xisto Community
ankur.maheshwari

Is There Something Called Destiny?

Who or what has a destiny? Normally we say there is a destiny for all living things. I'm not sure on this statement. But the my vision is nothing can predict perfectly. There may be a lot of variations on a event which we consider. According to the Christianity there is no rebirth. But according to the clues I found I can't believe it. Some time it may mean another idea rather than the word meaning of "rebirth". In Buddhism it has a totally different concept as there is no rebirth but have an circular existent of spiritual. If there is a destiny for each and every one they should be stored in the spirits of each(but this is true only in my point of view since I hope that there is no creator other than the natural science). But the problem is if there is an destiny why anybody couldn't tell what will happen next 100% correctly. In another hand there is an ambiguous event I heard and experienced also. That is in Sri lanka there is a fortune telling center quite different from the other fortune tellers. Once a person ask from them to tell his or her past, present and future, they take a hand print and tell a date to come back. And after the person come, they read a document which is actually a palm leaf. The wonder is the teller tells the surname and given name of the person. then the age when of the person when he get to know about his destiny(yes it's current age the person). Then the full names of fathers and mothers, occupation, number of children, about the spouse(name, occupation, deceases having etc.). The past and present details are 100% correct. Normally they say definite things such as names, ages, how the name of the person formed(it's a miracle). When we consider about the future all the definite information such as events in specific age kind of things are 100% correct. But other indefinite information such as occupation, deceases kind of things not correct 100%.These people say that they found these printed palm leaf from India. and they say that these information were written by hindu monks who has special power to see the future. The stuffs were owned by a Maharaja in India. I did lot of researches to solve this ambiguous while standing on religious and nonreligious (theories of modern physics) concepts. Finally I found a solution which satisfy me more than fifty percent.In Buddhism, it says that all the things happened for a reason. It is called as patichchasamuppaadaya (if you are not a south Asian don't try to pronounce it ). The things happen falls to five category as uthu (whether), beeja (birth and related stuffs like seeds), kamma(Known as "karma" the things we done using our mind and through our body but also with mind), damma(the sciences of nature), chiththa(the mutability of mind).The fortune teller I said before is reading about the stuff which falls to the category of kamma only. Therefore their prediction may be wrong according to the other four criteria. For an example it is proved that we cannot do perfect whether forecast ever. So I realized that all have their own destiny and it is changeable on some criteria and a destiny of a living thing creates according to its own activities. If somebody can be without doing any activity which effects to his or her destiny then he or she can end their existence. But I have no idea about a person who has no a destiny.

Well I think destiny doesn't exist. Why? Because for destiny to exist, the knowledge of the future has to exist, and that can not possible be in any archive, in any divine mind or plan as each of our actions are what determine the future. I believe that destiny was an idea that pacifies the soul. To think that there is a future that we can not avoid can often make us feel better in a tense situation. For example, if you were to have made a bad business decision and looked back on what you had done, it would be easier to face your failure by consoling yourself with the idea that your destiny had already been determined. This eases some of the weight of your choice off of your shoulders and onto that of the general plan of the world.Ravimal, as you said, Buddhism says things happen for a reason. People usually look at this sentence, smile and nod, and believe. But I tend to look at the reason behind this statement. Why would someone say things happen for a reason? Simple, to make the general population less stressed. If you were walking home and a bird pooped on your favorite shirt, it's easy to smile and say, "Oh well I'm sure it happened for a reason." But when you think about it, the whole 'reason' ideology was made to make people feel better about life. So that people can live without fearing every incident or mistake, Buddha's ideas preach a greater scheme of life. Ravimal, your example of the Sri Lankan fortune tellers is very hard to believe. This in no way discredits those who you appraise but as an atheist who sees no base in profound seeings of a man. I find it is impossible and only after seeing it or obtaining credited footage can I begin to formulate an opinion on such a thing. One thing about fortune telling is that through ambiguity they often gain the trust of their client. For example if I was a fortune teller and someone offered me cash to tell them the future I'd say something like:"You are nervous on the inside but show a strong exterior. You are not satisfied with what you have but soon, in about a month you will begin to find happiness."If some Tom, *BLEEP* or Harry hears that they would smile and nod, then pay the cash and leave. It's the use of such a general prediction that we often begin to trust in the supernatural. I think destiny is not real and it was made so that we weren't so scared by the weight of every choice that we make. This is probably because I am a very down to earth person who doesn't often waiver into the realms of the occult, or I just haven't seen enough to believe. -Just my opinion. :)

Simply said i do not believe in destiny.It's simple if our greatgreatgreatblaparents did not decide to crawl outside and snuff up the pre-history flowerswe would not be here today.Everything which happends is an aftermath of choices and actions which all began somewhere (some can be old some can be very recent)Per exampleyou could decide to strap on a few bombs walk to your local mall pick up a random female and blow yourself and her up to smithereensnow let me tell you what happenend was not fate or destiny that woman did not have to doYou took your own decisions and decided that today would be a nice day to blow stuff up you made the decision to press the button not a greater powerand the old woman decided that she wanted to go shopping (prolly because she did not have any more veggies for her soup)it wasnt fate that brought the woman there it was timeing and decisions made by for and with people