xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
velma

Why Are Organ And Blood Donations So Less? Even though the population is huge

Hey,There are billions of people in this world but still people die because there was No organ available or no blood available. I mean how is that possible when there are so many people who can easily pass the requirements for donation. I have donated my body to a hospital so that after I die they can claim my body for practice or any kind of a medical venture. Heck! they can do whatever with my body after I die except my eyes for they too are donated so that it can help somebody in some way.I do not think that our planet is so filled with disease that it is difficult to get body parts. There are crimes where people end up killing and stealing organs for money or for someone they know. I would love to know your thoughts.

I totally have to agree with you!I'm in high school and at our high schools we have blood drives and everyone ages 16+ have the chance to donate and i donate every blood drive. I ask some people, why don't you donate blood, and i get many excuses. One of which is because they are religious and don't think they should give up something that 'god' gave to them. meh. :)i also get excuses like, i just don't want to. or 'i think the govt does tests on the blood they shouldn't be doing, so i don't donate my blood.'in California, on the back of drivers license applications there is a box that people have the option to check to sign up for the organ donor registry and i personally think that everyone should check it. because you can have the opportunity to save someones life, or when they call you up to ask you about it you can reject them.I donate blood through a program called blood source, and they also accept other donations like bone marrow etc... and once i turn the age to donate things other than blood i defiantly plan to do that, and i think everyone should but unfortunately other people don't. and it's kinda really really sad.

My reason that I can not donate blood is I have a low count of B antigen or something like that. Other than that I'm good. I was sad I couldn't give blood and plus I gave a pint or so of blood for nothing. lol. I don't really know how much I gave. It was a whole bag. For body parts I would donate myself when i die. I mean what use do I have of them when I die. The doctors can use it to save another humans life. But some reasons maybe because of religious beliefs. I know my grandma is Buddhist and I asked her about donating her organs and she told me she would have to some higher power that question. I guess maybe some sign will tell her she could or could not donate her organs if someone needed them. I still don't get her answer. haha Maybe ignorance of the donation can be a possibility. Maybe not enough about it is advertised or said. Than sometimes people are just scared of donating blood because of the needles or blood itself. You would think that people would donate blood for a greater good but they just make up excuses or lazy. Ehh that's all i could come up with.

Hi,I agree with the two of you, Somehow everybody has to justify because they are scared or something. I had a friend who was hated the sight of blood but once there was an accident near our place and the guy needed blood urgently and no kidding the amount of blood that he had spilled was a lot and because she was "O" type and healthy she could have left with the ambulance to donate but she just stood there cribbing on the fact that it hurts and all that kind of rubbish. It was pathetic for that man was dying and she was just thinking about some petty thing.Rather than stupid issues like celebrity divorces and all I think they should concentrate more on donation camps and educate people on every step rather than just begging people to donate for I think they would donate if they knew what they were doing. One of my seniors used to take his own needles for blood donation but he would always go and donate. He would sometimes carry lots of extras in case there were others who wanted it or the donation camp wanted it. But I guess this problem might be solved if stem cell technology unfortunately though people who might need a body part urgently might not be as lucky if the problem of donation is not solved.

Well to put it bluntly with the organs you basically have to be dead or dying, because you have one of each except for the lungs and kidney and if your still living that won't help as much as the other person. With blood thats a bit trickier do to the fact that most blood cannot be accepted due to millions of reasons and most of them fall in the lines of some sort of disease that makes the blood bad and so that is the only legit excuse people will have. Of course the got the normal excuses such as I don't want or I am to busy ands stuff. For me though I don't trust blood banks because you don't know how clean they are and I wouldn't like the fact that I somehow caught a rare disease because of some dirty needle. I will admit not all blood banks are like that but I can't trust a needle that I don't see for myself or if the building they are in is worse the the outside is.

Wow. I didn't know that people actually stole other people's body parts. Now I am affraid to go to sleep to night. :) Well I'm not donating my whole body to science, but I am donnating all my organs to science and organ donation. I mean, when you die and you say you want a proper burial, and you dont say you are an organ doner, think of all the organs you are wasting. Somebody could have used those! It makes me sick, thinking about that little six-year-old girl in pig tails, lying on her death bed, just because she couldn't get a kidney. So If it is not in your will, go right there right now and put "Organ doner" on it. You don't have to do anything huge like donate your body to science, even the smallest effort helps. Hell, now you can donate your kidney or lung and live to tell your grandchildren about it. As soon as I turn six-teen, I'm donating blood.

I'd give my blood & (some) organs if i had the chance, knowing that i've helped someone else would give me a rush (kinda like crack does (lol i wouldn't know)). Part of the problem of people dying due to failing organs is, not only the unwillingness to donate of so many people, but also mistakes made by hospital staff, accidents (e.g. dropping the organs - although unlikely could happen) and rare blood types.

I have chronic infections, so I can't donate blood. If I ever get those cleared up...and if I go more than six months without getting a new tat...I'll be good to go. I'm type A+, so it's not like my blood is in high demand or anything...but still.Some religions forbid blood donation. One group - I want to say Jehovah's Witnesses - believe that sin is in our blood. So...no donating or receiving blood.As for organ donation: when I'm dead, I'm not going to need my body anymore. Let somebody else have whatever can be salvaged and reused.

Some may have low blood types, so I guess some may use it as an excuse to not give blood. Furthermore there are those that get tatoos, and as said before by others elsewhere that takes up a bit of blood. There is also religions, eg Jehovahs and so forth with their beliefs regarding blood.As for donation, personally, thats fine when I'm gone, body parts are not going to be required, so I said yes to let whoever have whatever can be reused.

I have to agree here. You aren't going to need your organs after you die so why bother keeping them? I like to call it selfishness. I can understand if your religion doesn't allow it but for those who lie about it saying it's against their religion, shame on them. Of course if you have a health problem that may hurt someone else if your organs are placed in them then no don't donate them. For blood giving, same thing. If you have the blood to spare, go for it. If everyone did that then we should have cellars with blood to spare. Of course some people can't give blood for health reasons again because it may bring harm to themselves but my friend who is afraid of blood and faints when he sees it still gives blood. Once I turn 16 I'll be giving blood when the blood mobiles come around to my school as well.

The number 1 reason people's objection to organ donation is "priority." The word priority in hospital term means who gets to live and who doesn't. I know, it sounds barbaric. In business situation like ER (not the TV program :)) patients are handled and cared by the priority situation--who has the most severe case? This is a fact.

But this fact is also intertwined with the misconception that if doctors find out you are a donor, and someone needs your matched organs, the doctors may not be inclined to "save" you with all their might. This is not a fact. The doctors took an oath that they will treat every patient as equally with the highest regard; to do no harm (The Hippocratic Oath). But the modern medicine practices have been polluted by legal words. So the mere action of slight hesitance by the hospital administrators are met with the myth that goes around spooled whole bunch of ill-founded stories. And this rumor basically blanketed the general population that if you are a donor you might be harvested if your chance of survival is slim. It's sad.

But take heart; although organs might be still hard to transplant there's new research that will make donating blood a thing of the past. At this time I cannot further comment on how and who can do this, but the scientists have found a way to synthesize blood from virtually small samples--almost unlimited supply of universal blood, O+. There are 8 blood types but only 3 blood classes. And the fabrication of this universal blood group means with what's already in the blood bank, they can manufacture the much needed plasma the real important part of blood for transfusion. This cuts the chance of rejection by the traditional transfusion method which includes red blood cells and their compatibility. It won't be long until this research is accepted by the world health organization.

But take heart; although organs might be still hard to transplant there's new research that will make donating blood a thing of the past. At this time I cannot further comment on how and who can do this, but the scientists have found a way to synthesize blood from virtually small samples--almost unlimited supply of universal blood, O+. There are 8 blood types but only 3 blood classes. And the fabrication of this universal blood group means with what's already in the blood bank, they can manufacture the much needed plasma the real important part of blood for transfusion. This cuts the chance of rejection by the traditional transfusion method which includes red blood cells and their compatibility. It won't be long until this research is accepted by the world health organization.

I've read about the synthesis of blood as well, I think in the Popular Science magazine. If I had the article I would be able to give more information but it seems like a really interesting concept. I've also heard they are working on doing the same with organs which is probably a lot harder but will save more lives and maybe eliminate the possibility of doctors being "less inclined" to save you that you spoke of earlier. I guess I didn't really think about all possibilities before I made my post earlier but that does seem like a likely problem as well. Sure no one will admit to it if it does occur.

wel to reply on this subject.personaly i don't know why most people don' t wanne be a donar,i' m 22 years old and i thought about it but never filled in the papers, cause basicly , i didn't get informed they way i want to be informed, its just that its nice and all that people are being donaters of there organs after they , die ( or is it).B asicly i heard alot of bad stuff about organ donation, cause where i live,(holland)there where people murdered for the organs , meaning some had a broken lag and misteriously died for no reason he was in perfect health,but he died, and they never knew the answer ,till a few months ago, cause there where more mysterious death there, so what was going on everyone asked, wel 1 dokter there pict out who was a donar, and basicly killed them for there organs, to save other people, meaning being donar has mixed feelings, for my and i think 755 of the non donars here, have this factor in there mind, what if u have to go to the hospital, and what if they kill u for the organs, .well basicly i think its maybe worth risking bout i just want to know more about it all,more info more about this subject,but whenever a lil boy or girl is in trouble ,for something minor as some blood or something else i could donate i wouldn' tt assetate, i would donate it right away, but organs atm ,no i don't feel happy with it at this age and time, when i get older i' ll look into it more, and then i will look it all through againgreetz crazy

The reason I do not donate is because I cant stand the tought of losing my blood. I am not afraid of much at all. Its werid that this is my biggest and pretty much only fear. Its so strong, that I might go in a panic attack if I was to give blood. Plus with all these rules and such I really don't see the need.My mother had her drivers licence with a heart, and I saw that and begged her to chnage it. When she is to die, I want to her rest. And the tought of some of her body parts still living, and her soul not. Just made me go crazy. And thanksfully she changed it.

lily