xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
amist

Relationship long distance relationships

So I just finished my freshman year of college and June 1st will be my girlfriend and mines 1 year! I'm incredibly excited about it because we have been doing the long distance thing (which really sucks and I would never recommend it to anyone who wants to stay sane). There where so many people who said that it would never work but so far we have done nothing but prove them wrong. Oh well, Im not really expecting anyone to care about my relationship but I still just thought that I should let everyone know :)

There is different levels and many misconceptions surrounding long distance relationships. Is it an offline or internet relationship?, how far is far? Do you ever see each other? I so, How often? All thos eplay a part when stating "Long distance relationships do not work.." If you're serious about her, and she is serious about you, then it will work, and if your both mature then it has even better success rate.What I see happening these days is those chat rooms where you meet up, and you see a few pictures maybe even webcam etc, and she is fairly hot, you give her a few pictures and she thinks your cute, and give the whole relationship a go but they always no they can still hold another relationship and the other person would never know. Its how immature people are becomming with relationships these days.

there's nothing wrong with having a long distance relationship with someone. it's possible but it's very difficult to maintain. you have to have a great amount of trust for each other so your relationship would work out. it also has to be a two-way thing---both of you have to make the relationship work, not just you or not just her. once one of you starts to falter, then the relationship has to end. constant communication is the best way to keep the relationship going. it's going to be really difficult since, as a person, you long for that physical connection. you wanna see and feel so you could feel the presence. it's like saying about ghosts, "to see is to believe". it's good if you can travel just to see each other personally, all the longingness for each other would be relieved. but if you can't, any kind of material that would remind you of your loved one would be good (although i doubt it's enough, if it's really getting into you).

The reason long distance relationships are known for not lasting is because it takes a ton of effort from both people. First of all, both of you would be leading basically separate lives since you do not see each other very often. This means you need to talk a good amount so that you know what is going on, whats bothering them, what small things you can do to make them smile, etc. This takes lots of effort and trust and sometimes is why they dont work. When you are not around someone very much, people do change and thats a fact. Other things that tend to ruin long distance relationships has to do with trust since especially at college you have more oppertunities to cheat, etc than ever before and this can be a problem for people. For me, i guess i currently am in a long distance relationship but its just for the summer. We go to the same college but live in different areas. Thankfully, its less than 3 hrs away so i can see her and she can see me but so far this summer we have had opposite schedules. The days i have off, she has to work and visa verca. Thankfully, we talk atleast once a day so i know how her days are going, what shes up to, and when she has off work every week hoping that eventually they will coincide with my days. Let me tell you, it has been the hardest 3 weeks of my life so far being apart from her. I have not been dating her too long but we clicked from the day i met her and when you are at school and see someone almost every day, its hard not being able to. I imagine that this is another reason distance relationships dont always work out. Without seeing someone, its just tough emotionally since when you care about someone a lot, you want to be with them all the time but know you cant.

I had a long distance relationship with my fiance for years. It was tough because I couldn't give him any hugs or spend time with him. Many things came up where we couldn't move in together until years had passed. It was worth it though since he's here now and he and I are getting married this year. It may be tough to do but its worth it if you can trust the person.

Hey man that's great to hear that you have been going for a year! I know it can be really hard to have a long distance realationship because of the physical contact also (hold hands, snuggling, things like that) can be pretty luring. I'm glad you guys have been doing well and I hope that you can keep on going. Hopfully you will not have to keep it a long distance relationship. I'm sure if you guys keep in touch at least and stay in love you will be perfectly fine :). Just make sure you keep on doing what you are doing and you will be fine :). Good luck with everything and many blessings.-Jester