xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
finaldesign

Windows Os On Cd system admins will love this handy prog.

Hello all

I've recently repairing some winxp and found this handy utility for making an bootable cd with winxp OS on it.
Basicly you turn on pc, put a cd in cdrom, and boot an xp from cd...
Utility is named Bart's PE Builder, all you need is winxp cd with sp1 and this program.

Bart's PE Builder

You'll find all info on this page...

wow, such an awesome invention ... NOT! I think that Windows and developers for Windows should really stop copying works of other Operating System. Of course using tools of other inventions but don't copy it. Linux is the one w/ the idea having it on a CD like Knoppix Linux.You know what, I'm fed up of Windows copying and stealing ideas.xboxrulz

That is not made my microsoft, it ia a tool that copys the basic files of windows so taht you can run a version while using less resources... i think...anyway, its not made bt microsoft...

Dawg, I think you need to chil (no real hatred intended) but what's so big about linux anyway? I hear everyone talking about it, and I'm still in the dark about it, It's an OS, thanks alot, what about it? Would it be decent for normal people (me) that don't write C++ and all those fancy languages (I'll keep my HTML, perl, PHP, and ASP.Net thank you very much) So explain for me... plzPanda- out

developers for Windows should really stop copying works of other Operating System

Ok, first of all let me explain by quoting what this "BartPE" is actualy:

Bart's PE Builder helps you build a "BartPE" (Bart Preinstalled Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.

It will give you a complete Win32 environment with network support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files to a network share, virus scan and so on.

This will replace any Dos bootdisk in no time!

That's quoted from here.

Only some part's are copycuted:

Used tools/information

PE Builder uses the following:

Mkisofs.exe by Joerg Schilling (GNU-GPL license) for building the ISO image.

I've patched the mkisofs.c source file so that filenames in iso level 4 are stored in uppercase.

Source file: cdrtools-2.01a18-bart.zip (3.2MB)

For latest version check Joerg's FTP site.

The Cygwin DLL (cygwin1.dll) by The Cygwin group at Red Hat, Inc. (GNU-GPL license).

Source file: cygwin-1.5.2-1-src.tar.bz2 (6.42MB)

Bst5 (free edition) by Bart Lagerweij (Nu2 license)

Nu2Menu by Henk de Jong (Nu2 license) (included with PE Builder with permission from author).

Any i'm very good with linux, using it now for 7-8 years...but still im supporting thablkpanda on this debate, coz he's right on that. windows users may want to have same possibilites like linux users...

ok, so practically, this IS Linux using Cywin ... lol...

thablkpanda: Linux is a very stable operating system. The thing that Linux is famous for is it's copyleft software and that most of the software are open source, which means it's owned by everyone and can be modified "freely".

Linux, described by Linux for Dummies (5th Edition); "Linux has been accused of being "just another operting system." On the surface, it may appear so, but if you look deeper, you can see that this isn't so. The Linux project is a FLAGSHIP leading the current trend toward open source and free (as in freedom, not free beer) software within the computting industry. A rock-solid operating system because of the model under which it was (and continues to be) developed, Linux represents much that is good and pure in software development"

That is why there's debates and large conversation about Linux, because it's a great Operating System. Also, there's tonnes of versions and Linux opens up a new market for developers to compete w/ each other.

Linux WAS for techies and hard-core developers; but developers have seen a huge market for mainstream users that Linux has been transform into a user-friendly Operating System.

KDE, the largest desktop environment for Linux, gives an environment that is close to Windows. For more information visit: https://www.kde.org/

P.S: KDE comes w/ most distributions; sometimes it has GNOME.

But, still, Linux still lags in one thing, software compatibility and a more user-friendly environment
xboxrulz

hi finaldesign, that's great, this is a very usefull utility that is must have if living with windows. may be now as the author stated, now is time to leave out ms-dos based boot-up disk, and now go to pe-based solution. this tools made repaire windows system much easily and without to buy ms pe tools still can archive the target. thank a lot. :P

hi finaldesign,

that's great, this is a very usefull utility that is must have if living with windows. may be now as the author stated, now is time to leave out ms-dos based boot-up disk, and now go to pe-based solution. this tools made repaire windows system much easily and without to buy ms pe tools still can archive the target. thank a lot. :)

202283[/snapback]

Man somebody had been digging in the backyard - Magiccode9 the last post in this thread was on Dec 16 of 2004. I suspect these people (if they're not dead yet), probably are NOT monitoring the thread to look for replies. I am being sarcastic, but posting in old threads bumps it foreward and now I click on it and end up miffed because it's an ANCIENT thread. I scrounge through old threads for info all the time but I don't post in them, unless it's an important addition for possible future readers...

Just my opinion.

BartPE tries to emulate M$ invention called WinPE. WinPE is used in Vista(Longhorn) install. But BartPE is used for recovery. I always have to put my BartPE cd into my cd-rom drive once in a while. I also use linux but hasn't boot it often(I'm a gamer lol)

even though this software might have been copied it is still usefull, it does what linux is suposed to do, I can never get my linux disk to boot from disk, it always boots disk to make me install. the only linux that ever worked for me was "*darn* Small Linux" (DSL). only needs two fllopys to boot or a business card CDKeep It Mello,Panda INc.

I totaly agree with xboxrulz windows has a long history of copying technologies from linux! Comon even the Glass2K software thats said to be given out with Vista is also a copy from linux!Why cant Microsoft stop Steeling stuf from talented developers and make up their own technologies? :P:P:P:blink::ph34r::):P:P:P:P:D