xisto Community
habbovalley

Php Or Html? which do you use?

Well being a HTML its easy for me but what do people use the most?Is it HTML or PHP.It depends really on which you learnt first.So im gonna have a poll.Post HTML for Html and PHP for php and we will see which is more popular.

I use PHP because I can manipulate web pages more with PHP than HTML, like including another webpage to the current page with the command include. You can do the same with HTML but have to use bulky <object> command with register keys that's hard to remember. And coming from C++ background, I was able to understand PHP faster compare to HTML commands--especially love the FOR loop and IF, THEN commands.

However, I've been meaning to ask this question: do search engines like HTML page more than PHP page? I made few websites years ago, at the same time, one with PHP and the other one with HTML. Google, it seems, liked HTML pages better than PHP. My backlink search shows HTML cached by Google and none of my PHP cached by Google... Am I dreaming?

So, ultimately do you build with HTML (file ending) or PHP (file ending) which to choose?

Well being a HTML its easy for me but what do people use the most?Is it HTML or PHP.
It depends really on which you learnt first.
So im gonna have a poll.Post HTML for Html and PHP for php and we will see which is more popular.

That's a very unfair comparision.

HTML is a markup language. It was made to display text and stuff like that in a fancy way. PHP was made as a scripting language to do things like access files, solve mathematical problems, and do repetitive tasks easily. If you're referring to the use of PHP on the web, well, you're going to need to use HTML with PHP anyways if you want to do anything worthwhile. HTML by its own isn't very convienient to update.

Tetraca,

Thanks for the pointer. I guess since I use mainly to "calculate" my pages depending on the result, such as random file displaying or visitor's status value (whatever it may be) I just started to use PHP and spit out HTML command using the ECHO. This made me forget your point--PHP is really a scripting language where PHP still depends on HTML markups to render web pages.

I did find an answer to my question above...PHP or HTML and does it matter to SEO.

I will say though, that theirs no seo reasoning behind changing from php to html, I don't know why people worry with that. Mod_rewrite is only worth it to get url's without multiple variables.

Source
At the worse case, I can always rewrite .php to show .html by .htaccess rewrite.

It depends on what web page its for. Like if you're doing a web page for some login page then use php, but just a normal page like some introduction about your self with no advanced features i.e. guestbook. Then use html. To me html is easier, but php gives you more functionality. Also if you don't want people looking at your webpage's code use php, only advanced users that know how to create web browsers can know your 'code'

Well as said for almost any website you need HTML, unless its one of those fancy pure css sites. So to be fair virtually 1OO% of websites use HTML so in that sense HTML is more popular, now if the question is about which language i prefer coding in i would say php because i like solving problems more than displaying info.but in a comparison of sites with html and those using php HTML would win in terms of numbers of websites using it because you dont need t use php to make a website.

I use HTML and CSS at the moment because I don't know PHP yet. I would like to learn it soon so it can update stats atuomatically so I don't have to. Example, I plan to make a fanlisting soon and PHP is great with updating member stats right away. There's lots of other reasons. I'll still use HTML though.

while php is more flexible but it is more confusing than html and it requires a big download to code from my desktop so i prefer to use html. if i realy need php i normaly just download the scripts like wordpress or watever

I don't think such a question could actually be asked... It's as if you are comparing to objects of different nature... HTML is a markup language which is the basic knowledge in web-designing; it is indispensable. While on the other hand, PHP is a server-side scripting language which allows you to execute scripts on your website. Now if you want to keep it simple for you while coding your website, you can use HTML and at the same time, use PHP... each in its right place and for its right cause. I just want to point to something... when you want to compare, you have to choose items of like-nature. To be clearer, you can compare PHP to ASP, HTML to XML... something like that.

I don't think such a question could actually be asked... It's as if you are comparing to objects of different nature... HTML is a markup language which is the basic knowledge in web-designing; it is indispensable. While on the other hand, PHP is a server-side scripting language which allows you to execute scripts on your website. Now if you want to keep it simple for you while coding your website, you can use HTML and at the same time, use PHP... each in its right place and for its right cause. I just want to point to something... when you want to compare, you have to choose items of like-nature. To be clearer, you can compare PHP to ASP, HTML to XML... something like that.

I myself use them both alongside each other but not all the time it depends what I am designing if its a clan/game based feature i will use both but if its a security module etc i will use php and html if needed, but that question is really hand in hand. i think using one or the another is the wrong way to go but everyone is different and they not think like I do.

Well PHP was designed to be implemented with HTML so its fully compatible with search engines and you get more flexibility with the webpage as it has PHP functions in it.

both are real nice. i use a php based system for easy editing because i dont have much time. however i believe that HTML can be really powerful. You can easily design login and design a variety of scripts to make ur site powerful and neat with HTML. Also HTML sites are more stable in my opinion. PHP sites can be hacked easier due to the nature of php scripts

Well being a HTML its easy for me but what do people use the most?Is it HTML or PHP.
It depends really on which you learnt first.
So im gonna have a poll.Post HTML for Html and PHP for php and we will see which is more popular.

Html is just a text markup language, and it's used just for that.

Php is server side scripting language, and is used for server side scripting.

To say that you use HTML over PHP? Hm, that's really not a simple thing to compare. If you just have a bunch of simple text which you want to show on the web, than it's best to go with HTML. But PHP is built for User side comunication, so if you want that your visitors (aka Users) can participate in your site dynamicly you will have to use PHP, or any other server side language (ASP).

Of course, even with your knowledge of PHP you will still need to know HTML couse it's the only language used for displaying websites on http protocol.

Let's say this

<?phpecho "<strong>This text is strong!</strong>";?>

is just a simple php code that echoes HTML text.
Edited by matak (see edit history)

I used Php because it works flawlessly with MySQL (Type of Database). I'm going to assume Html is more popular as that's really what one would start with, but more professional sites are nearly all Php.

Any page on the internet uses html, it is the foundation of any website or server, it does not work without html.php is a great programming language, the best in my opinion, and you can use it on your web pages to spice up your website with dynamic content, scripts, text and images, mainly, it is to complement your website with functions and features that make your life easier as a webdesigner and/or a programmer, to facilitate your clients and visitors of your website, and to save your visitors/clients data in databases like mysql, mssql and txt databases, but there are much more, the most used databases server with php is the mysql server which is open source as you should know.php stands for pre html processor, which says it all, the php code is processed, in the server, before the html code, it is a server side language, it is executed on the server, not on your browser like javascript or html for instance.My advice to you is that you must get a very good ebook of html, another for php, another for tcp/ip architecture protocols, another for web design, another for windows systems (because windows operative systems are all pretty much the same thing concerning the way they work, the way they do things, the way they present you with the graphic interfaces of the object applications and system applications), read hacking ebooks too, they are the best for you to be interested in reading and learning at the same time, i did that, and today i have an enormous ammount of information on informatics that i know.Good luck!

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)