xisto Community
XeNoToSs

Windows Long Horn? dunno...its wut i hear

Windows longhorn is a memory hog, it uses 120mb of memory compared to the 15-20mb Windows XP uses :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

....its in beta, you cant *BLEEP* about a program that hasnt been released yet because you dont know what optimizations are to come. Howver my last look at longhorn was well... i didnt like the look but we will see what is to come it has a ways to go yet and wont be released for a good while. Will it be another windows xp(flagship os)? or another windows me (flop).

Windows longhorn is a memory hog, it uses 120mb of memory compared to the 15-20mb Windows XP uses :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you are in your senses, I install windows and check my ram indicator! daMN.. I was wondering where did my 160 mb go. So windows XP does take a *BLEEP* load of resources. And it is a general rule that as operating system progress, they do take increased amount of resources. But they also give that much of stability, reliability, performance etc. in return. Don't believe me, Start off with DOS to Windows XP and see for yourself.

I hope you are in your senses, I install windows and check my ram indicator! daMN.. I was wondering where did my 160 mb go. So windows XP does take a *BLEEP* load of resources.

I agree with that. On my machine, WinXP takes nearly 100 MB of memory at this moment...
Win98 was taking hardly 15-20 MB. Probably that was what zzzzz was referring to?

....its in beta, you cant *BLEEP* about a program that hasnt been released yet because you dont know what optimizations are to come. Howver my last look at longhorn was well... i didnt like the look but we will see what is to come it has a ways to go yet and wont be released for a good while. Will it be another windows xp(flagship os)? or another windows me (flop).

COPIED POST!!!

Edited by googlue (see edit history)

COPIED DOUBLE POST!!!

Edited by googlue (see edit history)

I hope you are in your senses, I install windows and check my ram indicator! daMN.. I was wondering where did my 160 mb go. So windows XP does take a *BLEEP* load of resources.  And it is a general rule that as operating system progress, they do take increased amount of resources. But they also give that much of stability, reliability, performance etc. in return.  Don't believe me, Start off with DOS to Windows XP and see for yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cant compare that, DOS has no gui or anything, so of course it wont be any such thing as a memory hog. Also, if you know how to tweak xp then you wont be losing much memory at all, my system gennerally uses ~60mb ram, but now that I am using IIS for web development and testing my scripts well i us about 70-80 on average. Just disable all services you dont need and eliminate crap out of the task bar... very simple. For anyone wishing to tweak xp, i HIGHLY reccomend http://www.blackviper.com/ he has a sweet list telling you what you can disable and explaining what it does and why you wouldnt need it :D

I wouln't be surprized if the retail version of longhorn does take at least 128mb RAM to run properly, even without all those new fancy menu bars and eye candy.

XP already runs like *BLEEP* on 128mb of memory. On XP you need atleast 196mb to run without always swapping to the hard drive. I suspect long horn will be the same if not more. Has anyone actually tried long horn yet? I was going to donwload it but didn't want to put it on my computer because it is probably more buggy than XP.