands on before I found VLC)

I've been using the Totem Movie Player in Ubuntu. It works quite well and integrates with any codecs that are installed using the Ubuntu package manager (apt-get). It's very simple but gets the job done and is quite stable.Regards,z.

I am looking for a skinnable media player for Ubuntu. (https://www.ubuntu.com/).Its a Linux distro.

I have tried VLC, which is very good but there are 2 problems:
1) It cannot be skinned
2) When used with Beryl, it does not show any video or visualisations.

I have heard of XMMS and will be downloading it soon.
Please help me out in getting the best player.

Also, is there a P2P client for Ubuntu? Or will I have to continue using Shareaza with Wine?

I think VLC is the best media player around... I personally use it on Windows(Sadly I can't game on Linux, so I'm stuck with Windows) but out of probably 50+ programs it has been the best. Fastest, easiest to use, works with all media types "out of the box," etc.

And I thought you could skin it... I know on Windows it comes with new skins so I assumed at least you can do it... Or maybe that's just for Windows? I'm not quite sure.

But even without skins for it, I find it to be the best of everything, :). Why fix what isn't broken?

(Edit : What is Beryl? Not sure what that is/how it affects the video being shown)
Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)

(Edit : What is Beryl? Not sure what that is/how it affects the video being shown)

Beryl is what now is Compiz/Fusion: your desktop effects for Ubuntu.

Also, for OP: You can WINE uTorrent, or just use kTorrent as ironchicken has pointed out.

i got error while installing vlc player from ubuntu software centre Media Player For Ubuntu

thee is a problem while installing vlc player from Ubuntu software centre. How is this happen ? and there is a problem in my monitor that mean there is not enough brightness in monitor. So that there is no program for increasing brightness and gamma. If any one can help please help me.

-reply by Suresh Ghatuwa

ExaileMedia Player For Ubuntu

I've tried a good number of media players on both Windows and Ubuntu and have found the following:

Amarok is almost perfect for my needs, if it was GNOME instead of KDE I'd still be using it. It looks great, works well, and I love that opening a media file adds it to the playlist rather than playing it immediately (handy for creating playlists on the spot).

My Amarok replacement is Exaile which is based on Amarok and designed to work in the GNOME environment. I'm not into skinning, and I don't think Exaile offers it, so I'm fine with it just taking on my GTK theme. It's appearance is fairly customizable - I like the option of placing the OSD wherever you want. Opened media files are queued rather than being played, as with Amarok.

Another alternative is Jet Audio, which is my favourite Windows player, and does work decently well under Wine.

I've also used Banshee and RhythmBox, which both work well but didn't blow me away. And, as other people mentioned, VLC is a great player but a little basic for my taste.

Oh, for torrenting I suggest Transmission - it is included with the base Ubuntu install and, IMO, it's the best bit torrent handler available. There are some P2P network solutions out there as well, like GTK-Gnutella. DC++ also works on Linux. I don't use either of these myself, but they're available in the Software Channel.

-reply by whidden