xisto Community
joecool2

Cracking Knuckles, Feet, Neck, Etc.

Hey, I wanted to know how bad can cracking your neck, nuckles and feet can actually get. I crack all them so much I barley know if I do it when I do it. I want to stop :lol:. How much damage can you acctually cause?

I don't know, I crack my neck all the time. Here's a fun article to read about cracking knuckles.

It basically says it's not good to move stuff out of place, but it shouldn't severely hurt your hand, just minor stuff you probably won't notice. Cracking your neck will probably result in visiting a chiropractor and getting him to work on it. I'll see you there! :D Neither one is good for you, but they aren't incredibly serious.

I having heard of cracking your feet, it sounds painful :lol:
Edited by husker (see edit history)

I've heard it can give you arthritis if you do it too much. And I've also heard that the cracking noise is actually popping air bubbles. I don't know, I'm no Med student, but if I were you I wouldn't do it so much. I only do it when it really gets to bothering me... cause I don't want arthritis! :lol:

Well if you a professional back cracker then you would know how much pressure you would have to put on a person without breaking something, but I would say worse case scenario would be the arthritis Smack mention. But I usually crack my back and neck sometimes and I would make the occasional trip to the Chrio to get a full body crack and man does that feel good after she is done with it. My body feels like jello after a 30 minute session and that I feel like I am at peace with the world :lol:.

I don't really crack my neck or whatever part of my body except for my fingers 'cause I never knew those areas could be cracked! I thought it was just some crap movies showed to make the actor look more villain-ish. :lol:

But I read both those articles, good thing that cracking my fingers won't cause me arthritis, I only do it when tension has gripped too much over my fingers, so I guess I am putting them back to place after they've been slightly out of it after hours of work? If so then there is problem, but I seriously don't want to put them out of place now, do I?

And as the article mentioned, cracking/popping noise are air bubbles, of carbon dioxide and nitrogen.

A thick, clear lubricant (made mostly of carbon dioxide and some nitrogen) called synovial fluid is found between the bones.

i have heard that cracking you nuckles can lad to pain down the road but i don't believe it be cause i know people htat have been doin it all ther life and theirs are fine. i know for sure that it makes you nuckles bigger. ok so i don't know for sure but i think it is happening to me. i have know girls that will pick up the habit of popping their fingers and there nuckles seem bigger than usuall. i don't know it could be false. popping you neck and back in the long run can not be good. it wears on your back and can lead to back problems but not bad. try to reframe from doing it. streching the musle is the best bet. if you back hands head whatever hurt just stretch them out, the muscles that is.

it's not good for you, especially if you crack your neck. it would have complications later on. if you crack your neck, the muscles that support the neck stiffens and it won't be able to support your neck properly. when you crack your neck, you feel satisfaction and ease but this is just temporary as later you'll feel the urge of cracking your neck again and again. one way of preventing this from happening is by doing neck exercises to strengthen your neck muscles. stopping yourself from cracking your neck is not that very hard. you just have to control yourself when you feel that your neck is aching. do your neck exercise and you'll feel a lot better. you'll later feel that your neck doesn't always hurt anymore. moreover, you also have to maintain a proper posture when walking, sitting and sleeping to lessen the problems that you would encounter in the future.

There is no scientific proof this is bad. This is an old wives tale. This is so stupid and it's even shown at this little kids site: http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1438-cracking-down-on-knuckles I dont know where people get their info, but they must just not. This has been talked about so long and i wish people would give up on it. they have done scientific studies that it doesn't lead to anything but nothing about how it does.

There is no scientific evidence that cracking your knuckles leads to arthritis. However, it can't be good to repeatedly push a joint beyond its normal physical range.

So dont bend it where it kills you to do it and your good to go.

Now are we going to talk about getting in the water too quick gives you cramps?

Hey, I wanted to know how bad can cracking your neck, nuckles and feet can actually get. I crack all them so much I barley know if I do it when I do it. I want to stop :P. How much damage can you acctually cause?

Alright, so if everyone's sources are right, then cracking your knuckles isn't too harmful. That's good, considering I do it a lot :lol: I can't crack my neck, so I could care less lol. I crack my feet and ankles all the time.....but it doesn't seem harmful. Who needs their feed to bend anyways? And can you get arthritis in your ankle?

I also crack my elbows, knees, and back. Anyone have any news articles on these? :D
I am assuming cracking my back can't be good....but after carrying around a 20lb backpack causing me to slouch over, it gets tense! Of course, I've been trying to work out my back at the gym, that would help heal it, right? Luckily school is out, and I've been doing it less (my back get less tense)...proving that backpacks are way too heavy.

Well, either way, I will probably always continue to crack my back, elbows, fingers, wrists, knees, ankles, and feet....or toes to be more specific. Interesting topic though :D

Cracking too much can give you arthritis, and you do pop something when you pull you knuckles (or something else) I would suggest that you stop before you get to the point where you have severe arthritis, I used to crack my knuckles, but I stopped after I learnt that it can give you arthritis

Cracking too much can give you arthritis, and you do pop something when you pull you knuckles (or something else) I would suggest that you stop before you get to the point where you have severe arthritis, I used to crack my knuckles, but I stopped after I learnt that it can give you arthritis

But that's just it, you CAN get arthritis, they say there's only a 'chance' you 'might' get it, and other scientists have disagreed, saying you can't (have heard from a few people), so I'm questioning whether I can get it or not from this.

Oh well, live life to the fullest :lol: Almost everybody gets arthritis eventually...then again, sucks if you're a computer person lol

There is no scientific proof this is bad. This is an old wives tale. This is so stupid and it's even shown at this little kids site: http://www.kidzworld.com/article/1438-cracking-down-on-knuckles I dont know where people get their info, but they must just not. This has been talked about so long and i wish people would give up on it. they have done scientific studies that it doesn't lead to anything but nothing about how it does.

so is there any scientific proof that it's good? i'm just wondering, since you think it's stupid, maybe you could put something up so you could back up what you just said. what's even more funny was you keep on saying that you doubt the credibility of the information given, but you want to keep yourself on a safe position by stepping back a little and say "they must just not". the reason you find that article on a kid's site is because it's an issue that is getting an alarming response from kids and parents themselves. sure some moms might think the sound is annoying or distracting, and that they use the "arthritis" reason to scare the kids from doing that, but i think they're only using that so kids would stop doing it and not ask any more questions. but the website isn't all hoax about the information, they even gave a few detailed information on what is happening when you crack your neck.

the reason you find a lot of articles about it over the internet is because it's harmful (whether it does cause arthritis or not) and that's alarming enough to spread information on not allowing people to do it. it's not just because people put it up for the sake of putting it up and spreading the information over the internet.

So dont bend it where it kills you to do it and your good to go.

Now are we going to talk about getting in the water too quick gives you cramps?

yes, ignorance is bliss. just because it's not killing you, it's totally okay to do it. the mere fact you're cracking your neck, you're already doing something that is harmful to your system. the effect may not be instantly, but you realize you've become this person who cracks his neck as his habit. like what i've said before, the muscle that supports your neck is the one that is being affected by this harmful addiction. and since you're neck is where your spine can also be located, you're doing something that might have a future effect on your spine. and just because it "may" or "may not" happen, doesn't mean you can be careless about it.

I don't crack my neck too loud but I do. I crack my back but that's just to stretch it. I do crack my ankles though and they're mad loud. Ankles don't hurt. I try not to crack my ankles but all the time it cracks without me noticing or even trying to do it. It's become habitual.

this is my biggest pet peeve in the world.i seriously bug everybody who does it around me because i think it's so disgusting and the noise just freaks me out.i remember watching sometime about bones and joints on bill nye in the third grade and they mentioned something about cracking joints and it's creeped me out ever since.so unless you want a real hard jab from me, don't let me or hear your little cracking.