xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
techclave

Techclave.com .. Your valuable reviews please,..

Hello people...,

We ( me and my friend) have made our first custom made site and hosted it on good old Xisto .. All these years we have been using templates. So, going for a custom made site was somewhat challenging. But we tried and made something we could.

The most beautiful thing for a mother is her child. So, on a similar line, i do like my site very much. But , i do need comments from you people , so that i could improve on my next work or modify the current site if there are any errors.

You can visit the site at ,

http://www.techclave.com/

do let me know what you think about it..

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately I had a very bad start to trying to use your site:

We do not support Opera Browsers

Instantly this gives the impression that you are catering to only certain people, and I, like many other people, immediately turn away from any site that tries to dictate what browser I should be using. However, you have done better than most by at least providing an alternative site that still provides access to the same material and is still fairly presentable.

The problem seems to be that your javascript uses a method of detecting mouseovers that isn't working properly and therefore requires people using Opera to hold the mouse button down while browsing the site. It should be a relatively simple thing to fix.

Anyway, the Opera version of the site is well presented, easy on the eye and functions well and correctly. The other version (from what I can see using Opera) is also easy on the eye, but a bit more colourful and inviting. Perhaps the four key colours you use could be incorporated into the Opera version too?

Also, the site fails to validate, with 66 errors. These should really be corrected if you want your site displayed as you intended to everyone, and it will also help resolve issues between the different browsers.

Thank you rvalkass , for your review.

the reason:

The opera issue was the hardest one i had to face.. I wanted to design my site as you can see in the firefox or internet explorer browser. I wanted to make that flashy kind of page without using flash.. ie., i tired using many scripts to bring that effect. After i finished on it, i found that it won't work on opera. That was the hardest part i faced. i was not able to ignore that page completely.. so decided to make a new one for opera, and things ended up as they are now.

about the validation, i knew it would happen as there are many scripts used. I am trying to fix errors, but to be honest, i don't think i will be able to fix them all !!!

what would be done :

I would certainly try and perhaps remove that "we dont support page" and try to put that message in a more friendly manner in the fading message box which you can see when you access the site in opera.

One doubt :

The problem seems to be that your javascript uses a method of detecting mouseovers that isn't working properly and therefore requires people using Opera to hold the mouse button down while browsing the site. It should be a relatively simple thing to fix.

I could not get it clearly. Can you elaborate on it ? Which page are you referring here ?? the firefox/IE page or the opera page ??
please let me know the page title an the page name if possible. It could help me out ..

Thank you so much for your time, once again.
Edited by techclave (see edit history)

I could not get it clearly. Can you elaborate on it ? Which page are you referring here ?? the firefox/IE page or the opera page ??

please let me know the page title an the page name if possible. It could help me out ..

When I make your site display the IE/FF page in Opera the problem is that the mouseovers on the boxes in the middle don't work. What I have found is that if you hold the left mouse button down and move the cursor over the boxes then the mouseovers seem to work fine. The problem appears to be that the script either uses a method of detecting mouseovers that isn't supported or uses some browser hacks that have excluded Opera.

Just to make it clear again: I am viewing the IE/FF version of the site but using Opera to do so, just to see why you wouldn't support it.

Interesting website but I like to point out a couple of problems and observations:-When displayed in IE you have javascript errors lines 204, 213 in your javascripts, I believe one of the errors has to do with the ability to have your links blink-also the error I get on line 211 is referring to your drop down skin menu (only affects ie)-With most of your validation errors it is just a simple delete this or lower case that, I ran the index page through dreamweaver and knocked out about 36 errors from your coding mostly small stuff, if interested I could knock out more of the errors and see if I can get it down to at least 10.-Also on your skin selecting script you don't have the drop down button on the bunny skin Other then that, I like the loading screen that you did very interesting and also it's been awhile since I seen someone use that pop out for your website information and also a good skin on your forum as well. So more work put into the site and it should be a good one.

@ rvalkassOh,.. ok . I understand it now. I will check it out. Thanks for pointing it out. Looks a crucial piece of info.@ Saint MichaelYeah, i am pretty aware of those errors. If possible, could you fix the errors you could fix and mail the pages to arunprakashl@gmail.com ?? :D . It would be great if you could do that in your free time, if possible.And, regarding the bunny button, :lol: yeah.. i will put one soon. Forgot about including that button over there . I will fix it soon..Thank you both..