xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

Americans Really Do Take Things For Granted

My cousin is visiting the US from the Philippines for the first time, so I volunteered to show her around and stuff. The day after she arrived, I planned to take her to a local theme park since she likes roller coasters. We were kind of hungry in the morning, but didn't want a big breakfast, so I suggested that we run to the market and pick up some bagels from the bakery section because they were a little healthier than donuts. Her eyes got so big when we walked in. Unlike some of my other cousins, she's actually pretty well off. She lives in Metro Manila, has a maid and gets paid pretty well as a teacher working for an international school, so she can afford more than most. But she probably could have spent a few hours in the market looking at all the things we take for granted. She was amazed at the pre-packaged sandwiches, the whipped cream that she could only get at a specialty store, and she was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff. When I asked her what kinds of things to bring to the Philippines, she said to bring Tylenol since it's not available, I could only buy tampons at the PX (an American military store), and the peanut butter is very different.I have visited other countries, but just as a tourist. I never had a craving for something from back home since I was so interested in experiencing the food and culture of the country that I was living in. But seeing my country through her eyes made me realize how America is different from many other countries. We are a consumerist culture and we've become accustomed to intant gratification. I complain that polenta isn't available at my local supermarket and I have to drive 20 minutes to Trader Joe's or a specialty Italian market when I could simply use cornmeal instead. We Californians are perhaps the most spoiled of all since so many fruits and vegetables are grown locally, so they're readily available at the store or a farmers market and they taste fresh and ripe. My friend went to school in Pennsylvania and begged her sister to send her avocados since she couldn't find them at her local market. I never really thought of myself as lucky to have all of these things just around the corner from me, and I took it all for granted until last week. Of course, I'll probably go back to taking it for granted, but for now, I'm thankful that I live here and happy to have such a plethora of goods and services from all over the world available to me in an instant.

Although the same can be said for anyone—for whatever it may be—it is true that those who have, after a while of having, will consider it normal and therefore take things for granted. It isn't only till it's taken away that they realize just how important such a thing was to them—but even then, they may still take it for granted but to a smaller extent. And yeah, people tend to revert back to their old ways. But this experience of yours should have sparked more than just what you've realized. For because you have realized what you realized, you should be inclined to help those in need more—not just those you know, but more importantly those you don't know.

Yes, though I've not really been to America, as far as I know from movies, America is really way different than most other countries. Not just this, the way people think, their lifestyles, the way they perceive things. And it's both impressing and depressing to see the difference 'cause it's good and bad both according to me in many different ways elaborating on which would go out of topic.I won't really frame it as taking things for granted, 'cause it's just the way it is. Like for you, you never knew that things weren't the same everywhere and so calling it taking things for granted won't really do justice. I am not much of a consumerist culture fan but other areas where the culture in America is different is quite better off.And I even agree to what truefusion said, it can be said for anything and/or anyone. If you visit countries like China and India, you would notice so much of a difference in even the way people think and perceive things. As far personal opinion and experience is concerned, in India people take too many things for granted. Something which I hate about the people here, I can't really stand it but then there are even better and brighter sides to it. And that's the same with every country. There's something which people take for granted in every country, and there are both sides to a culture in each and every country.

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

I agree that we do take things for granted. I have never been to another country but watching movies like "Invisible Children" about the children in Uganda suffering, you realize how things that may seem so little to us, can make another person's day just by having it once. We are used to having everything a our fingers, and if we don't have it, we can buy it from somewhere else with money. I wonder what it would be like to go without having internet, TV, radio, cars, or even smaller things like peanut butter. I was supposed to go to Mexico this summer but the trip was cancelled. But I can tell just from stories I here and like I mentioned before, movies I've seen that I have it really well off. Of course you don't know what it really is like until you experience it.

Yes, though I've not really been to America, as far as I know from movies, America is really way different

Yea and according to the movies, if I go anywhere in Europe and stop at a gas station, I'm somehow going to get killed, also, every teenager is an anarchist who likes to start riots and burn cars.

See what I'm getting at?

Americans are spoiled.

But I love to be spoiled. Now, let me go enjoy my four course, 3 serving dinner, and give my dog $10 food, cause we're hungry. :)

Yea and according to the movies, if I go anywhere in Europe and stop at a gas station, I'm somehow going to get killed, also, every teenager is an anarchist who likes to start riots and burn cars.

See what I'm getting at?

Americans are spoiled.

But I love to be spoiled. Now, let me go enjoy my four course, 3 serving dinner, and give my dog $10 food, cause we're hungry. :)

When I meant movies, I didn't mean it in the way you think I did. 'cause if I would've done then my impression would be all the high school kids think about 24x7 are labels and that one little thing keeping the human race from extinction, and that I can get beaten up and killed in the most unusual spots possible and no one would probably do anything and that the police are just utterly useless.

Americans are spoiled. I never had this notion, everyone, every country, every culture has good and bad points. Doesn't mean I was pointing at something.

And Anarchy is so not about riots and burnings.