xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Disc Space, Bandwidth, Question

I hate having to admit to being a total dummy, but I got an email today that said I have use 83% of my bandwidth, and in checking my site manager section I have Disk usage 6.29 / 20.00 MB Can someone explain to me in laymens terms what this means and what can/should I do about it? I still need to add some things to my web site.

If you log into your cpanel and look at the menu on the left side it looks something like this

Subdomains 0 / 99Parked Domains 0 / 9
Addon Domains 0 / 9
Mysql databases 5 / 99
PostgreSQL Databases 0 / 99
Disk usage 30.80 / 500.00 MB
MySQL Disk usage 2.71 MB
Disk space available 469.20 MB
Bandwidth (this month) 5.38 / 10240 MB
Email accounts: 0 / 99
Email forwarders: 0 / unlimited
Autoresponders: 0 / unlimited
Email filters 0 / unlimited
Mailing lists: 0 / 99
FTP accounts 1 / 99

Disk usage is about how much of you 20mb hosting plan you have used, as for bandwidth that tells you how much data has been transfered through your site, including downloads, uploads, images and all that good stuff (look at bandwidth usage). Now to use less bandwidth use image hosting and file hosting sites to help cut down on the bandwidth and space usage. Also if you want to after making all your files you can compress them and thus removing whitespace from with in the file, with that it will make the downloads fast and use less bandwidth as well.

If you log into your cpanel and look at the menu on the left side it looks something like thisDisk usage is about how much of you 20mb hosting plan you have used, as for bandwidth that tells you how much data has been transfered through your site, including downloads, uploads, images and all that good stuff (look at bandwidth usage). Now to use less bandwidth use image hosting and file hosting sites to help cut down on the bandwidth and space usage. Also if you want to after making all your files you can compress them and thus removing whitespace from with in the file, with that it will make the downloads fast and use less bandwidth as well.

Ok, I am still a bit foggy here. Have I used up so much bandwidth because I am still putting my site back together? Uploading pictures, etc? It sure hasn't been from traffic to my site, and since there is nothing on the site to download, it can't be that either. It's just pictures and information about available pups, and of course, my contact info.

I have a vague idea about hosting pictures on other sites, but doesn't that just save on disk space and not bandwidth? As far as compressing files, I haven't a clue as to how that works. I think that is too far over my head.

When you FTP files (pictures etc) to your site, you are using your monthly allowed bandwidth limit. If a picture is 100kb, you have just used 100kb. And you visit your site to see if the picture shows up, you again used 100kb to see that picture.The best way to free yourself with such small limit is to apply for hosting upgrade. I say this because I assume you have Hosting Plan 1?

Ok thanks. I definatly have been visiting my own site a lot, as things don't always look right in FP, and I have to check my links, etc.

I believe I have the hosting plan one. I remember seeing there was an upgrade when I first signed up, not sure where I saw it now. I was concerned that I might not be able to keep up enough posts to keep it paid up. As you may guess, I don't know enough about computers to join in any helpful discussion there! About all I do know is dogs and general farming stuff.

I have been doing some reading on the forums and studying on this bandwidth thing. I found a few statements in other posts that have me wondering why I ran out of bandwith so quickly.....
What am I missing here?

From OpaQue

Sincerly, I get about 5000 page views and THOSANDS of hits per day and I havent used more than 100 mb per day! That again comes to 3 GB.
The following are Xisto.com statistics as on 1st August
Day : 01 Aug 2004
Number of visits : 518
Pages : 13575
Hits : 86950
Bandwidth : 255.47 MB
So Roughly, for 1 GB BW you can serve about 3,47,500 HITS and 54,500 Page Views!

The bandwidth supported already should be more than enough for your hosting needs. I dont think someone here has ever exceeded their bandwidth limit. And if they have, then chances are they were doing something they werent supposed to.

My site has loads of images on it and I never get anywhere near my bandwidth limit

Sorry, I didn't get the names of the second 2 posters I quoted from. I know I'm not getting anywhere near that much traffic, even with all the editing I've been doing.

I did also apply to upgrade my hosting package. When I finished upgrading (hasn't been approved yet,) I see that I have -13707.60 Yes, I looked twice, there is a minus sign in front of my credits. Now I may be a motor mouth but I don't think I can ever make up that many credits!

And and all advice appreciated.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Learn to use proper QUOTE tag and do not double post. That's why we have EDIT feature enabled.

For limiting and controling your Bandwidth with respect to images, consider hosting them at an Image Hosting Service such as Imagefilez and link to them there. It saves having the images handled from your account and therefore will reduce your Bandwidth Usage.If you Host the Images, reduce the file size and Optimize them for the Web. Jpeg images can be re-sampled to around 80% without damage occuring for most Web sites. Unless you are into Graphics or fine Art, this is usually not a problem. A good, free Image manipulation Software is search:Irfanview.