xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rct3

Freewebs Review ~ 2/5 Stars ~

I'll try to put this in the simplist way possible!

DOMAIN :D

The domain is absolutely terrible! http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ this is rubbish! You need to register a domain.

WEB BUILDER :P

The web builder is easy to use but does have limited functionality. Sure you can create a form in a pretty easy way but it takes a while and dosen't have any preset fields like countries! You have to type in over 200 countries to make a simple contact form or something! I would say for a little personal website very easy to use!

ADVERTISEMENT :P

They display a huge toolbar acroos the top of the page and on the footer it says get your own website like this!

FINAL DECISION

It does have an easy to use website builder but it has limited functionality. It has undiscreet adverts which does let it down. The domain is terrible which can also let it down. All in all I'd say that for a personal website for just your mates 6/10 and for someone that wants to create something a bit bigger 2/10!

Please post any comments or criticism!

Certainly freewebs is poor. It doesn't even let you use perl or custom made scripts, nor FTP access so you have to dawdle with the file manager for many times longer than you'd really want to do so. MySQL access is nonexistant and I don't even think you can use SSI. It's simply poor for someone who wants to make a serious site.

Dude you are CRUEL. (To Freewebs, I mean. I'm sure you're really a nice guy) Freewebs has so many templates and gives you background music, images and animations. Its insanely easy to use and you can put in forums, blogs, forms, chat rooms, albums, postings, ratings and comments, ratings, and so much more. The domain is fine! It's like any other. And you change it anyway to a .com, .net or .org website anyway! You can create your own templates with CSS and you can do HTML with the Raw HTML Paragraph Editor. They also got rid of the toolbar at the top of the page, making the site really real and serious. They now offer about one hundred AWESOME customizable free widgets that are extremely easy to put into your site. Yet it does require hard work. Freewebs offers tons of smileys, fonts and font colors as well. I think Freewebs is fantastic.

Fine, free webs is very nice for the average noob, or someone who doesnt know how to bold font in HTML. It will create a template for you in which you can type the text you want. however it is very limited. Unless you are creating a website that tells everyone about you, with pictures of your friends/family/dog, and your favorite song as an annoying background... freewebs is virtually useless. I would give it a 0/10 for a webdesign and a 6/10 for a general computer user determined to make a free website for themselfs, but too stupid to use myspace or facebook as a profile instead. As for the blog/forum/chat...blog.. no one is going to read it. Let alone rate or comment on it. Maybe your sister, or co-worker or best friend,forum... you will have three people signed up. You, your second account to make sure its working, and your third account to make sure its still working.chat... you will be alone talking to urself, except for the odd five minutes you convince someone on msn or aim to chat with you which they are already doing on msn or aim.Now, this post isnt supposed to be offensive to seez, im only helping defend scientific facts.

Guys please, I'm hurt. :D

Freewebs was basically my webmastership birthplace. I'd tried a few places which were even worse; bravenet, myspace (I know, not website at all). I finally stumbled upon the site when my friend gave me his site address (Along the lines of Asian_Gangsa, seriously) I thought it was fantastic, even with it's limited content. After starting my own site I slowly grew. First I used the public themes for a site where I uploaded flash animations from my friends and I, before moving onto coded my own HTML. At first it was simple because I used the freewebs generator, but in the end it was by hand. The site's still there if you can bare the horrible layout. Be aware I made it at the age of 11:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I know Freewebs isn't good for genuine webmasters looking for Php, but I think it gives a decent amount of space (100mb) and has enough freedom to allow people space to grow. I would rate 7/10 purely out of nostalgia, but I agree with the domain thing.

Haha, good 'ol Freewebs. I started with them and a service called Bravenet. At first I thought Freewebs was a very decent service, because I did not use scripts or any extraordinary content on my site. However, when I wanted to put simple login scripts, and more and discovered you need PHP support and what not I had to drop FreeWebs. Since that time I have, over and over again, discovered how bad off FreeWebs was compared to better hosting like what you get here at Xisto.

Freewebs is like 0 out of ten for me because its like the lamest site ever, they now want you too add a big picture ad on your site saying freewes and the space and bW is so low and I don't suggest it a lot.

Don't even get me started about freewebs or freeservers. they SUCK! period. I had a site there aswell and what a pain in the *bottom* it was. If you like stress, its a great place to go, otherwise, stay away from freeservers and all of their affiliates/partners/sister-sites there are at least 20 of them.

Edited by Archangel_Baw (see edit history)

Freewebs was actually how I got INTO Web making etc. I guess I wasn't more than 12-13 then, but it was how it nosed my interest of creating pages, and slowly every day I got better.

Now I would say this is CRAP - Sorry freewebs, but some of us goes up to a whole other level (PHP / Scripts, FTP, Domains!?).

Still - For my good old times :XD:

6.5/10 < Good for new people - Like we ALL once were! >