xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeM0nFiRe

Pledge Of Allegiance Does it really make sense?

I've been thinking. Everyday in schools across America we say the Pledge of allegiance, without really listening to the words. I've recently noticed that it doesn't really make much sense. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the united states of America. And to the Republic for which it stands.." The more I think about it, I'm not so sure that makes much sense. I thought it was supposed to be a nation for the people, not a people for the nation. Isn't the nation supposed to pledge allegiance to it's people?What do you guys think?

The Pledge Of Allegiance is about not betraying the country for your own needs or the needs of it's enemies, of course with the stuff I been hearing a lot of people excluding the terrorists are doing a lot of that lately by sell their weapons to the enemy. But to stay on topic the nation is run by the people or it used to be before greed finally settled in, but either way if you pledge yourself to the nation your basically defending the country from those who wish to destroy it, foreign or local.A democracy is supposed to be run by the people, which is true to some aspect; because more then one person decides the fate of who its leaders are and all the good stuff, but again once that first paycheck kicks in, their perspective gets changed from doing the right thing to submitting to the senior leaders and all the stuff.

Well yes a democracy is for the people, by the people. The pledge is just that, a pledge, so when you say it you are pledging your allegiance to our country that is why it says what it does.

Here is some history of the Pledge of Allegiance.

There are many oaths such as this in the government. (See: Oath of Office)

Well, what I mean is the country is actually hurting it's people's future right now. I mean pledging allegiance to a country that does what U.S. is supposed to do makes perfect sense. But when it fails to make good on the promises it made, why do we still have to make promises to it? I'm not really sure either way right now, but I think it's something to really think about.

if you guys want to talk about what you think is wrong with the pledge you should talk about the fact that everyone who says it is agreeing that our country is in the hands of the so called god. a great topic is whether the talk of religion should be in the pledge that all us americans say. me i chose to not say it for that reason and still show respect to my country by abiding to their rules, laws and regulations.

I think all loyalty-pledges are silly. What if a new hitler gets elected president of the US (hey, maybe he already has lol.. :lol: ) Then what good will loyal americans do the world? When the hypothetical new hitler is overthrown, it would be the disloyal people who would be the heroes.

I guess it's not actually saying you ahve to be loyal to he current government, but still, it, like all written things, can be interperated in more ways than one.

I've been thinking. Everyday in schools across America we say the Pledge of allegiance, without really listening to the words. I've recently noticed that it doesn't really make much sense. "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the united states of America. And to the Republic for which it stands.." The more I think about it, I'm not so sure that makes much sense. I thought it was supposed to be a nation for the people, not a people for the nation. Isn't the nation supposed to pledge allegiance to it's people?
What do you guys think?

I never really thought of it that way and i listen to the pledge of allegiance almost every other day. I dont really recited but i just show my respect to the people who do. I always thought that when Americans pledge allegiance to the nation they are pledging their allegiance to the ideals and the people of the United States. If only George Bush would pledge allegiance to the constitution if that ever happen then this country would be better off.