xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
robocz033

After Downloading Opensuse

after i download openSUSE, do i just restart my comp and the option will be there to boot to it? or do i need to set something up. some input would be good.

This depends on what you have downloaded. OpenSUSE has two separate versions to download - the install disk set, or the live disk. The install disk, obviously, allows you to install OpenSUSE. The Live Disk will allow you to try out OpenSUSE, but not install it.Boot into your current operating system and place the disk in the drive (or open the disk drive on boot, if you have no operating system). Put the disk in the drive and reboot. You will be presented either with the installation screens or a menu to boot a 'test' version of OpenSUSE on the live disk.Also, make sure that your computer boots from the CD drive before the hard disk drive. Go into the BIOS (usually by pressing Del or F2 or something during boot) and make sure the CD drive is set to a higher priority than the hard disk drive to boot from. Otherwise, your computer will skip reading the disk as soon as it sees you have an operating system on the hard disk.

um, i downloaded the os online, so i have it on my hard drive, so, obviously, the cd stuff doesnt apply to me. but ty anyways. i need to know what to do once it is downloaded and on my hard drive.

Are you talking about the .ISO file, or do you mean you've already installed the operating system?If you have downloaded an .ISO file, you need to use some CD burning software, such as Nero or Sonic to write that ISO file to a DVD or CD. You can then boot from this into the operating system.If you have already installed the operating system then all you need to do is reboot and you should get a choice of what operating system to boot into, if you have OpenSUSE and Windows on the same hard drive.

If what you downloaded are the ISO files I believe there is no other way. You need to burn those files into a CD so that it will work for you. Virtual CD Drives which can read ISO files like a CD-ROM drive is not useful either because this virtual drives runs on an operating system therefore can not be use as boot drive.

ok, i downloaded the dvd of openSUSE, i am not sure if i can do this. i read that all i need is the linux and another file on a flash drive, but i couldnt understand what they were saying. lol.

Ive check the website of OpenSUse and this is what i found out.There are two type of installation process the local installation and the internet installation.In your case since you have downloaded the dvd version it is local installation which still needs a disc boot. To have a bootable disc you really need to burn what you have downloaded dvd version or the cd version. Even in internet installation you still need to download and burn 1 disc which is the bootable disc. Since you are not into burning disc at the moment you could try the internet installation. Although it still require a bootable disc but you can try using your flash drive as bootable. I haven't tried this but theoretically it will work, download the bootable ISO then if you have a virtual cd-rom drive open the it (ISO you downloaded using the virtual drive) and copy and paste all the files into your flash drive. Restart your computer and enter Bios then find the option that will allow bootable removable drives. This will enable the ability of your unit to boot from removable drives like your flash drives. Hopefully if you have done that successfully then when you start your computer it will boot from the flash drive and will start the internet installation process. Even if this works, this is not a safe installation method because you might experience a network (Internet lag or disconnection) problem along the way and forcefully ends the installation and you might have to repeat the whole process. I strongly suggest you burn those ISO file into disc to save you some headaches later.

just making sure i read it right. i download the stuff for internet installation. then put that on my flash drive. then choose my flash drive to boot first, then go from there. and if possible, could u provide a link because i am very busy with hw atm.

ok, i finally gave in and bought cds. ugh, but when i try and boot from the cd rom drive, nothing happens. it just boots windows. i checked the boot sequence again, and it was from the cd drive first. so i will try again tomorrow after my exams (finally school is almost over) and if it doesnt work, i will be back!