xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
robocz033

"hard" Delete

is there a way to delete something no matter what. like it always deletes it, because i am trying to install hamachi, and i got a corrupt file off the dl, so i need to delete the folder where it was, then replace it with the new folder. is there anyway to just delete it? when i try normally, it says it cannot delete because it is either write protected, in use, or something else.

when you get that message usually what I do is restart my computer and then delete the folder this usually solves the window process that is controlling the folder. Of course I am interested to know if anyone has an idea as to why a empty folder would still do that even though everything is deleted and the actual program is not running anymore or what be a RAM issue. I might have to bring this up this question in my hardware class and see what others think about it.

Try restarting the computer and then delete it through Windows, like saint_michael said, the process that is using will most likely not be in use. You can always use Linux to delete, because then the process will not be running, or any other Windows process for that matter. Sometimes its harder to remove folders than it should be. If this doesn't work, post back here, or PM me, with the error message it is giving you and I'll try my best to help you out.

If it won't delete after rebooting try booting into safemode. If you still can't delete the folder (in safemode) it probably means you have corrupted data or a virus.

If you can't delete in safemode: it is either a virus, system file or corrupt. If it is a system files, booting into an alternate operating system via CD should allow you to delete it (try searching for a free boot CD which allows NTFS/Fat32 editing, depending on what you have)If it still doesn't delete, then most likely it is corrupt: run a complete check disk on the hard drive to see if it can pick up on it....Unfortunately, if none of these work, the only option left is reformat the drive that is on....if it is a small file, sadly it is easier to just leave it alone...if the dl was an archive, try extracting everything except the known corrupt files.

Try using the dos prompt to override the program in use. It worked for me once upon a time with an evil virus file refusing to go!!I don't know the commands to delete, other than type "cd foldername" to navigate forward to the foldername you typed or type "cd.." to go back a folder. you can that way navigate to your folder the file is in and then possibly try typing "delete filename.extension" - I'm not sure about the delete command...