xisto Community
unys

Working With Autistic Children Developmentally Delayed Children

I have worked in the field of Special Education for twelve years. During the past five years, I have seen a rise in the number of students entering into the public schools with the diagnosis of Autism. Autism is a part of a spectrum of special education. Children can be very mild to the very severe. Autistic children should not be feared. The key in helping a child with Autism is early intervertion and a strong support system for the family. Public Schools across the country are now offering developmentally delayed preschools. Children who show signs of delays in speech, fine motor activites and social emotional difficulties can be tested in placed in a special education class starting at the age of two. Early intervention can help with social interaction. Autistic children have a hard time with their peers and need to learn how to greet, start conversations, and learn about appropriate behaviors. The research I have read suggust that Autism is genetic. Autistic children can grow up to be productive members of society.

I have done this kind of job myself for several years, and I loved it.It can be so rewarding when they achieve things, both for them and for you.I used to teach them music, but I had a very mixed group, I had people with Down Syndrome in my group, people who were slightly mentally retarded and autistic to very severely autistic pupils.By the way, they were all adults.The fact that they were a mix of different people, all with their own conditions, did not make my job any easier, and also, there are quite a few different forms of autism, all leading to their own typical disturbances.One thing I did get, though, something which these days you rarely get in mainstream schools (where I worked too) is a great deal of respect from your students.I had to be very patient at times, and sometimes I felt like screaming, but, as I said earlier, when they managed to do new things, it felt so rewarding.The other thing was that those people would have done anything for me, even when they were in other classes, they kept asking for me, or at the beginning of a new term or year, the first thing they asked was if they were having music with me again.Me and them both were devastated when I left the job, which I only did because the college I worked in was really awful and useless, and if it hadn't been for those students I would not have stuck it out as long as I did.Even now, when i see a former colleague, I get to hear they still keep mentioning their music classes and still ask for me.I have invested a great deal of time and energy in those people, but at least I can look back on it and say it was well worth it.

My son has autism and is receiving school services geared to teach children with autism. How ever he is being denied OT through the school, but receives speech services. Now that I finally have an official diagnosis for him, and since private OT and private speech are suggested........can the school be expected to provide OT as well and why or why not?

I'm in WA state so I am na sure how it works where you are at Grace. However once your child has a diagnosis of their condition ( I hate that word!) then you can talk with the school and teachers for an I.E.P. ( Individual Educational Program) which will allow you and the school to tailor make and adjust your son's educational program to his level and needs. This can also include any OT he needs.My daughter is also autistic ( medium range, non-verbal) and she recieves both OT and Speech through the school.I hope this helped some.

Would it be beneficial to speak with a parent advocate group such as PACER? Would they be better able to answer my questions as to what I can expect from the schools as far as providing OT now that my son is officially diagnosed?Would PACER also be able to help in getting my son's teacher to document his behaviors while he is at school. He's obviously having some behaviors in school, but at his IEP meetings his teacher says that he's not having behaviors. So if these behaviors don't exist, then why are we (my mom and I) getting emails and calls about things that are directly related to his behavior at school? If these behaviors are serious enough to call or email about, then why are they serious enough to document and place in his file at school? Am I missing something here? Even my son's case worker through the county has said that these are very good questions.

I can't give you an answer about advocacy groups, but chances are if your son's teacher doesn't want to cooperate by documenting his behavior no rule can make him. However you should have the right to request and get a meeting of the IEP team, which includes a representative of the principal, to discuss your concerns. Take copies of those emails and any other statements that people who have had a problem with your son are willing to write for you to that meeting to present as proof of a gap between their documentation and reality. But remember that your focus, your purpose must always be, and always appear to be, getting your son the help he needs. If you go into this with an appearance of petty revenge or wanting things done your way you'll get little traction or sympathy. Keep the focus on your son and be willing to be flexible about how his needs are met and you're more likely to see the resistance you've been experiencing evaporate.

All I want is for the things that warrant a call or email to be documented so that I too can be treated fairly. I don't consider it to be fair when I'm told that these behaviors exist at school, but then at the IEP, his teacher says something that is completely different. In some cases, I feel that it plays a role in why it's so difficult for me to get the needed services for my son. I'm tired of the deception that his teacher has caused........it's not the truth. This is fair how? I simply requested that documentation of all things that are important enough to call or email about be documented and placed in his file at school. I really don't think this is too much to ask and I do expect it to happen. Can this request be added to my son's IEP and why or why not? My son's county case worker knows about our situation and she says that when I ask why these behaviors are not being documented when it is important enough to call or email about.

Have you tried printing the emails out and documenting the phone calls and then taking it to the principal? I haven't had these types of problems with my daughter's teachers but I have had my own run ins ( one included some moron calling CPS on me because of my daughter's autistic behaviour.....wth!!!).One would think that the teachers would be the first to help out in the children's education.Since you feel that he OT is needed in his IEP another thing you can also do is get a doctor's note on it too. If they are still unwilling to add it in you could take that to the principal too.I wish I had more information to offer.If you would like I can ask my cousin what more you could do in your son's situation as her son is Autistic/ADHD/OCD and she has had to barrel through his schools many a time to get what is needed for him.*hugs*I know how frustrating it can be when you work with people who won't listen to you about your child's needs.

My aunty used to work with children wiuth disabilities. I don't think I ever could, I'm not against disabled people but it would just be so sad being around them all the time. Having said that, most of them hate for you to feel sorry for them.Autistic children are normally really gifted in one area, but lack knowledge in others. the most common case is being very gifted in maths. I know an autistic person who could tell you any sum in a batter of seconds, just ask him 546 X 812 and he could do it like that *clicks fingers*It must be hard to work with people like that, but I admire the people who do, especially those who do it as volountary work.

It's not necessarily true that autistic children are really gifted in one area, but lack knowledge in others.It's a filtering issue actually. Some never show a super knack for any one thing at all. One thing I hated when my daughter was younger ( and the closest anyone had to autistic education was the movie "Rain Man") was when people would ask what her special talent was.Special talent? Does brute ogre strength because her pain receptors are twacked out count? At age three she tore the door off our microwave. Does that count? No. It does not. Does the ability to eat deoderant with zest because she is looking for a taste ( oral associated) stimulus count? I highly doubt it. LOL!I'm not saying that there are not some exceptionally gifted autistic people out there. I'm just trying to burn that myth that while some may interact well with others and some may drool on themselves ( SEVERE cases here people) not all of them have some special talent that raises their bar to idiot savant.If you get rid of the label itself and get past some of the behaviours what you have beneath that is a person with feelings, hopes and dreams. Not a super talent waiting to be discovered.

I truly sympathize, Grace. My son has been lucky to have some really good teachers helping him learn in spite of his autism. By all means bring in as many autism knowledgeble people to help you and your son as you feel you need. Just be aware that for all you do you may not get things straightened out right now, or even in time to help your son this school year (and if there's serious resistance, next year). But if you keep prodding at this problem and maintain your documentation you may get some attitudes adjusted in time for another kid and parent about to go through the same system. And when he changes schools, as he will eventually, you'll have a true record of his problems for his next teacher.

i am looking to get into a career working with autistic, down syndrome children.

would anyone be able to help me make the right choices in terms of courses and things to be able to provide the highest quality to the children?

replies will be appreciated

:D Working with Disabled Children to me is very Rewarding in Life ,To assist helping Children gain goals in There life ,That they struggle so hard each day to accomplish or Fit in society?s eye of How one should be or live or much less act .Autism children ,like aspersers is some what a hidden Disabilities that sometimes does not get taken ,strongly when others view them with challenges ,they feel ,should be easy and rewarding for that child to perform in there own self .Sometimes they just get pushed so far in themselves with expectations they seem to over react and snap that makes these children seem cruel or out control then with out understanding they act out in aggression that makes things worst at times .Working with children that have Disabilities of any kind ,should not be a push and shove completion or applying pressure to change that child to fit into a world that is even hard for typical children of any age .I have trained many years with M pact and Protection Advocacy for disabled ,in helping parents become there own Advocacy for there own child in knowing and understanding how to be there for there own child in creating I.E.P. that is designed or that one child and not the whole school or law book of labels that seems to place children with disabilities as such .Also to help support Children to attend there own I.E.P. meeting and have a voice in speaking out at there own meeting ,in areas that they really are having difficulties in every day school and social .Only one that can really offer direction in areas that child needs in support or Receiving public education is That child ,People should really take the time out to really listen to children when they speak out .Not just offer that child a label to receive state funding and brush hat child off into special education and that is where ,that child stays and offer limited education that does not even motivate that child?s mind or ambitions in life .I do believe that when a child gets to certain age ,part of there Education ,instead of books and certain areas that the Transitional changes should become a bigger part of that child?s I.EP. In areas that helps that child prepare in life ,once that child leaves school environment ,weather it was in public transportation ,social cues in Living in world on there own ,use of phone books ,use of emergency ,or offering some form of goals in training areas for that child?s interest in working or training ,depending on child?s disabilities .To me it is rewarding Helping Children with disabilities and Offering support towards parents in most honest manner ,to receive that sparkle in that child?s eyes and that smile to me is very well rewarding in Life .No child should ever be left behind in this world ,there should always be open doors in all directions ,no matter if disabled or not .It warms my heart in such a way that ,is magical to me and rewarding .The love you receive is very strong .Special note : :D being around a child who is autism ,is a special warm Love that is cherished .The care ,and supportive that comes so natural ,from these children ,they hold such huge hearts Although can be trying and challenging from day to day ,Sometimes it?s like a big teddy bear that just want to cuddle and you are limited as they do not like to be touched or cuddle or offer eye contact ,or show difficulties in offering communication ,You struggle to understand ,being around a child ,like this ,because you find a need to just hug that child ,extremely ,You have to search out other ways to offer that affection that is pleasing to them .It is a Love that is strong tht always stays in that child ,they strive to understand .Strive just be Loved no matter what occurs in Life .Sometimes they hurt you ,with there actions ,as they grow older at times .Seem so distance ,as life goes on ,it is not that child that loses understanding ,it is the adults that struggle to understand and hold expectations for that child that is far and above there means and challenges in Who they are .It is a love that ,once really see that love ,it is not a hurt or rejection you are receiving ,it is a stronger Love they offer all ,only if accepted them as they are .A gift to Live and be themselves .They strive on Love and not on that famous Hurt that life can offer each day .We can all learn so much from that child ,sometimes ,they can be the teacher instead adults always trying to teach and guide .We all think we understand children with disabilities ,sometimes we do ,and sometimes we just never take time to ask that child , About themselves .Given a chance ,Children Love others Unconditionally .~The Right Way ~ With nothing or expectations to be Returned It is just Pure Love ~ :)