xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

Server Question Cost

Hello! Buying your own sever is going to cost you 600$ - ENFINITE I found once little server on dell.com for around 600 but it was garbage, and before you decide hey I want to get my own server you must understand a couple of things1.) Secuirty - People may want to try to destroy my server2.) Static IP never changing3.) About a T1 Connection internet speed4.) Who is going to admin it? are you going to provide hosting5.) Where is your datacenter going to be? 6.) What happens if there is a fire?7.) How will you back up your data?8.) Who is going to provide support?These are just the basics of getting your own server. I would recommend just getting a dedicated server and leaving it at that.

To buy a server for you to run in your own home? A few thousand dollars and thats not including the T1-T2 you would have to install in order for websites to load fast (hundreds of dollars). Then of course the security software you have to install, a giant Cooling station to keep the room cool so the server does melt over the extreme heat. So unless you have a ton of money to purcase everything I mention and the person in the previous post as mention you might as well just purchase a server on a monthly plan and go from there.

Hmmmm....

Well you can buy a server from Xisto itself (Xisto - Web Hosting.com) ThisServer is available on the home page right now.

I think it would be better if you got in contact with OpaQue regarding the server as he can provide a server. You can contact him at support@xisto.com.

It would you cost in hundreds though....

Wow, I didn't know that Xisto - Web Hosting offered servers too. I really have to look into more of the features that they offer lol. All in good time I suppose. But that's really good to know for the future, incase big things happen for me or a client.And when my web instructors were talking about servers and the costs and that, they mentioned that it would probably be somewhere in the ballpark of $2000 (Canadian), but I'm not really sure if that's for a good one, or what features (for lack of a better word) there would be regarding something of that cost. I really don't know much about servers.

My servers cost me little over $100 custom built by me. I don't usually buy from companies like dell (although i have in the past) Once you have got one you could co-locate it in what's called a Data Centre. They will handle the looking after of it, provide support, general maintenance and configure it and provide you with about 15 IP addresses to connect it to the net. if you want i can PM you with the provider i use - cannot announce it on the forums as it could be viewed as advertising :)