xisto Community
Imtay22

Opinion On Phpbb 3?

How do you all like phpbb3? I downloaded it and i am going to upload it soon. So, what are the pros and cons about this forum software? Admin CP? The one thing I would like is custom BBCode. Does it have that?

I am somewhat duly impressed at the upgrade. The new User Control Panel looks sharp and is well organized, compared the the one in version 2. It reminds me a bit of the administrator console in SMF.The pos screen looks a bit better too, but there aren't many real improvements. Mostly just the same elements rearranged, with the addition of the file upload panel.

I am very happy with the new phpBB3. It's built in with a lot more features. Before, I would take phpBB2 and add 100s of hacks to get exactly what I wanted. Well, when I did that, my MYSQL database filled up really quickly, and loading times went through the roof. phpBB3 is much more efficient than phpBB2 ever was, but I still prefer vBulletin.

Well..The phpbb3 is very usefull because it has a lot of tools included and has a lot of options but if you want's to change the style ..... you will have some problems

I like the new style of phpbb3, as it looks modern, but as flajcsi touched on, I wouldn't use it at the moment, not at least until it comes out of beta, mainly because there are no mods, styles or virtually anything available for it at the moment, so unlees you are willing to take a couple of days to edit the old styles, it isn't really worth using it yet.While there are some extra functions built in, it doesn't have many of the custom mods which I've then tweaked for phpbb2, and it would be far easier to tweak pre-made mods, as opposed to rewrite them from scratch, so...I might consider it if there is an easy upgrade route from 2 to 3, but I'm afraid i'll be sticking with phpbb2 for quite a long time yet!

I like the new style of phpbb3, as it looks modern, but as flajcsi touched on, I wouldn't use it at the moment, not at least until it comes out of beta, mainly because there are no mods, styles or virtually anything available for it at the moment, so unlees you are willing to take a couple of days to edit the old styles, it isn't really worth using it yet.While there are some extra functions built in, it doesn't have many of the custom mods which I've then tweaked for phpbb2, and it would be far easier to tweak pre-made mods, as opposed to rewrite them from scratch, so...

I might consider it if there is an easy upgrade route from 2 to 3, but I'm afraid i'll be sticking with phpbb2 for quite a long time yet!

What kind of mods are you looking for?
I think I seen little of mods out there but not alot...have you tried googe-ling it? :D
And yes, PHPBB did recommend not to use it until it is officially done..can't wait though :P

I kinda like the new phpBB forums ones. They're like IPB only just a little different. The old PHPBB forums are okay...

The thing I don't like about IPB forums (like this one) is that you have to pay for the new ones! And they aren't *that* cheap...well to me they aren't. I think the IPB ones should be free again! They're great forums. The new ones have a better control panel. See for your self! (https://invisionpower.com/features/apps) The NEW phpBB forums are like the IPB forums, expect free. :XD: You get get your own FREE one! So you can try it for your self. :):D Although it is a little flashy... click here to get your free phpbb3 forum now!!!

Notice from jlhaslip:
Merged with existing Topic

I have the highest hopes in phpBB 3 but I don't want to install it since it has a stable version, because I don't want to mess with my forum database or whatever. Let's hope the upgrade from version 3 to 3 won't be difficult. I don't mind much for the graphic aspect but I really hope the new version comes with some anti-spam mechanisms, which in my opinion (spam bots) are the cancer of phpbbs right now and installing mods looks easy but then it's not so easy for everyone. Anyway I hope they keep it light and smart.

I love phpBB 3! It has alot of capabilities of its bigger competitors like IP Board and VBulletin! :P My current forum is still in phpBB 2 though. I'm going to convert when my host is done adding its custom mods and other things. I hope my host will let us create and install custom mods this time. :D Also, did anyone know there was a Mod that someone made that will allow you to add paid subscription to your phpBB Forum? :P

I like all my websites to be standards-compliant. I know the old phpBB2 is definitely NOT standards-compliant. Is phpBB3 standards-compliant? Does it have some more high-tech features now like XML/RSS syndication? If it does, I might have to check it out (assuming it is still free).

I like all my websites to be standards-compliant. I know the old phpBB2 is definitely NOT standards-compliant. Is phpBB3 standards-compliant? Does it have some more high-tech features now like XML/RSS syndication? If it does, I might have to check it out (assuming it is still free).

Yes, its still free. That has always been one of phpBB's Perk's over some of the other software out there on the market. :D
Also, about XML/RSS syndication -- Yes, that is availible now too. You should really check it out as there is alot of new stuff they added (And are still adding for that fact of the matter.) :P