xisto Community
PSTUBb

I Hate The State Of Mainstream Music Mainly Hip Hop.

Okay so there are two sides to this coin. On one side, commercial music has alowed artists to distribute their music across nations and has alowed musicians to get paid rightiously for their hard work. It is the fuel behind music and without it there would probably be alot less good music out there to listen to. If you think about it, it pays for all the major artists, it gets the music heard, it inspires more musicians who create more music and we get a never ending, increasing cycle.On the other side of this very same coin, we find that the same money that fuels the music has also corrupted it. It seems to me like all the big bosses of those record labels and radio stations and media outlets see are dollar signs when they hear music. I mean, I'm about my money but not more than I am about writing and recording quality music. We have reached a point (and have been here for a while) where music isn't made for the sake of making music, it is made for making money. Some seem to have forgotten what music really is. Some seem to believe that music serves one purpose and that purpose it to fatten wallets.When you create songs and base lyrics and melody and style on what will get sold the most, as opposed to how you'd like it to sound, are you still being creative? When you base yourself on demographics instead of what feels right, are you still being true to what you set out to do? I don't think so.Moving on to Hip Hop. All this booty shakin, gun cockin, bubble gum crap is, in my honest opinion, corny and lame. I mean, when it's used to tell a story or convey an emotion or feeling, fine. But when you string words together and repeat them over and over just cause it 'would be dope in a club', are we still even talking about music?Hip Hop started out as a way to give youth in urban areas a way to speak out and get themselves heard. The music industry lets emcees speak their opinions louder than ever before but, with the price of their message being twisted and contorted into what people want to hear. I guess there are different ways of seeing it, different opinions on what Hip Hop should be, what it was and what it will be, all I know is the good music is underground and relatively unheard compared to the shiny packaged noise that comes out of the big labels. This isn't to say there are no fresh mainstream artists, just to say that they grow sparse.

I completely agree with you on every single point you just made... But I must say in addition to what you said that even when music is produced for music these days, it isnt what it was, say... 5 years ago. The music taste of todays musicians just arent as good. And all of todays top stars are just mainstream fluff. They dont really amount to anything to me. I am talking about the disney stars. Like the stupid jonas brothers and hannah montanna. I think people take that crap way too far. The stuff isnt even that great. I think all the disney fluff is just so over rated, where it used to be alright. But on that same note, the stars that come from disney are all turning into freaks one by one. They get super popular and then they cant take it, and they flip out and completely go psycho. Like brittney spears. Need I say more? She went all crazy... too much fame and paparazzi made her crazy. Poor girl had no privacy and there was so much pressure on her. Lindsay lohan... She used to be so adorable. I mean look at the parent trap. So priceless! But look what happens... they all get eating disorders or something. Speaking of eating disorders, look at the mary kate & ashley twins. They started out real early on full house. Now they are like all slutty and anorexic or something...im not saying ALL disney stuff is bad, but its amazing what kind of fluffy crap disney spoons out. Easily digestible main stream crap they probably didnt even write. You are completely right, its all about money. I bet Disney makes millions off of hannah montanna alone. thats not including the other crappy stars. Also on the subject of rap, I do not consider that music at all. It used to be...erm... tolerable to say the most. But thats just my opinion. There was at least a real message to it. Now it is all clubbing, booty shakin, drugs, murder, gangs... the sad thing is that a lot of people look up to rappers as role models because they grew up in the ghetto or whatever. And that is a REALLY bad example to follow. I think stupid music is one reason why the intelligence of our country is lowering. All the music and tv tells them school is lame and it doesn't matter. They look at all these rappers and think they can get rich too without high school and college. And I dont think rap should even be considered a genre of music really. I know this whole post is really harsh but I will stand by it. This is what i feel and believe. 'You are completely correct. The best new stuff is all underground. They dont get signed because the music producers only care about easily digestible garbage. Thats not what most of the under-grounders make. They have stuff with real meaning too deep for the new shiny packaged bubbly crap of todays world of music.

I think there's still plenty of good new music out there, and while a lot of the mainstream stuff isn't what I would call good, a lot of people do like it, and besides having a song sound the way you want it to sound, another major reasons a lot of musicians like to make music is to please people and give them music they can enjoy. I think it's not totally fair to say that artists make music the way that will sell rather than what they'd prefer artistically...while in some cases this happens, many artists love what they do. The mega popular artists obviously don't dislike making the music they do, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Also, more people are going to like music, generally, that is better...there are plenty of artists out there who produce total crap that nobody likes and that's why they're never going to be popular.As for hip hop, well I think a lot of music is an acquired taste, and people have totally different tastes. I personally am not a fan of hip hop, but I can enjoy listening to it under the right circumstances and I can certainly see the art in it. I agree in that the culture isn't great, but that doesn't mean the music can't be enjoyable.Saying the best new stuff is all underground is definitely not true. There is plenty of decent stuff that's popular BECAUSE it's good. A lot of underground music is total crap, but just because the vast majority of musicians aren't signed to a label means that there are going to be at least some bands out in the vast sea of musicians trying to be heard that are excellent. I think saying that only underground music is good is total elitism. People have different tastes, and that doesn't mean one person's music is necessarily better or worse than anothers... I will contend though, that my brother has the worst taste in music ever. :D

Excellent submission, topic starter. It is the rare individual who steps outside the mainstream to question, let alone criticize, the matrix that enslaves the masses. Music, among other forms of media, is an integral part of "conditioning" youth to adopt the culture of the moment, whatever it happens to be. Sadly, the majority readily adapt to shifts in culture (music, fashion), as advertising genius is well aware. Don't you find it curious how one style of music - so popular with the masses, can be suddenly usurped by another? The masses didn't ask for Hip Hop. Yet, when it was cleverly introduced, they readily adopted the new culture - all the way down to their ridiculous baggy pants and exposed britches. Whenever you see something on a mass scale like this happen simultaneously across the country, you know it's being orchestrated by a very clever puppeteer. Art does not always imitate life. In fact, art is no longer allowed to imitate life. Try getting anything that doesn't fit into the approved mold of mainstream media on the air and see what happens.

I was quite happy with the hair bands of the 80's, but someone on high decided that all radio stations, all across the country, would stop playing their tunes in favor of Hip Hop and grunge garbage. I don't recall asking for this trash, yet it was forced upon me by my "betters." They know what's best for me, after all. And what's best for me, apparently - is embracing the knuckle dragging filth currently impersonating musicians.

In the 60's, the culture creators of Madison Avenue promoted hippie bands during their initial stages of destroying the nuclear family that has been the backbone of our great nation. Actually, this agenda is much older, but for now we will concern ourselves with recent history. The culture creators are all but successful in their endeavor, so now they focus on compromising the young with "entertainment" that resonates with only the most degenerate of life forms. I hesitate to call them human. And the thinking man is who doesn't buy into the filth is immediately labeled a racist elitist by the well-conditioned drone. Quite the scam they've got going. Do yourself a favor: Turn off the mainstream crap that's turning others into drones in favor of independent internet radio.

I think what someone considers good music may not be necessary good to someone else. Just like we all have our own taste in Art and sports or what ever activity in life. You guys call main stream music crap but its only your opinion don't forget that. I bet you like bands or groups that I don't even like be it main stream or not that does not affect weather I like the music or not. I can like one track from a group but hate the rest. Music is Music it doesn't matter what race or language. In the end it just air pressure changing that our ears pick up and interpret. Its true that media control does have a leverage on what is played and not but how does that stop you from listening to the music you enjoy? MP3 players are cheap now so just listen to your own music on there and stop complaining about what is being played on the radio. If you want to change it then do something about it. I never really listen to the radio anyway since they advertise a lot. Today at my university it was the first day of the semester for this year and we have a staged setup for groups to play. I had my mp3 on listening to my own music. Rap at this time, Yes you don't like rap but some people like it. You cant discriminate any genre because there is always going to be good and bad in all. Even then its pretty much up to your taste. I like all kinds of music from rock - techno/dance - hiphop and rap. I don't even know why you would complain come on not everyone likes the same thing how silly is it to try and say something is crap when it all comes down to taste. I listen to all kinds mainstream and many lesser known groups. Music is Music just enjoy it and don't expect everyone else to like what you like.

The only point of the music business is to make money.It's run by accountants and marketing people.They are only interested in selling the formulaicproven formulas to the mindless masses.The trendy no minders eat it up.The only way to really make real music is to not care at all about themusic business.Realistically speaking, the music business has as much to do with music as the plastic container making business.Absolutely nothing.

yeah...I Hate The State Of Mainstream Music

I listen to alot of main stream music, mainly hip-hop. But there's times that I get tired of rap because it's always the same thing, most of the time the only mainstream rapper that I listen to is 2pac, but if I'm getting bored of mainstream rap for a bit, I just go to youtube and look up some underground rappers. Yeah.. Then I just start listening to mainstream music that's the cycle for me basically.

I agree with what your saying... Yeah... People who listen to soulja boy, lil wayne, flo rida, kanye west ( yes I like all these artists, so please don't get twisted ) and are role models to them, and love the music, might start becoming like them and it will just destroy the music if more people like these start popping out of nowhere. Honestly I come up with these freestyles while I"m taking a shower that will eliminate all these other rappers on tv right now. But an important reason ( for rap ) why people stopped listening 2pac... Underground rap... Gangster rap... Is because they were tired of listening to violent, sex, drugs, etc. Even if these mainstream rappers stopped talking about drugs, and violent acts, they still talk about money, alcohol, and women. Which is even worse. I listen to mainstream music all the time but I don't want the music by the people that paved the way for them to be forgotten and to be remembered as that last people who actually put their heart and soul into that song. 

as someone that has loved all kinds of music for many years. I have to agree though. Some of the things that are being played and sold now as music, is nothing but noise. I know thats gonna piss off some of you but it is true. Seems as ever other word is Kill this or kill that or Blank you or worse. Then again you have some of these new bands that are just comming around. If you have ever looked around say Myspace you will find a lot of unsigned bands that are not with any lable. Some are just Fan Damned Tastic. But back to the topic at hand. People change just like music does. Willing to bet for the ones that Love the Hip Hop. that when your grown and have kids of your own, your kids will say Turn Down that &^%$ just like your parents do to you now. I know mine did that with me and the Rolling Stones. :D

So do I, E4 plays music in the morning and it is all Hip Hop and mainstream shite, It's awful, have people ever heard of ... a guitar, drums..... no? God Rap, hip hop its as boring as hell, anyway enough complaining, but seriously I'm glad people like what their into, but I wish they wouldn't play that crap full volume at the back of the bus every morning. It drives me crazy.

Here is my lengthy post about what I think of current day music.

I don't listen to hip hop or rap music, and dislike it very much. I used to be really into it (mainly Lil John (sounds like a potty XD ) and Outkast), but I realized that these guys were singing about the wrong stuff. They were talking about pimping and hoes and sex. I realized that these rappers could probably never get a woman, and if they could, she would, without a doubt, not be decent. I also wondered "Why aren't these rappers singing about how many STDs they have?", I'm sure they could make a whole album just on that. I am not trying to bring down rap or hip hop, or create a stereotype, but that is the way the majority of rappers are. Another point I would like to make, I applaud all the rappers that are singing about positive things, I know there are some out there. The rappers who don't sing about drugs, sex, and gangs. If I listened to rap right now, I would listen to that music.

On to 'mainstream' music, and what I will be discussing will be 'mainstream' rock/metal. First and foremost, no rock band is 100% mainstream. Each has uniqueness, no matter how little or big it is. I am a big fan of the band Disturbed, and have been told many times that Disturbed isn't metal, and it is too much mainstream. I strongly disagree with them, saying that most bands don't have the same sound (the Disturbed song Sons of Plunder sums up music how it is right now very well), and most bands wouldn't travel to Kuwait and play for thousands of troops, instead of earning more from doing a normal tour.

I hate the way that music is going right now. The Jonas Brothers are a freaking joke, same thing with Hannah Montana. I just wanted to barf when I saw the Grammys, Jonas Brothers playing with Stevie Wonder? Was that a joke? Stevie Wonder is one of the greats of music, and the crap that the Jonas Brothers put on doesn't compare. To tell you the truth, the Grammys overall is a big joke. It is just another way for a band to get an award. There are tons of bands that are better then Grammy winning bands, that haven't even been on the radar yet. Many that I think of are international bands. A band that isn't from the US will probably have to work 10 times as hard to get a good deal as the ones in the US. Surf progarchives.com, there are tons of bands on there that haven't gotten the recognition they deserve, mainly because they aren't from the US. Many of these bands have broken up, which is terrible, because they make such great music, and eventually could have gotten a record deal.

Done wit my rant, will probably be set for the next year with MyCENTs from this post.

What are you guys talking about? Mainstream music couldn't be any better than what we have nowadays! Think of the awesome pop, rap, and "hip-hop" hits that we have playing on the radio nowadays! Lend an ear to these fine examples!

Jamie Foxx & T-Pain - Blame It
Akon - Sorry, Blame It On Me
Asian Pride - Got Rice, B*tch?

Seriously, I don't even see how these made it to publication and to the masses. The only gratification that I can get out of these songs is laughing at and making fun of how horrible they are... but then the solemn realization that people actually like this crap settles in.

This is coming from someone who listens to absolute garbage for music at times... like Killswitch Engage and Dry Kill Logic's scream-o, heavy stuff, so when I say something's horrible, it's pretty darn horrible for me to compare it to scream-o and then prefer the scream-o. :D

I also enjoy pop, rock, and alternative... but a lot of the "poppy" songs out there are also just as terrible.

And people love this stuff. :D

Great post, with one exception. Killswitch Engage is awesome. Their stuff is heavy, but still great.

Oh I know. Never mentioned that they were crappy... I had my Killswitch Engaged kick for a while. You have to admit though that it really is just heavy scream-o... scream-o that I enjoy as opposed to soiling my ears with the garbage they call music nowadays on the radio.

And for those of you who don't know anything about Killswitch Engaged should listen to a song of theirs, then compare it to one of the magnificent titles I listed in my previous post. The comparison between the two by my liking of KSE and my disliking of anything like what I mentioned above is kind of humorous, if you think about it. :D

Also, those of you who are ready to attack me for not knowing what music is should take a listen to work by Harry Gregson Williams, listen to Colbie Callait and A Fine Frenzy, listen to Frank Klepacki's latest work with Red Alert 3, pay attention to the guitar work with Avenged Sevenfold, then get back to me about music. (Yes, my music tastes vary from Godsmack to Dido to Static-X to classical compositions.) :D

I listen to some of that stuff too on occasion! I am working on preforming a Mozart piece right now. Bach also has some great stuff. And I'm not talking about Sebastian Bach :DI also like "Oldies", which for me includes Chuck Berry, The Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin. May not be your definition of oldies, but keep in mind, I'm a younger generation.

I really dislike mainstream music. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, and one that requires much Listerine wash away :D.I really have no interest in mainstream music at all. Why? It is all the same, and it causes ignorance. Unfortunately, you have "artists" (if you can even call them that, take a look at someone like Brittany Spears. Her musical prowess consists of a guy in a studio creating a backing track and her producer writing her lyrics, which she then sings quite horribly) who really are not that talented, and yet their music is getting major exposure. As if that isn't bad enough, its pumped out to kids who don't really know anything about music - they only know what is popular. Want to know the reason why countless people think death metal is screamo music? They are only exposed to what is popular and tossed around the mainstream media - leading to ignorance.There is some amazing underground metal (no, Lamb of God, etc. is NOT underground, sorry), world, folk (thinking european - finland, norway, etc.), experimental, electronic, etc. music that the vast majority of people have heard of let alone even imagined. There are countless genres of music that people do not even know exist or have a clue what they sound like simply because they are pumped full of mainstream music.I really wish that this wasn't the case. It would be awesome if we could live in a world where people were exposed to a vast number of genres. It would be great if people could here an amazing Folk/World music band like Poropetra, or a great black metal band like Elgibbor. It would be great if people weren't programmed to focus on the mainstream musics, and look outside and find something truly original and interesting. Something created by talented people and truly worthy of the title art.That's my rant :D