xisto Community
RedAlert

Don't Ask, Don't Tell - Is It Wrong?

This issue has come up lately in politics. For those of you who do not know, the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy came up a while back as a policy that allows people of all sexual orientations to join the military, yet you cannot reveal whether you are gay. The thing is, nobody asks you. Gays can, at this point, join the military as long as they do not reveal their sexual orientation. Do you think this is right, or wrong?Personally, I think the policy should stay the way it is. First, let me explain that I am not biased against gays at all. The reason why I think the policy should stay is simply because it would disrupt the army at this moment. What would happen? Think about it. Of the people in the army, you know at least some will be uneducated. They'll say things like "Ew, he's bleeding, I'm not touching him! I'll get AIDS!". Something like this is bound to start up in our military. People will protest and want different bunkers, just because some people are asses. Personally, I don't agree with the policy, people should be allowed to join regardless of being gay or straight, but it's the others that I'm worried about, and having a huge ordeal like this is not what we need.What are your views on this subject?

They'll say things like "Ew, he's bleeding, I'm not touching him! I'll get AIDS!". Something like this is bound to start up in our military. People will protest and want different bunkers, just because some people are asses. Personally, I don't agree with the policy, people should be allowed to join regardless of being gay or straight, but it's the others that I'm worried about, and having a huge ordeal like this is not what we need.

I am not really an American, but yes, I guess this policy should stay where it is or the military personnel should be cleared of all the doubts they might have about homosexuality. Though it does sound awkward that homosexuals shouldn't disclose their sexual orientation but then it's only for the better functioning of the army. And that's what makes me say too that it should stay where it is. But educating the people on homosexuality can be another option but I guess just keeping it a secret would do for no unless everyone has cleared out all his doubts about homosexuality.

The homosexuals that join the Army, etc, would have to be the ones that look and act like a heterosexual. For even if you don't ask, and if they don't say, you can still find out. If they can pull it off, then i guess for the reason mentioned, it would be okay—assuming the bathrooms have separators and curtains.

With me being a vet in the military I know a lot about this and there is more to it then asking if your gay or not; It's about the frame of mind that this is Man's Military meaning no women or women like characteristics i.e being gay. With that in mind it's all about hate, harassment; so when it comes down to when the military goes to war, someone with enough hate might pull a friendly fire and say something else. You be surprised how many people have pulled off being gay in the military, some spend there whole career's not letting anyone know, but the problem lies in the fact not every soldier lives outside the military bases and so those who live on the base after be extra careful and not get caught. Of course when the war on terrorism started and escalated such as it has some people claim to be gay so they can get out, some are successful others are not.The military follows a strong code that fuses religion, morals and rules; although being gay is slowly becoming acceptable, the problems are a lot worse in the military especially when someone finds out and you have to explain to your commanding officer why your getting harassed an all that wonderful stuff. Don't ask don't tell was put in placed so the army doesn't have to deal with it until it becomes a problem and when it does it becomes even worse especially the embarrassment on both sides. This policy is more complicated then it looks and its been 2 years since I been out and so I could be missing a few points about why it is what it is.

I'm a vet too."Don't ask, don't tell" means that nobody can ask. Your commanding officer cannot ask about your sexual preferences. Your buddies cannot harass you or go on witch hunts to smoke out the gays in the unit. And you can't talk about being gay or engaging in homosexual conduct.("You," by the way, is used in the general sense throughout this post.)In fact: when you enlist, you sign a statement to the effect of, "I will not engage in homosexual conduct." It's longer than that and worded differently, but that's the basic gist.So: it's perfectly fine to be gay and in the military as far as the military is concerned. Just be discreet and quiet about the whole thing. Yeah, you sign the statement, but if you're discreet, nobody will catch you. And as far as the military is concerned...what you *quietly* do when you're off duty isn't a big problem. (You can't write hot checks or rob liquor stores or anything like that, of course.)Confusing? Of course. The military is basically saying, "Officially, don't do this. Unofficially, do whatever but don't get caught." It's one of those "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" type things. It never bothered me one way or another. I'm sure that I was around gay people when I was enlisted. But oh, well. Nobody tried to grope me in the showers, so we all got along just fine. :)

Whether the policy is "morally" wrong or right is really inconsequential. The fact of the matter is that it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. The US Constitution guarantees equal rights and protection to all persons no matter the race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation. Any other public office would be sued for discrimination, including the police and fire departments. In fact, this policy has been declared unconstitutional by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. However, it really doesn't make a difference because the military is run from the Pentagon and out of the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit. I'm sure they granted it so that the lawsuit wouldn't go on to the Supreme Court, which would declare it unconstitutional and it would have to be enforced everywhere.

Here is how i look at the rule. First off I am totally pro-gay. Next off is I see as this. A gay guy shouldn't be in the army NOT because he is gay, but because they like men. Let me explain further before you start to get mad. Women and Men don't sleep in the same place so they do not get sidetracked on their work. This is the same for Firefighters these days also... I think this is extremely dumb. My dad was a firefighter and he loved sleeping in the big place with all the guys and *BLEEP*ing with them all night. Anyways, im getting off subject. Since straight men are not allowed to be with straight women, gay men should not be allowed to sleep with men and same for gay women. This is only equal. Now if they do not ask or show they are gay why would it matter? That's how i look at it. It they dont know and can't tell why would it matter to anyone? If they go out with there partner when they are off does that effect anyone in the army? No. That's my point.