xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
techclave

Mysql And Sql difference???

I was wondering what is the difference between MySQL and SQL. I was really confused when i planned to do a project recently. This question has haunted me for a long time.Is it both same?

Well its just a few diffs in the way you run queries. also SQL is more like Microsoft SQL or, PortSQl, there are so MANY DIFFRENTS and SQL just means structer query language thats all.

After doing some research on this question you be surprised on the answer; and from what I read SQL is the command structure for the database, while MySQL is the program that runs the SQL command structure. With that giving you a small idea there is a difference between the two types of servers, which of course is MySQL server and SQL server;

Standard Language Support

An important aspect of database development is how to access your data using different standard based protocols. Both MySQL and SQL Server do a good job of supporting all major protocols for accessing their respective databases. A standard protocol is the "programming language" used for a program to communicate to a SQL database. The most common protocol is called tSQL, or Transact SQL. Transact SQL is a series of statements that a program can use to access data and create new tables in a SQL database. The statements can INSERT new records, DELETE old records and UPDATE existing records, along with a myriad of other functions.

The international standard for this programming language is referred to as ANSI SQL. ANSI stands for American National Standards Institute. ANSI is a collective governing body that determines what the standard language will be. For example, ANSI decides such things as the word INSERT will be used in the programming language as apposed to the work ADD to insert a new record into a database.

While both databases do a good job of supporting all major protocols, one of the most frequent complaints about MySQL is that it does not completely follow the ANSI SQL standard. This would not necessarily be any issue if your need for data storage never outgrows the capability of MySQL. However, if you data is constantly growing, there may be an eventual need to upgrade from MySQL to SQL Server to handle the vast amounts of data. In a situation like this, any application that has been written to manipulate a MySQL database will have to be revisited to be sure that the program is able to "communicate" with the new data store.

To give a better idea of the differences in MySQL and SQL Server, MySQL is geared more toward selecting data so is can be displayed, updated and saved again. MySQL is weaker in the areas of inserting and deleting data. MySQL is an excellent choice, for other reasons that we will discuss later on, for data storage and referencing data. MySQL is not the best choice however, for creating, inserting and deleting data from tables on the fly.

For an Internet application, MySQL would be a good choice for tracking clients and creating dynamically populated pages with information from the database. For an application of moderate to large scale that is used for commerce of any kind, SQL Server is by far the better choice with more options and functionality to add, manipulate, update and delete data.

From the looks of this quote it would seem that MySQL server can handle a particular load of data, while SQL can handle a much large load of data, but it seems though MySQL is used for displaying data why SQL is used to store data. That would be the big difference between the two

SOURCES

http://www.gidforums.com/t-554.html

http://www.tometasoftware.com/

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

the SQL is the language and the MySQL is a company making programs for that language...like the php and the phpBB...They are same is the name there is the difference between just the BBbut php is a language and phpBB is a forum using that language and that's all:XD:

Edited by OmArEmAd (see edit history)

I believe there was some minor confusion about this issue...

SQL is Structured Query Language, and is mostly used by database engines, to allow ease of manipulation with the data, in a english-alike language...

MySQL is a database engine, using SQL to allow operation with it, from different programming languages and programs...

Micro$oft SQL Server (often confused with SQL), is also a database engine (in a way like M$ Access), using SQL for the same purpose as MySQL...

PosgreSQL - same story, database engine, and many others...

MySQL has it's own advantages, M$ SQL has it's advantages, only thing required is for a developer, to find which engine suits him and his needs, in the best way... My option is mostly on MySQL, as it is free, whereas M$ SQL costs a lot of money, but offers nothing that I don't have in MySQL already...

"but offers nothing that I don't have in MySQL already..."I like MySQL very much, but there are at least 2 things that MySQL does not have, the first and most important "I believe" is the graphical all-in-one interface with the whole system, MySQL doesn't have it (I know MyADMIN but is not as complete as MSSQL Console). the second is the integration with the rest of the programs, of course Office but also another database like Oracle, you can inter-communicate very easilly. the third one could be the support for replication and clustering is very powerfull basically because the simplicity.MSSQL is a great database as good as MySQL or Oracle, the downside is the name "Microsoft" but I think it works very good.