xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Yahoo Copies Gmail/gtalk Set Up Within Their Own Email

Well this morning actually is when I notice that yahoo decided to add in their yahoo messenger within their email. Interestingly enough the set up looks almost familiar, like I have see it before...hmmm... oh thats right gmail/gtalk have something just like it :lol:. Or close to it since it is not a direct copy of the gmail/gtalk set up, it makes me wonder if Hotmail and msn messenger teams are working on something as well to help them try and gain ground on google products and idea's they have been popping up in the last few years.So if you got a yahoo account check it out and what not and see what it is like.

hmm, ill have to check that out. i know that msn has their messanger online already on a different page, but i dont think they will put it within their email client, that would be too much. they are pretty much the most popular messenger besides aim. however, i do like msn a lot better. but im gonna check on gmail and yahoo now, thats for pointing that out.

I've checked it like a week or two ago and believe me, it isn't that good and it quite buggy for now.Maybe they'll improve the service from now on. Y!M has been my second favorite messenger but Yahoo! Mail has never really fascinated me. :lol:But yes, it is kinda funny how MSN and Y! are trying to copy all of Google's ideas. But believe me if MSN is integrated into Hotmail, it's gonna be even worse. Hotmail wasn't ever really used by me for mail, I just didn't like it and now with the MSN integration, I get a feel this is going to be messy. We know it's all shine, but when it comes to functionality, it'll hardly offer anything more than shiny buttons!

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Hotmail sort of displays MSN doesn't it? I havn't visited my hotmail account for ages, but if you were signed into MSN and on Hotmail you could see the status of your contacts from a little bar at the top and change your status. I'll check out the Yahoo Mail thing though, sounds interesting :lol:

This is really something everybody should integrate into their email...Having the two so closely related only makes sense. IM and Email, I mean. They are basically the same thing, just IMing is a lot faster but less used. I think in a few years we're going to see more people integrating these. They will probably most likely even integrate in a lot better ways too.

where is this located in the mailbox page? is it only available in beta? i wonder how they're able to integrate that feature, considering you're not allowed to log-in on a same account on two different stations, or in this case, different applications. i know gtalk/gmail allow that because they append the resource name (i.e., the application name) on the end of the email address. for example you have a gmail account of john.doe@gmail.com, when you connect to your mailbox, it instantly signs you in on the chat app integrated in the mailbox. and if you check the message format sent by that account, it has the following jabber ID format: john.doe@gmail.com/gmail (and sometimes it includes some alphanumeric sequence). when you're connected to a gtalk client, it would have the jabber ID of john.doe@gmail.com/gtalk. in that sense, you could login on different jabber-compliant chat apps using the same jabber ID. pretty amazing huh? lol this was part of my thesis that's why i know these stuff. :lol:oh wait... it's about yahoo! hehehe. too bad i rarely use my yahoo account anymore.

yes... yahoo is trying to gain stand in their email race with google. but i have never felt yahoo can ever come close to gmail in its features. yahoo mail is a way behind gmail.... gmail rocks!