xisto Community
n2it

New Laptop Advice Laptop technology

Hi, I'm looking for advice.I'm looking to get a new laptop. It will replace my current desktop. Bascially it will primarily be used around the house, and occasionally for travel about 7-10 times a year (including at airports, on planes, etc). I got my last laptop back in 1999 so its been a while.I'm looking at: Dell XPS M1710 (GeForce Go 7950 GTX) or Alienware Aurora mALX I have looked at cnet and both of the vendors sites, but i'm still not sure. Does anyone have any suggustions? the cnet review hinted that the mALX may loose position with the Intel Core 2 Duo...I'll use the computer primarily for internet, gaming (i.e. MS Flight Sim, and games such as Civ,Age of Empires, etc...), video editing. From what i'm reading, it looks like both systems are larger in size then my old compaq presario 1827. Are either of these in line wiht use on an airplane, or to be carried around to different places (internet cafe, beach, etc)?If not, do you have any suggustions for a fast running system (laptop)?Thanks,

Well I have the Dell XPS and I say it is a good system to have and with the right customizations even better or as good as a Alienware computer. Both have power and speed by Dell is a bit more cheaper at stock value then Alienware and by the time you finish tweaking how you want your computer you still will be paying less on the Dell then the Alienware. You have to Remember alienware computers are built for gaming and not for everyday use, while Dell is built for everyday use but can become a great gaming computer depending how much you customize it. I have my Dell XPS for almost a year now and if I remember correctly I got it in August and the only thing I had to replace was the CD-ROM drive.If you looking for power and speed it could go either way, speed same thing but the price is what will make the difference.

This is jst my opinion but I hate Dells and know nothing about the other one, I have heard about Alienware but never really have ever seen or got a computer like that before, but still I hate dells and think you should go the other way.

Look at my topic i posted too, its titled "Looking for a laptop.." theres some pretty good things in there. I really like the stuff from dell and expecially alienware (i beleive imma get alienware) so hopefully that helps :lol:

I really like Hp's DV model, it looks really good and I have seen lots of good reviews from it. The games you mentioned are not very hard on the computer which is why I would recommend the dell over the alienware, but if money is not a problem I would definitely get the Alienware, its design is awesome, I dont know about their support though. If I were you I would investigate in the following forums:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.notebookreview.com/
Check
them out. :lol:

I think Dell would be a better choice. They offer a good after sales service and also there products are great. And I don't have knowledge about the other.

Just as a warning, the dell XPS laptops are very heavy and bulky. I got one before college a couple years ago and it is a brick. Runs amazingly but drains the battery and is not as portable as a normal laptop because of its size and weight. I love the computer but if you are going to travel with it a lot, i would recommend getting one of their other systems that are a bit more portable.

Yeah, I agree, but unfortunatley both latops are fairly bulky, and neither have what could be said to be "portability" on their side (i.e. medium battery life and fairly heavy)As for which to choose it depends on what you want: as a rule, Dell has always been the more reliable of the two brands, whereas Alienware can be cheaper for a higher spec. (but watch out, it can be more expensive!!)If you do get the Alienware, I highly recommend the three year warranty with it as well.In performance terms, they tend to be pretty similar, and both would easily be capable of flight sim, aoe or civ: I have a acer which is capable of runnung those at half the price (btw small plug for an acer: cheap and cheerful yet still have some power)Since both have dedicated graphics, with a core 2 duo processor, they can run anything except the most modern gamesPersonally I would consider two things: how reliable you want it to be, and since you want to use it while travelling, how portable it is, and despite Typomage's protest, the Dell may just push ahead of the Alienware in both cases (but check just in case)

There are a series of micro laptops that are on the market, can't think who might have them but they usually are smaller and weigh even less. I wouldn't say all laptop are bulky, unless you get a wide screen or one of those computers that have those cases that if drop one they don't break on contact. I believe they are called toughbooks and if I remember correctly they would primaroly be used in factors or in the military because of how thick the casing is for those notebooks.

cool dude a nice choice dell is a reputed companyand also very trendyyou should love your laptop next to your missdun worry i know u will take care of your laptop and also install a brand new expensive antivirus