xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
delivi

Help Needed : Unable To Write Cds

I've a System running Windows XP Pro SP2, with the following configurationP IV 3GHz HT processor, Intel 915GWVB Motherboard, 512MB RAM, Segate Barracuda 160GB 7200rpm SATA HDD, LG DVD WriterMy DVD Writer has suddenly stopped recognizing Blank CD-R's, there is no problem reading CD's and DVD's with some contents on it. It also identifies Blank DVD's and CD RWs and I'm able to burn properly in them. But when I insert a blank CD-R it fails to recognize the disk, I get No Disk error, when I try to open it.I first tried using several Sony CD-Rs but all of them failed to recognize, but when I used another brand CD-R (Plasmon) it recognized after several attempts, it also recognized the Sony CD only out of luck, I was able to write in only 2 CDs out of 15 I bought recently, all were without any scratches. The drive recognizes un-finalized CDs and also allows to write in them. My system is 2 years old, I haven't faced any other problem so far. Even now it fails to detect the various old sessions in multi-session CDs sometimes. What is the cause of this problem. I've also got several CDs failing while burning data into them, recently.Is this an OS problem or problem with the hardware. Please help me.

the same problem occur with me a year ago ... for some days my DVD writer did't recongnize one brand of dvd at all but when i put some more good quality dvd-r then it start recongnizing it .... i think the same problem is with you ... your DVD Writer go old or your dvd quality is bad ...if u think both are okay then one time clean your DVD Writer with cd cleaner it will help you !!Hope u understand what i said to u..

Have your tried cleaning the drive? The lens could just be dirty, if not I would say that that either you have loose cable connection or your drive is going. What I suggest is that you get another dvd or CD drive, then connect it; if it works the its the drive if not it could be a connection problem.

Apparently, upon searching the internet, the most likely thing is the DVD writer: especially if it is a LG 8042b: just se the complaints at http://www.siliconguide.com/qa/question/55/ !

Since Windows can not even see the disk, It would either be harware or Windows itself, and I presume since you have Service Pack 2, that your computer is fairly up to date with patches, it is highly unlikeky to be Windows.

But if you search google for "LG DVD Writer problems", there is quite a long list, hence why I suspect it is the writer.
If you still have the receipt/warranty I recommend you take it back/get a refund/replacement!

thanks for the timely helpI'll just get a step forward and try out alll your suggestions and get back if I still have the problemthanks rize619, SM and dastrophy for your help :)