xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lionking729

Whats This Mean?

Does this mean i need to show proof that i bought all this before i can buy XP?

Disclaimer: Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased.

Thanks, i just haven't bought the OEM version of xp before....

No that is stupid you don't need to show proof that you own a computer in order to buy software, I am interested to know where this is written in the XP box or manual you bought form the store.

Anyone can buy an OEM copy of Windows. The whole point of an OEM version is that Microsoft have no obligation to offer support, it can't be upgraded and you can't transfer the licence from PC to PC. All Microsoft require is that you keep the copy 'married' to the same motherboard after purchase. I know many people who buy a few OEM copies of Windows and install them on PCs they build as and when they need to. They buy the copies in advance so there is no delay building a system for a client. If a store is requesting all that proof, email them and ask why they need it. If the answer isn't a valid reason (I can't think of one myself) then email them back and say you are going to buy from elsewhere.

This is similar to the Student Edition of Office. Apparently there are several schemes that microsoft live by:The first is random testing: apparently 1 in some large number of them require you to phone/e-mail/fax etc microsoft with a proof of studentship/receipt of purchase for the required software.The second is the registration process: as you may know, when registering by product activation, it takes down details including motherboard id, and compares it to a personal list of computer parts or similar to check what the computer is, and whether it is a prebuilt pc, etc. - some distributions may require this: no idea what happens if it failsThe third (and most common) is that OEM software is only supplied to people who sell pc components and is only available to people when they purchase a piece of hardware. (apparently a mouse is counted as an essential pice :-P)However, sometimes none of these apply, and there are no checks at all, microsoft presume that you bought it through the third option and as a result you can in theory use it on anything: also microsoft presumes you have bought a computer/ built one to actually want to buy a new operating system: what's the point in buying it if it already came on a purchased computer!