xisto Community
Plenoptic

How To Survive A Bear Attack

Well I was browsing the web for news, and found an interesting video from National Geographic on how to survive a bear attack. Of course, they first said that if you are every walking around in the wilderness, make loud noises to let any bears in the surrounding areas to take note that you are there. Then they can check you out and won't be startled by you. When they are startled, that is what causes an attack. Although there is still the chance that you may be attacked, so what do you do? Well bears can run 35 miles per hour, so I'd avoid that choice, and considering they are a lot bigger and most likely stronger than you, fighting wouldn't be the best choice either because that'll probably anger them more.

The key is to play dead. 1. Drop down to the ground and lay out on your stomach with your face in the dirt. 2. Place your hands over the back of your neck.
This way your face is protected as well as your neck because the bear is going to come up and scratch you a few times but will lose interest when it thinks you are dead. I've never really thought of what to do in these types of situations other than run, because you wouldn't want to just sit there and get hurt but I guess it's better to get roughed up some rather than die.

Edit: Forgot to post the link to the video: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Plenoptic (see edit history)

They are fast.. but can they maneuver quick? Lol im still going for the run and climb method - cause theres no way in heck im playin dead. These videos are interesting...

My pure instinct would definitly be to run, but i'm sure after it caught up i'd be thinking, "i had better just lay still". *laughs* suddenly the movie "without a paddle" pops into mind. Anyways, it's very good information for hikers and campers, but, i'm more worried about snakes where I live, but that's why I already know to make lots of noise while walking around, you want the snakes to know your coming, they can't eat humans :D . Good information though.

I would run. I mean reading this I am saying like yea I would do that. But then thinking about a bear coming out of no where. I would run like hell! I mean a bear! It might not be the smart thing to do but whatever. :D

Haha, if I had the chance to race a fully grown bear to my death I would take it. That, in my opinion would be an honorable way of dying, and something people could always remember. Plus, if you didn't die, you would get pretty well known by a large population because of the media coverage on incidents like this. Or, unlike me, you could be smart, and like the information said, just play dead :D.

I'd go for the tree everytime!!! I mean, it's a bear. One look and you'd start running. Trouble is it would start rocking the tree!!! now that would be frightening.

There's no way in hell I would go and lay down in it's path of destruction.

I mean, what if it treads on you? You wouldn't be able to breathe. That way there would be no survival even if the bear thought you were dead...

;) In this world, nothing is more important than knowing how to dissuade the aggression of wild animals. More than ever before, there is a pressing need for education in the area of bear assault survival tactics. Especially more and more People ,privately own or breed such animals or have as Pets in this World, with simple as applying for a State Permit to do so. What these owners don?t realize is Bears stay as wild animals in all Respect ,not fully Pets and should never be thought upon as only Pets. But we do! Accidents occur right in our own back yard ,as well out in the wild.Never Allow your Gaurd Down at no Time around any Wild Animal in Wild or as Kept as a Pet.The first and most important step in surviving bear attacks is prevention, and that means preparedness. Whenever one ventures outside, whether for a short hike or a month-long backpacking excursion, one should always have all the necessary tools to ward off possible bear aggression. To avoid startling bears in the wild, be sure to bring a pair of morocco?s or an air-horn on any outdoor trip. These unnatural sounds will ensure that every bear for miles around will know exactly where you are, and thus will not be startled when you cross paths. Most likely would not adventure towards that disturbing sound ,The bear instinct would be to place distance between you and them, especially if mother with cubs. Preparation is vital, but is just as important to know exactly how to proceed if an unavoidable bear attack arises.If you are either out hiking, hunting, or camping you need to be aware if it is bear territory. Being aware if there are bears around will be your first clue on how to act and what to do if come in contact with one .If you happen to spot a bear out in the wilderness and the bear sees you .there are few things you need to do so the bear will not charge you .Bears can attack for a number of reason?s e.g. ,protect territory, food, cubs, and being surprised. Talk softly, calm and slowly.You want the bear to identify you not as a threat ,Back away with your arms and hands raised above your head ,waving them slowly. This will make the bear think you are larger animal and hoply make it go on it?s merry way.Do not make eye contact with the Bear at any time .It will see you as Threat.Do not lose sight of the bear as you are backing away though .You want to know what it is doing at all times.If the bear decides it?s being threatened and charges you ,DO NOT RUN. Stand your ground when its charging .Bears will commonly ?Bluff? charge before they will attack.At this time continue to SLOWLY walk backwards, away from the bear. If the bear continue to charge and is going to attack, lay down in fetal position .If the bear senses no retaliation ,it may see you as not a threat and leave you alone. If you are wearing a back pack ,keep it on ,This will help protect your back during a attack, laying on the ground in fetal position can reduce the level of injury sustained during the attack, if the bear decides to leave ,don?t get up right away ,Stay on the ground and wait more than 10 minutes, The bear can be off watching you ,waiting to see if you run.If the bear does not stop attacking you ,you need to fight back. Try to get up and be loud and aggressive as you can ,Punch for the eyes and snout of the Bear ,This can daze the animal and give enough time to escape .As this may sound foolish to Hear ,Bears are very sensitive to loud sounds and will retreat far from disturbing sounds ,that is hurtful to their ears. Also most sensitive areas of the Bear is the snout and the eyes, will Daze them for brief moments ,enough time for you to escape ."If None these area's work umm Hope to have some cookies or candy ,something sweet on you ,For the Bear will want something in return for punching him between the eyes" :rolleyes:

*laughs* suddenly the movie "without a paddle" pops into mind.

Ha ha, when I found this thread that film also was the first thing to enter my mind!

Back on topic, if I was attacked by a bear I would:-
Not run, I can't outrun most people let alone 35 mile per hour bears,
Not do the correct thing and lie down and play dead. Just not my style ( I lack the nads)
I would try and outwit it using my agility to jump around its attacks etcetera rolling out of the path of destruction. This may get me killed but it would be very cool to watch me do it for a while.

I however am basically a hermit. I remain inside for the most part of my days. I don't intend to enter bears territory so I should stay safe....

Unless they invade MY territory :|

That's a better question what would YOU do if a bear invaded YOUR house :|

This is kind of wierd topic but my mom just saw a bear last week and I am an Eagle Scout and this is what I learned: Avoid close encounters. If you can prevent an encounter with a bear, the rest of the steps are unnecessary. Bears are reclusive creatures, and they generally prefer to steer clear of humans. You can help them to do so by announcing your presence when you?re exploring their home environment: talk loudly, sing, yell... so bears have time to escape you. Be sure to heed local bear advisories and practice proper food storage techniques while camping, and try to hike in open areas so that a bear can see you (or you can see it) from a distance. Leave dogs at home or keep them leashed. If you see bear tracks, make a detour or leave the area. Avoid surprising bears. If you happen to see a bear keep your distance (greater than 300 feet), leave the area. If you need to continue on, make a wide detour around the bear. If the bear has not seen you, do not disturb it: retreat calmly and quietly, and then make ample noise when you are well away to prevent future chance encounters. If the bear sees you, begin speaking in a low, calm voice (it doesn?t matter what you say) and retreat slowly, keeping an eye on the bear but avoiding direct eye contact. Your goal is to communicate to the bear that you are human (i.e. that you can defend yourself and are not frightened) while also letting it know that you are non-threatening, and that you are leaving its territory. Stand tall, even if the bear charges you. If the bear sees you and is closer than 300 feet, or if the bear is approaching you, remain calm and try to look as large as possible. Try to back away slowly DO NOT RUN and speak softly. If the bear continues to approach as you back away, stop and stand your ground. Speak more loudly in a deep, calm voice, and wave you arms to make yourself look bigger. Keep an eye on the bear, but avoid direct eye contact. Do not be aggressive, but do not crouch down, play dead or otherwise show fear or vulnerability. If the bear charges you, muster all your courage and stay where you are: the charge is most likely a bluff, and if you stand your ground the bear will turn away. The steps you take to survive an encounter with a bear will also depend in part on the type of bear. North America has three kinds of bears: brown bears (grizzly and Kodiak brown bears), black bears, and polar bears. Polar bears, of course, are easily recognizable, and their range is limited to the far northern latitudes. Grizzlies and black bears cannot necessarily be differentiated by their colors. Grizzly bears can weigh up to 800 lbs., and they are distinguished by a prominent shoulder hump and a rump lower than the shoulder. Black bears are typically smaller (up to 400 lbs.), and have a rump higher than or at roughly the same level as the shoulder. If you see tracks, grizzly bears have claw marks well separated from the paw imprints, while black bears? claw marks will be quite close to the paw imprint. "Shrink" the bear. A little bear psychology can go a long way?your response to an attack should be shaped by the bear?s motivations. First, if a bear appears to be stalking you (disappearing and reappearing, for example), or if a bear attacks at night, it most likely sees you as food, and any attack will be predatory. If you surprise a bear on the trail, if the bear has cubs, or if the bear is eating from or protecting a carcass, the bear will most likely be acting in self-defense. Climb a tree only under the right circumstances. Black bears are adept climbers, so climbing a tree will do you no good with one of them. Grizzlies, too, can climb a little, and they can reach up to 12 feet into the tree from the ground. Only consider climbing a tree if you encounter a grizzly and you are confident you can make it well up (at least 15 feet, but preferably 30 feet) into a sturdy tree by the time the bear reaches you. Bears are fast, so do not try to race a bear to a tree?you will lose. This approach is usually only viable if you are right next to the tree, and you?re a good climber. Play dead if a grizzly bear or polar bear makes a non-predatory attack. If the bear (other than a black bear) is attacking you in self-defense, you can put it at ease (and save yourself) by playing dead by lying completely flat on the ground. Do so only after the bear makes contact with you or tries to do so. (In the past, bear experts recommended that one fall to the ground in a fetal position but researchers have since proven that doing this only allows the bear to easily flip over the human in question.) To play dead, lie flat on the ground protecting your vital parts with the ground, and your arms protecting your neck with your hands laced behind the neck. Keep your legs together and do not struggle. Once the bear leaves your immediate vicinity, wait several minutes before carefully looking to see if the bear is still around. A bear may look back and may return if it sees you moving. Fight a black bear attack or any predatory attack. If the bear is a black bear, or if you have determined that the bear sees you as food (this is actually quite rare, and more common with black bears and, some say, polar bears than with grizzlies), your only chance of escape is to fight it or scare it away. Hit the bear with rocks, pots, pans, sticks or fists?anything handy, really. The odds may seem against you in a fight, but bears generally do not see humans as prey, and a bear that makes a predatory attacks is usually immature, starving, or wounded, and may easily be scared away if you hit it.

Jeez, playing dead would be the LAST thing i would try to do. First of all, I would go nuts when it scratches me, I?d think most people would scream. Or maybe even laugh because it tickles. Second, i also think that bears aren't that maneuverable, a quick dodge when it's charging at you could probably do it. If it didn?t involve me risking my life I would probably try hitting it on the nose and see its response xD.

Wow. All these posts and I didn't see one mention of the most obvious tool of self-defense against a bear attack there is. Actually, there are two that are quite powerful and effective. There's a product out there made especially for bears. It's a potent cayenne pepper spray that shoots its contents something like fifteen feet or more. The nose of a bear, touched upon in the previous post, is the most sensitive organ readily available to strike that a bear bears. (good pun, eh?) If you're completely caught unprepared, I'd recommend standing up to the beast and if he gets within striking distance, give that beak of his a good closed fist hit, like you mean it. He'll be stunned that you actually countered his attack (most humans lie down so the bear can eat his meal without too much work) and in so much pain as to be quite put off by the whole thing and would retreat post haste. Multiply that many times if he inhales a good nose full of concentrated cayenne pepper. That stuff will actually stun him like a taser stuns a human. Knocks him right out for five minutes or more. And he's going to be disoriented for a while after that. There's plenty of time to make your getaway after stunning your would-be prey. The more lethal option, of course, if things got downright ugly, would be the common pistol of at least .44 Magnum caliber. I'd actually recommend a .454 Casull in a Raging Bull (?) revolver if you knew you were going to have a high likelihood of encountering a polar or Kodiak Brown (Grizzly) because, lets face it, even a .44 isn't much against a charging mass of 1400 pounds. The .454 would drop him right now as long as you hit him somewhere on the head. Even the thick skull of a polar bear isn't too much for a .454 to smash apart and it's still not too much dead weight to strap to your hip either. Personally, since I like bears and think they have every right to consider me a meal (after all, I'm the one invading his territory), I'd prefer the spicy method to the lethal method unless he just doesn't seem to get the hint with the cayenne.