xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Evan Almighty

I saw Evan Almighty last weekend, and I must say it was quite the movie. For those who don't know Evan Almighty is the sequel to Bruce Almighty. Evan was kind of like the "rival" anchor in Bruce Almighty, but in the end bruce gives the anchor position to Evan. Anyway back to Evan Almighty. The special effects were pretty amazing, and the overall movie was quite funny, although there was a person sitting behind me in the theater who couldn't stop laughing, even when it wasn't funny, it got quite annoying actually. The movie still managed to make up for it. I liked it even better than the first one because this one is hilarious. Steve Carell does a great job of playing the leading role and I must admit that Wanda Sykes has quite a few funny lines herself. All together I enjoyed the movie and I think I will probably end up liking it more than Spiderman 3 or pirates of the Caribbean 3, because I'm sure you've all heard the bad comments on both. :lol:

I agree Shun I love Bruce Almighty. But still want to see this movie too. I think it is funny that god would do this to two people :lol: And I saw Pirates 3 and it was pretty good not better then one or two but definetly more funnier!

i acually thought it was going to be a turd of a movie. with your review i will be sure to take time to watch it when it comes out. i do ike the leading actor though. he has done a great job in all of his major roles. like the office.... funny as hell. or anchorman... he wasn't the lead actor but damn he was funny.

Evan almighty looks good, but I don't know if it will be as good as Bruce almighty. I will still go see it though, i'm sure it will still be hilarious.

Awesome :lol: tanks for the good review! I'll be sure to watch this one v. soon =p If it beats Bruce Alm. that would be so damn funny, anchorman and bruce (and shaun of the dead!!!) were top notch comedies, I hope this one is up there on the same level!

yeah, I don't think it's quite as good as bruce almighty. Jim Carrey is a legend. He is one of the funniest actors ever. The human cartoon. Dumb and Dumber is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. One of the funniest movies ever.

I saw Evan Almighty, it's not as funny as Bruce Almighty, but it is entertaining to watch. It's one of the few movies I didn't fall asleep watching, at least.

Hi,I think I will wait till I get the DVD.. I do not have the time to go to the Movies either way so I guess i will have to wait for the DVD :PBut i guess it will be funny for the actor who plays Evan is a good comedian( he is the boss in "The Office"). I guess it will be a good watch But I think it will be good enough to watch only once or twice not more than that :P

Interestingly enough, the screenplay writer of Bruce Almighty, Steve Oedekerk, wrote a sequel with Bruce Nolan, played by Jim Carrey, as the main character. The studio picked it up, but when Jim Carrey refused to reprise the role, they decided not to replace him, choosing to rewrite the script instead. They turned to Steve Carell, who played a bit part in Bruce Almighty as Evan Baxter, Bruce's archrival and competition for the coveted anchor spot. He was garnering a lot of attention since his move from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart to the lead role in America's version of The Office and supporting roles in a few Will Farrell movies, like Anchorman and Bewitched, and the success of The 40-year-old Virgin proved that he was able to successfully carry a movie as a leading man.

However, Oedekerk's writing style plays more towards the outrageous, physical comedy of a man like Carrey rather than the straight-man comedy of Carell. That's to be expected from the writer of Kung Pow, The Nutty Professor starring Eddie Murphy, and Ace Ventura 2. Without Carrey's over-the-top acting to mask the weak story and plot, the movie falls short of the mark.