xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Old School Arcade Review (tetris)

1985 would be the biggest year of any game designer; however, it would take a Russian Scientist by the name of Alexey Pajitnov to spark one of the biggest franchise in gaming history. In terms of copyright problems to hundreds of spin-offs from the original game this 22 year franchise even rivals the great Mario Bro's in terms of popularity and of course it's clone. I only mere 4 year old back then and never really looked at a video game except for the Atari system, but off course that would change when my parents dropped $100 for a Nintendo system and the rest is history. I had watch a program on the History channel about video games a few years ago so I vaguely remember why tetris became a copyright problem, so I went to wikipedia (yeah I know bad place to go), but with what they had about the problem I would say they were close to what the tv program mention.

So let get down with our old school selves by turning up those speakers and play one of the best gaming beats in history. ****

Tetris-Arcade

Some screen shots

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Game Maker: Alexey Pajitnov

Year: 1985

Levels: unknown ( I have never reach the ending even when I played it on my computer and so I would assume that this stop at level 99)

Price: 25-50 (I only played this a few times on a arcade machine, mostly at pizza hut where I would play until the pizza came out or ran out of quarters, I would believe this was a quarter back then but not to sure anymore).

Sound: 10 (what made this game so awesome was its sweet background music because it made the game more fun to play).

Graphics: 6 (Simple graphics and animation but that wasn't the point of the game because it was all about completing the puzzle and then number of lines).

Mini Games: none

Difficulty: 1-10 then +1 for each additional level pass 10 (to put it bluntly the difficulty changes by every level and so the game is pretty easy at first but once you start getting into the higher levels and a lot faster to make it more difficult to play the game).

Gameplay: Simple turn puzzle piece and put the shape into a open area to create line from 1-4 lines deep.

Plot: COMPLETE THE PUZZLE!!!

First Impressions What can I say tetris kick my butt all over the place once I got to the higher levels I think my best ever and my god! the replay and addictiveness of this game is like beyond Dance Dance Revolution. So once the crazed kicked in sequels of every kind showed up with more challenges and faster speeds then ever before. I don't what else to say about this game only those who had played the original arcade truly know this game and I am one of them. Today's gamer should appreciate the fact that this game knows how to screw with one's mind when trying not to hit the top.

22 years later: Ditto with above comments, I stopped playing at level 15 I believe because just near impossible to make lines quick enough in large groups at least, but still worth the replay value.

Overall Ranking I give this game a Bone Chilling 11/10 and double Ditto from my earlier comments about this game, if you want a truly old school arcade experience then play this game and enjoy one of the best puzzle games of the old school arcade era.

So now for a catchy slogan.....

"Games don't get old, just people!"

--Now for some copyright info--

Images and of course games are copyrighted to its perspective owners blah blah blah. Roms are illegal and so do not get caught blah blah blah or else blah blah blah. Reviews and opinions are my own so don't argue with me unless you can prove otherwise why this game sucks and 100% of the time you are wrong because one your either a new school gamer and don't know a good game when you see it or two, well there is no two so HA!!. All slogans, trademarks and names excluded the games I review are copyrighted to me blah blah and blah. 2007-2009 SM Old School Legend.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

lol i didn't know it was created on the year i was born. but it was still a hit when i a bit older, around age of 5 i think. but the game that had more impression on my was pac man and the space invaders. don't get me wrong though, i also liked tetris. i guess it came down to the more accessible game. we had our family computer (famicom) in the early 90's and the first game we had was mario. when we had our first computer, my game was space invaders, wings and carmen san diego. i was only able to play tetris when i had the handheld, and that was later in the 90's.

"I had watch a program on the History channel about video games a few years ago so I vaguely remember why tetris became a copyright problem, so I went to wikipedia (yeah I know bad place to go), but with what they had about the problem I would say they were close to what the tv program mention."I also saw that on the history channel pretty recently. It dragged on for almost an hour but I couldn't help but watch it because of my love for Tetris. Apparently some other company thought that they had the rights of Tetris and owned it. They went on distributing the product until, I guess, Alexey complained. I think he didn't sue and made out with none of their money.He works for some big company now. I remember him drawing blocks for some idea of another game on the show.I loved filling up the screens with the blocks and listening to the music speed up :P