xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Setting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

Okay, so recently i got comcast high speed internet and i have a linksys router, but i am told by a bunch of my friends that linksys doesn't really like to work with comcast internet, so i was wondering what kind of router i should get.please only post if you HAVE comcast cable internet not if you THINK you know the answer. thanks :lol:

Your friends are speaking rubbish to you albus I have comcast and using a linksys for my wifi and it works fine and it works even better when I got my modem updated as well. So your good just make sure you set up your router properly and your set.

another testimonial here; ive used linksys and comcast before. It worked great. I don't think your friends really thought that out. Sounds like an individual experience for them. Think of how widespread comcast is, and how popular linksys is (although there are other competitors in the networking consumer market). If there was a compatibility issue, I think somebody would have heard about it :D

wireless with comcast

Setting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

You need to put the MAC address of the comcast cable modem into your router config - spoof

-reply by geoff

seting up wireless internet with comcastSetting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

to : iguest-geoff

I know this will sound stupid - but I have the MAC address, but how do I put it into my router config?  I had comcast install and config my router when they hooked the internet.  I can get wi-fi on the 2nd gen itouch, but not the 1rst gen itouch!  gr!

-reply by niteowl

I have a linksys wireless external adapter,and I just got comcast today, I have a modem in my mothers room, and no router, is there anyway I can intercept thecable internet from the modem in my mothers room, to my wireless external adapter?

hi,

on the address bar type  192.168.1.1 which will take you to the page to reconfigure your router, there change your MAC address and any other information you need to change  like passwords to you router!

hopefully that was some help. ;)

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: how to connect wireless to comcast internet?

Comcast and D-Link wirelessSetting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

Does anybody have this configuration? How do I make it work?

Thanks,

Mike

How to set up the wirelessSetting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

I tried spoofing the MAC address of the router and it didn't work. I spoofed my computer's MAC address (the one the technician used for installation without asking me) on the wireless router, then the cable modem released an IP address to the router.

Before I did this, the cable modem would not give a DHCP lease to the router but it would give one to my computer.

To spoof, go to your administration website on the router (default is 192.168.1.1 in your web-browser), then click the Main tab, then the WAN tab. Click the Clone MACAddress tab and the MAC address of your computer will be entered there. Hit Apply, wait for the device to restart, and it should grab an IP from the cable modem. Then you can surf from your computer.

Cheers.

What worked finally for me (in the wireless router configuration) was to say that the ISP did not need a username and password (duh! now) but instead use static IP, MAC, and DNS addresses. It's working now, we'll see for how long.

Netgear's customer support was lousy - 30 minutes on the phone, and then they tell me I have to subscribe to something to get any kind of techsupport. Needless to say, their products are better than their support.

-reply by Indy

Comcast Wireless Internet SetupSetting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

Hello everyone, I have a question for you guys.

I have comcast wireless internet connection. People in my neighborhood are connecting to my router and my internet speed goes down (and some times I even lose it (no internet for a while)).So, could you guys explain step by step how to put a password to my router or w/e, so people couldnt connect. (I don't have the manual, I threw it out be an accdnt. =( ).Thanks!

-reply by Andrew S

I recently upgraded my internet service provider from Quest to Comcast. I have had a wireless router (not protected by WEP or anything) hooked up for years (even with Quest as my provider). When transitioned to Comcast, the guy helped me set up my wireless and it worked fine. Recently family came to visit, and someone that was visiting me tried to connect to my wireless internet and it would not let them connect. I came to realize that my personal laptop was the only computer that could to the wireless internet. It would be nice to allow other computers connect to the wireless. I would appreciate any knowledge on how to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

You need to look in the router's instruction manual for the default IP address:  for Linksys, it is 192.168.1.1.  Once you have that, type in the IP address into your Internet search bar and this should bring up the router setup login screen.  Enter the user name/password the tech setup for you, or try to find the default user/pass for your router on google (if the tech didn't set up a user/pass).  Make sure you are hardwired into your router with an Ethernet cable during this process.  For obvious reasons, (hackers) most routers will not let you change the settings using wireless.  The tech must have entered your MA address as the only device allowed on the network.  You need to find this section in the setup and change it to allow all devices on the network.  Good luck and I hope this helps.

OMG ok so I've BEEN trying to NO avail to change my IP address. I've sucessfully changed my computers IP (I think) because when I go to whatismyipaddress.Com it shows a different one then what was on there before I changed it (using ipconfig/release, ipconfig/renew--although when I did the release one it told me that the requested operation requires evaluation), I did the CMD in conjunction w/ going to my Network & Internet >Network Connections, right clicking on Wireless Network Connection, clicking Properties, clicking IP version 4 (TCP) Props and changing from "Obtain IP Address Automatically" to "Use the Following IP Address" and entering a bunch of 1's, then the Subnet mask automatically entered in. After doing all of this I went back to WhatismyIPAddress.Com and Booyah my IP was changed. And I still noticed it said Proxy Server detected, also said that before I changed my IP though. ANYway heres the real problem, I have comcast cable and I'm trying to change my MAC IP, I have a Linksys router and I'm pretty sure it's a static IP not dynamic because it stays the same even after I reboot or power off everything. I even changed my Local IP through Linksys website (where I also cloned my MAC IP). BUT everytime I go to this website where I'm trying to order an XMas present for my mom it's so slow, freezes alot (the whole reason why I'm trying to change my Comcast IP because the connection SUX and super annoyingly SLOW) and on the bottom it says my "IP has been logged for security purposes" (which I don't care about the security reasons) just that it hasn't changed even after all the changing I've done to all those other IP's everywhere else!! SO HELP!! Why is my IP STILL the same on these websites even after all that crap I've done to change it elsewhere?? Is this a mysterious IP address that can never be changed and can be linked back to me and I just have to deal with it or what? ANY help would be APPRECIATED!! Thanks!(This website is saying my IP add is 69.249.XXX.XXX, but the whatismyIP website says like 205.Xxx.Xxx.Xx...What's the deal?? I'm SO confused, ugh!)-question by Angelakgrays

RoutersSetting Up Wireless Internet With Comcast

The reason it won't let you connect is because they put a password on your router.  This prevents people outside your home from stealing your internet connection or personal files.  You'll need to remove the password if you want anyone to be able to use your network connection.

Otherwise if you'd like to keep your router password protected, you'll need to find out the password so you can tell it to guests at your house.