xisto Community

Ubuntu, any of the flavours it comes in: * Ubuntu* Ubuntu server (needs more experience with linux - no GUI)* Kubuntu * Xubuntu* UbuntuStudioThe only difference with Ubuntu Server is that it comes fully optimised for server performance - no GUI pre-installed, and basically nothing that a server would not need. I would go with standard Ubuntu for a server, especially for those people who are new to Linux. If you're feeling fancy, you might want to try * Gentoo * LFS (Linux From Stratch)though these both need a lot of experience with Linux. And if you want a windows clone, try * ReactOS (still in development stage, but still an awesome project)I think I may have heard about Trustix, but I can't remember in what context, and I think I would have remembered had it been positive. I'm not saying anything at all against Trustix - just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's no good XD - but if you are new to Linux, you may want to stick to a distribution that is known for a smoother learning curve, such as the *buntu's.-E

Edited by elrohir (see edit history)

Yeah i tried the Ubuntu server and found out that there was no interface so i just said to bad for that. I think i might go for LFS or ReactOS. I never thought much of React but if you say it's ok then it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the reply. Never heard of LFS or Gentoo

The advantage to ReactOS is that it can natively run both Linux and windows binaries natively. If you don't like the lack of GUI, I would go with Ubuntu (not server edition), since it's relatively easy to install a server (all the programs are available through the repositories). Or you could take the server install, so that it is all pre-installed and run

apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
That installs a gui. Press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X (or restart, if that doesn't work, since X will not be running yet). If you are not greeted with a graphical login, you may have to press Ctrl-Alt-F7 to switch to the right tty. Again, I strongly recommend Ubuntu :lol: