xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Anyone Know Of A Program For Dual Monitors? Need not be free.

I have two monitors hooked up on my computer, VIA Geforce 7800 GS, one DVI one VGA.I love having the extra space for my other apps, I put stuff like my IM's and media players over on the other monitor whilst I have my big programs running on my other monitor.The GFX card came with some software for editing how things work but I have a problem that I don't know how to solve.When I am running a fullscreen game and I drag my mouse over to the other monitor and click, it minimizes the full screen game. This really defeats the purpose of having stuff on the other screen if I can't do anything other than see them.I was wondering if there is any software out there that deals with custimizing dual monitors or anything made for them, it doesn't need to be exactly for my problem because I might find something in it to help. It also doesn't need to be free because I have my ways..lolThanks, does anyone else have this problem btw?

Its not the fact that you have two monitors, its the actual game that you are playing that is closing itself down when you click on the other monitor, or at least that would be my guess. Try it with a different game and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for the reply, I should have put that in the first post but forgot.It is not the game, it does it with all full screen games. I know this because A.)It has done it with everyone so far and B.)When I had a game,warrock, it was a game where you could ALT+TAB something and it wouldn't minimize the game and just bring the window up over the game. When I dragged over the the other monitor with that game open nothing happened, by that I mean it didn't minimize.Good suggestion though, thanks.

The way a game works when it makes itself fullscreen is it takes all the input from keyboard and mouse. If you go click something else it will bring focus to that window (or desktop if you click that). So when you chang the focus the game will minimize automatically and switch to that window even if it is on your other screen. The same thing may happen if you alt+tab and click the mouse so the mouse clicks on the desktop. I have a dual screen as well and have yet you find a way around this other then run in windowed mode on games that support it (call of duty or games like that will not work if you do windowed mode :lol:). Hope this helps you.As for an application to help with this. I don't think there is one.

Yep, theyre right. It's the fact that you're playing a fullscreen game! I had a dual screen (3 at one point :lol: setup) and was trying todo the same thing, only to be informed I couldn't...Two screens still makes it 180% easier though when you're not playing games!

I kinda knew why it does this, but it is hard to believe that there is no way to get around it. Maybe a app that makes windows think all windows are in "windowed" mode but aren't could help?

After thinking about it, the games that use full screen are most likely going to be using DirectX, since it offers faster access to things like video and audio, and contains a lot of code that makes working with images and sound a lot easier. I don't think that there is an application that can get rid of the way DirectX functions, and even if there was, you would be modifying the core code of DirectX, which could lead to unexpected results. I don't think there is much you can do about this one.

Yeah!! thats exactly the same thing that happened to me, the only way to do this would be to make the settings on the game to run on windowed mode, when they are full screen games you really have no option, leaving the second monitor useless. =(, or is there a way to fix this?

I understand what you mean Ghost. But considering that it can be done I am sure some gamer has done it somehow, however safe it is.I usually don't run it in window mode because it takes a lot more RAM then full screen.I still use the other monitor to it's full extent, by putting my TS windows, AIM messages, maybe a webpage or two. I can see what's happening just not able to click them. I use them mostly for my Photoshop and Flash stuff.