xisto Community
squeetox

Wubi: Install Ubuntu With A Single Click From Windows If you are afraid of Linux, its for you

I tried to try it ( :P ) but having a slow dial up connection ordered the original CD instead. From http://www.ubuntu.com/

Its free. I got delivered 27 CDs and distributed to all my friends.

The new version 7.04 rocks.

That's an interesting project. Ubuntu is actually creating a very similar tool where a full-fledged Ubuntu install is done on a Windows partition. Instead of Grub or Lilo, an entry is made into the boot.ini file. Does Wubi treat Ubuntu like a virtual machine or does it actually boot independent of another OS?

Does Wubi treat Ubuntu like a virtual machine or does it actually boot independent of another OS?

It is possible to boot into Ubuntu through the Windows boot loader. You can do this manually yourself without the help of some kind of automatic installer. I saw a tutorial on how to do so, i think, in UbuntuGuide.org. It's useful information, but i'm okay with GRUB or LILO, whichever gets installed by the Distro i'd install. I guess the convenience for this is if you want to remove Linux but not have to go through booting up the Windows CD to restore the MBR. But you would have to manually remove the Ubuntu entry from Windows boot loader, i suppose.

OMG...wonders shall never end. Install Ubuntu through Windows? WOOW, I would never have believed that. Well, it will be a very nice and wonderful software to lay my hands on.Umm...which version of Windows does it suport? and does it support any x86 Windows? Does it support the x64 versions too? I am going stright there to check it out.Thanks so much Squeetox

I have no idea why this received so little attention. I just used this thing to install Ubuntu 7.04 and it was just the easiest thing ever! I didn't have to fiddle around with partitions because this uses your current partition and just creates a folder for Linux to sit in. The way you start up Linux is just by selecting Ubuntu from the choice menu that pops up, and boom, you're in. If you want to get rid of Linux, just go to Windows, go to your drive you installed in (such as C: or D:) , go to the wubi folder, and run the wubi-uninstall application. So simple and effecient, I gotta congratulate Wubi, they really got something here.

That's what I did. I have a manufactur's BIOS password I can't shake so I used WUBI instead. The biggest downside is that it takes about an hour on high speed cable internet. Aside from that, you can choose from Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Edubuntu. It boots and asks if I want Ubuntu or Windoze XP

AWESOME if it works on my external hard drive. thats what im talking about!

It's installed on Windows XP (not sure if Vista is supported) on the same partition as XP. You can see the actual files while in XP and uninstall them from there. I'm having doubts about installing Ubuntu on an external drive, but it could be worth a try.

Awesome, I've always wanted to try out Linux. Now I can without having to get rid of Windows or do anything technical! I've downloaded it and I'm gonna try it out later. I'll post about my expiriences when I'm done.

Wish I could have known about this before having installed it off the LiveCD. It would've been much easier. Oh well, I should be getting a laptop soon and when i do I'll try using this to make the Ubuntu install smoother and easier.

Wish I could have known about this before having installed it off the LiveCD. It would've been much easier. Oh well, I should be getting a laptop soon and when i do I'll try using this to make the Ubuntu install smoother and easier.

The filesystem is inefficient with Wubi, so if you don't mind that, you're good to go. Edited by dre (see edit history)