xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lionking729

Linux On Old Computer

Is there any distro of Linux that would run on a computer with 32MB RAM and 10gigs hard drive? I want to experiment with Linux before trying it on my current computer.Thanks to those who answer in advance.

32mbs of RAM? Oh my... Well, you can try Fluxbuntu—it is extremely minimal, it's like working with a terminal that has a gui, in my opinion. There's also DSL (seems to use the same desktop environment as Fluxbuntu). Not really sure how much RAM these distros take up, but it's probably made for 64mbs or less. Fluxbuntu is not in a stable version, but i tested it out via LiveCD and it worked fine, from what i saw. If your motherboard supports more RAM, i'd suggest getting more.

I believe that the majority of Linux kernels can run in text mode with only 32 megabytes of RAM. My advice to you, create a swap partition and make it huge, like 2 or 3 gigabytes. Virtual memory is over 1000 times slower than RAM, but at least this should work. You can also by more RAM if you need it. Even only doubling your RAM will make a huge difference.