xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

Bust Up Pc

Hello everyone. I just got this broke PC and I would like to make it a web server. Can someone give me all instructions. I will buy all software needed.EDIT: I want cPanel on this PC.

Edited by zak92 (see edit history)

Well I don't really know all that much about fixing up PCs or turning them into a server. You will need to purchase Windows Server though or Linux, whichever software you plan to use for it. If you plan on making a web hosting service you will need a web host manager to create your packages and what not. I think that comes with cPanel though. I'd make sure all of your parts are of good uality and high performance in that case as well because people don't like it when their web site goes down for even a few minutes.

This is where you can find the WHM and cPanel http://cpanel.com/products/

Making a broken PC into a working one requires knowledge of what is wrong with the machine. Do you know what piece of hardware isn't working? If so we can advise what to replace it with. Also, a run down of all the hardware in the computer would be handy. As for making it a web server, the method and hardware both depend on whether you are hosting only your own site, or a large number of sites (like Xisto). cPanel and WHM are not viable investments if you are only hosting your own site, but virtually vital (or their free alternatives) for a commercial hosting company.Give us some more information on the computer and your intentions for it, and we can provide some more accurate information.

Making a broken PC into a working one requires knowledge of what is wrong with the machine. Do you know what piece of hardware isn't working? If so we can advise what to replace it with. Also, a run down of all the hardware in the computer would be handy. As for making it a web server, the method and hardware both depend on whether you are hosting only your own site, or a large number of sites (like Xisto). cPanel and WHM are not viable investments if you are only hosting your own site, but virtually vital (or their free alternatives) for a commercial hosting company.
Give us some more information on the computer and your intentions for it, and we can provide some more accurate information.

yea man i agree. why buy, I believe, a 1000$ cPanel license when ur just running your site on ur own computer. I have nothing against cPanel though. the best control panel designed !

Just for sanity sakes, you would need to take the hardware out and replace it with server hardware; which would include at least a server motherboard, quad core server processor, 8 GB of Server ram, 300 Gb hard drive, hardware and software firewalls, insane security measures. Either way you might as well spend the money I am talking about onto a an actual server instead of building one from scratch.

Server Motherboard
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Server Processor

Server RAM

As you can see just from these 3 items your making a very large investment and if plan to do that for one site, then you might as well get a hosting plan and save yourself the money, one your not going to make the money to pay for all that hardware, two you need a back up system that will cost just as much or even more. So your best bet would be to fix up the computer and sell it off.