xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hippiman

Wiimote For Your Computer wiiMote is actually blueTooth

If you haven't heard already, if you have a blueTooth adapter and a Wii Remote(wiiMote), then you can use the wiiMote with your computer. There's a lot of software that people have made for it:

First of all, glovePIE is the best thing I've found so far. It lets you emulate other controllers, the keyboard, or even midi sounds and stuff. All you have to do is open a script(or make your own(there's even a GUI to help make them)) and it starts emulating. There's a script to control the mouse, there's one to play virtual drums, there are a lot of them to emulate stuff for n64 games(if you have your own emulator, it just does the controller), and there are a lot more. There's a video somewhere on youTube that shows someone playing with a Zelda Ocarina of Time with a wiiMote on their computer. I've written my own to play games from vNes.com:

// rotate and stuff for arrows, A and B are A and B// + is start, - is Select // Show wiimote forces //debug = "X="+Wiimote.RawForceX+' Y='+Wiimote.RawForceY+' Z='+Wiimote.RawForceZ //debug = Key.Right + " " + Key.Left var.Batt = wiimote.Battery / 48//it sends an instruction that tells the Wiimote to actually//send the report.Wiimote.Report15 = 0x80 | Int(wiimote.Rumble)end if//Display the battery level of your wiimote using the four LEDs on the bottom.//Battery level is displayed in four levels increasing to the right, like a cell//phone battery gauge. As the battery gets close to the next level down, the LED//for the current level will blink.//Blink ratevar.Blink = 500msdebug = "Battery level: " + 100*48*var.Batt/192 + "%"if 0<=var.Batt<=0.25 thenWiimote.Leds = 1wait var.BlinkWiimote.Leds = 0wait var.Blinkelseif 0.25 < var.Batt<=1 thenWiimote.Leds = 1elseif 1 < var.Batt<=1.25 thenWiimote.Leds = 3wait var.BlinkWiimote.Leds = 1wait var.Blinkelseif 1.25 < var.Batt<=2 thenWiimote.Leds = 3elseif 2 < var.Batt<=2.25 thenWiimote.Leds = 7wait var.BlinkWiimote.Leds = 3wait var.Blinkelseif 2.25 < var.Batt<=3 thenWiimote.Leds = 7elseif 3 < var.Batt<=3.25 thenWiimote.Leds = 15wait var.BlinkWiimote.Leds = 7wait var.Blinkelseif 3.25 < var.Batt<=4 thenWiimote.Leds = 15elseWiimote.Leds = 0endif // set these to the offsets when the wiimote is at rest // will be different for each wiimote most likely var.x = Wiimote.RawForceX +12 //trim to 0 //var.y = Wiimote.RawForceY -37 // trim to 0 var.z = Wiimote.RawForceZ +12 //trim to 0 Key.Left=var.x > 12 Key.Right=var.x < -3 Key.Up=var.z > 5 Key.Down=var.z < -5 Key.Z = WiiMote.B Key.X = WiiMote.A Key.Enter= WiiMote.Plus Key.Shift= WiiMote.Minus

It shows you the battery power and the arrows are when you rotate it and A and B are the wiiMote's A and B. All you should have to do is copy and paste it into glovePIE. I used some of the code from the script that lets you control the mouse with the controller, and the battery thing is all from a file that comes with glovePIE, but it works.

Also, there's a cool thing out called [url="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. />It's a little program that sends all of the info from the wiiMote to flash, so you can make Flash games for it. They have a bunch of demos on their home page, and it's really fast. Their page is kind of slow sometimes, but what they have is worth the wait. I posted in another section a while ago about the wiiFlash API, because I didn't know how to use it, but I found out that I just needed something with actionScript 3.0, so I got Flash CS3.

I was hoping the wiiFlash thing would work with the console, but I guess it doesn't really matter now, because I bought a blueToot adapter.

Well, if anyone has a wiiMote and blueTooth, then try it out! It's pretty sweet. Also, if you don't want to mess with your sensor bar, you can use 2 candles instead of it, or anything else that gives off infrared.

I'd appreciate feedback and I'll answer any questions if I can figure them out.
:D:P

I actually saw this a couple moths ago. I was really looking into the wiiflash, but my computer doesn't have bluetooth. Instead I found that you can use javascript with the wii (go to the wii.nintendo.com faq). I havn't quite gotten into programming for it yet, i'm mainly waiting for wiiware to come out, but i can do the javascript thing when i get more time.

Actually, one of my research partners has linked his Wiimote to his computer using bluetooth and has it simulate drums. He links 3 different remotes, one for each hand and 1 for his foot, and you use a typical drum motion and it will register and play the appropriate sound. Also, he has wriitten code to use the Wiimote as a mouse on your computer but you have to have the LED strip or else you dont get any positioning information from it.

Thats pretty cool, I remember watching a video on how to play world of warcraft with your wiimote and it was pretty awesome :D Can you believe how far technology has come today? Allowing wiimotes on your comp is pretty awesome. -Wonders if i could play gw with it even though i'm a wow fanatic-