xisto Community
iGuest

Computer Restarts OS Problem or what

When Ever i shutdown my computer it gets restarted. I am not going to understand what is happening. So plz can u help me stop restartng my computer when I shutdown it.?OS: win2000 professional/server/Win98

I would think it's more of a motherboard/hardware and OS/software conflict. Usually these problems can't be solved directly. I would suggest that you upgrade to Windows XP. I think that will solve your problem. Meanwhile, if you don't fancy upgrading, just press the power button when the computer shuts down(before it starts up again).-Shackman

I have the same problem b4...but forgot how it suddenly got better....i think i just reinstall the windows...what i think the problem is the control of the motherboard by the OS...have some kind of system file missing ...or damage...what i would do is...updated the newest service pack...if u did...try norton system doctor....if still there is problem ....maybe u can go to yr motherboard company website...and maybe there are some new drivers...or like what i did ...reinstall OS...hope this help u ...maybe i'm talking rubbish....hope u dun mind

When Ever i shutdown my computer it gets restarted. I am not going to understand what is happening. So plz can u help me stop restartng my computer when I shutdown it.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are many reasons for this type of occurence, it could be hardware problem, viruses or trojan. I suggest to scan your computer for any trojan program if you do have anti-trojan if the problems persists you need to reformat you hardrive.

This thread was reported to me too. ICU102477 gave me an interesting report. I think it's something worth posting here. Credit goes to ICU102477.

Report:
I think you have problem in your operating system, it could be a trojan or any types of viruses. If you can't fix it even you have already use anti-trojan or anti-spywares program I suggest that you re-format your hardrive then reinstall a new operating system..

I like this kind of spirit. I really hope more Xisto members will come forward to take an extra step to give a hand to those in need. Nice work!

-Shackman

there are many reasons for this type of occurence, it could be hardware problem, viruses or trojan.  I suggest to scan your computer for any trojan program if you do have anti-trojan if the problems persists you need to reformat you hardrive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you saying to format the hd if you can't find a trojan?

If you were to format it, make sure you back up (copy to cd's, whatever) all the files you need.

It was reported to me too, I think he ment to click reply and not report...The same thing happened to may ages ago, I had Windows ME then, got 98se now...It was a trojan... had to format my pc and re-install windows, 98se was the only one I could get hold of....

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

I personaly never encountered a trojan/virus that didn't allow my PC to shutdown, but I had this situation:A friends computer also restarted to shutdown, and after hours of messing arround with Windows (98se I think it was), somehow, an idea occured to me. I turned off ACPI in bios, and it worked! I then switched it back on, and it still worked! So, try that before resorting to re-format or something as drastical.

it was reported to me too, but meh

When Ever i shutdown my computer it gets restarted. I am not going to understand what is happening. So plz can u help me stop restartng my computer when I shutdown it.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my moms comp is like that too, its running win 98se, but the prob with hers is it doesnt shut down, and it turns it self on. wierd.. but i know what it is, the comp is like almost 10 yrs old and has never been left on for longer than 2-3 hrs at a time. so all the shutting off, and turning on has cracked some of the chips, so the command doesnt go through properly. that may just be your prob too.

how old is your comp? and how often do you turn your comp on and off?