xisto Community
htdefiant

Entered The Introduction To C Course

Hey guys,I just got in to Stanford University Online Introduction to C course. They send me materials, and recommend DevC++ from SourceForge as a complier. I'll be frank - I'm afraid of code. My school offered to pay for me to take the course, and it's good experience to have, so I'm taking it. I should get the introduction to C textbook, right? It's recommended as an optional resource.Thanks guys

I don't really know about Stanford's course, but I learned C++ from "C++ for Dummies" and believe, it's not crap, and fairly understandable and readable.The author recommended Dev-C++ too, which is good for console programs, because it includes all the stuff you need to compile it. However if you move to 'window' programming for Windows, I'd take Visual-C++. But that will come in when you have got the basics, and until then, Dev-C++ was my pick too.

Yeah i would recommend using Visual C++ just because it is very easy to use and it is what most developers use in the real world. You can get Visual Studio Express for free online so its not like it will cost you money to use. As for getting the text book, i would say no just because you will not need it. If you have a C question, you can find the answer online without even trying, espicially if it is an introductory course. Plus, feel free to PM me with any questions you have about it since i have been programming in C and C++ for almost 10 years now and I do a lot of complex stuff with them

How you people learn these things I will never ever know! But I guess it is just me I do not have the patience. Well anyways good luck to ya! I hope that you learn better then what I learned.

@htdefiant: You'll never need to move to Visual-C++ ever. And I mean EVER. I'm not saying this because I'm anti-Windows or anything. :P

It's just that the Windows API functions are easily as accessible on Dev-C++. Look up NeHe's tutorials on OpenGL (google it if you need to)

and under the Dev-C++ code section for the windows download to the first lesson to see what I'm talking about.

Plus, if you ever want to get into low-level routines in C/C++ or optimization, I'll be more than willing to help.