xisto Community
moldboy

Outlook Express Won't Talk To Isp's Pop3 Server

This all started yesterday when I opened up Outlook express. It sat at the Send/Receive window for a time then told me the server wasn't responding, and I could wait or stop. Upon stopping I got this error:

A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'mail.yourlink.ca', Server: 'mail.yourlink.ca', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Now I've just switched to this ISP, and figured that maybe it was a problem on their side, and I'd let the problem wait a while. Later that day same thing happened, so I tried logging into their web based mail system, that worked. I used mail2web.com to access it, that also worked. I have a laptop on the same network, so I set up Outlook express in it, that downloaded the messages. So I have come to the conclusion that it isn't the ISP. I turned off the firewall and placed the computer in the routers DMZ, still nothing. And I have removed and reentered the account information several times. Though I may have to try it, switching to a different program isn't really an option as I am not the sole user of this computer and other people don't like change.

Any thoughts?

Some ISPs have different mail server names. For example it could be SMTP.ispdomain.ext for outgoing and POP.ispdomain.ext for incoming email service.Please check with your new ISP for correct settings. It's only been in recent years that ISP started to use the universal term MAIL.ispdomain.ext. My last ISP required for me to actually identify which POP server, like POP.ispdomain.ext or POP3.ispdomian.ext.

actually my old ISP was that way, this one is different. I'm certian because I was able to make the same settings work on my portable.UPDATE:Restarting the computer fixed the problem, don't know if it will come back though...

Edited by moldboy (see edit history)